What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

RL1908

Bench
Didn't Rugby League formerly use the version of finals that the AFL currently uses up untill 1999? It seemed that year both codes just shook hands and swapped finals systems

It was used by the ARL in 1995 and '96.

The ARL used a top 7 in 1997, and the NRL a top 10 in 1998. The present NRL system was adopted in 1999.

The AFL adopted the old ARL model in 2000.

So those calling for the AFL system to be adopted are actually calling for a return of the old ARL system.

Finding the Premier Club
(a review of the premiership play-off systems since 1908).

mickdo

Coach
NRL system sucks. The team that runs 6th should not be able to lose their first game of the semis and STILL be able to win the GF!!! Ludicrous.

NRL system sucks. The team that runs 6th should not be able to lose their first game of the semis and STILL be able to win the GF!!! Ludicrous.

Almost as ludicrous as the 6th team having an unearned home final ... oh wait that happens in the AFL system.

Hass

Juniors

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

It hasn't happened yet, but it will happen one day and there will be much gnashing of teeth when it does.

I prefer neither the AFL (old ARL) nor the McIntyre system. I prefer the Final 5.

But money talks.

nomarg

I voted AFL but both systems suck-

1 and 2 should get a week off.... the go into a qualifying GF game they can afford to loose.....

Eelectrica

Referee
i hate the fact that in alot of cases your fate depends on how other teams go.

for instance 3rd can be playing 6th and 6th can lose and still be playing the next week. because of other results. Semi finals should be about playing for something.

3rd can win and still not get a week off.

first round should be 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd for a week off and first crack at the grand final.

5th vs 8th and 6th vs 7th should be elimination games and your fate is only in your own hands.

If you don't lose, you can't get eliminated. Pretty simple.

What I like about it is it favours the top 2 teams more than the rest which is fair enough I think.

The anomoly is if teams both 7 and 8 win first up team 7 gets the tougher game week 2.

18to87

First Grade
If the 1 and 2 win this weekend then what was the point of even having week one of the finals?

Storm are smashing Manly yet next week they will be level again. Makes no sense.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If the 1 and 2 win this weekend then what was the point of even having week one of the finals?

Storm are smashing Manly yet next week they will be level again. Makes no sense.

What if Parra end up winning the comp? Might aswell not have a finals series.

El Diablo

Post Whore
it's the ARL system, not the AFL system

the ARL used that top 8 system in 95 and 96 and the AFL copied it in 99

18to87

First Grade
What if Parra end up winning the comp? Might aswell not have a finals series.

Maybe Parra shouldn't be in the finals. Have a top 6 or top 5 as mentioned. I think Parra should have to prove themselves worthy to play a top 4 team like in the other system.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Maybe Parra shouldn't be in the finals. Have a top 6 or top 5 as mentioned. I think Parra should have to prove themselves worthy to play a top 4 team like in the other system.

Yeah, and then the Tigers vs Eels game means nothing and doesnt get 34,000. Parra doesnt sell out against Penrith, Newcastle vs Penrith last week is a dead rubber match.

Sounds to me what some are saying is that they want a top 8 system, but teams 5-8 shouldnt be allowed to win it because it doesnt look good.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Imagine

Manly v parra @ Brookie Loser GOOOONE
Bris v Newcastle @Sancorp Loser GOOOONE
Dogs v Gold Coast @ ANZ 33000
St Geo v Melb @ OKI 18000

I would rather that than watching 16000 at etihad in a game that is basically swap partners turn around go again

Alex28

Coach
It shouldn't even be a Top 8 - finishing 8th in a 16 team comp should not earn you a chance of winning the comp. Should be a Top 5 - and I understand that the team I support would have missed out on a Top 5. I don't think we've played well enough this year for a shot at the title.

But on the other hand...possibly seeing Manly leave the comp in the first week after finishing 5th is kinda fun :)

18to87

First Grade
Yeah, and then the Tigers vs Eels game means nothing and doesnt get 34,000. Parra doesnt sell out against Penrith, Newcastle vs Penrith last week is a dead rubber match.

Sounds to me what some are saying is that they want a top 8 system, but teams 5-8 shouldnt be allowed to win it because it doesnt look good.

Not at all. It is quite plausible that Manly will be playing next week and so will the Storm. Any system that has one team thrashing another then has them back on level points with an equal chance to win the comp the next week is seriously flawed.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It shouldn't even be a Top 8 - finishing 8th in a 16 team comp should not earn you a chance of winning the comp. Should be a Top 5 - and I understand that the team I support would have missed out on a Top 5. I don't think we've played well enough this year for a shot at the title.

But on the other hand...possibly seeing Manly leave the comp in the first week after finishing 5th is kinda fun :)

How many do you think would have gone to/watched the Knights belt Penrith last week had we been using a top 5 or 6 system.