What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Well said. It's a terrible system and embarrassing that we changed from the far superior system the AFL currently uses. We used to laugh at them for such a strange finals system.

Mayor West

Juniors
Have to agree. I thought that game deserved to be a grand final but i'm not exactly sure what the right answer is, maybe i'll just collect a few splinters over here!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
They have been lucky all season the Tigers,so many close fluke wins,they haven't played any better then the Eels or Knights or any other team outside the 8.

Plod plod you go Tigers

mepelthwack

Juniors
If Manly wins the McIntyre will again be shown up for the farce it is but maybe this will be the final straw.

How can it possibly be fair that the team that finished equal 2nd, 3rd due to for and against, be eliminated after just one loss?

Then, the chooks (SIXTH) get promoted to a week off and 1 win from the Gf.

What an absolute joke the McIntyre system is.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Idiots stop complaining,if you wanna win the grand final then keep winning a long the way and you won't have to worry about the system,pretty simple.

LOL @ LOSERS crying that the system doesn't help losers(Tigers)

IFR33K

Coach
If Manly wins the McIntyre will again be shown up for the farce it is but maybe this will be the final straw.

How can it possibly be fair that the team that finished equal 2nd, 3rd due to for and against, be eliminated after just one loss?

Then, the chooks (SIXTH) get promoted to a week off and 1 win from the Gf.

What an absolute joke the McIntyre system is.

Buddy the Mctntyre system is good. Its a fair system in the sense that any 2 teams can meet in the GF. If the Tigers lose and there are other upsets, and tigers are out, then so be it. You shouldn't be losing in finals footy, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Coaster

Bench
I vote for the AFL system, there is no way the Tigers deserve to be booted first week.
The season is soooo f#cking long, and you can have it taken away in the blink of an eye first week of the finals because you ended 3rd on f&a

typicalfan

Coach
Meh. It is either a farce already or it isn't. We have known for its entire existence that 3rd place can be eliminated.

docbrown

Coach
There's one way to guarantee a home final: win.

The Tigers lost. The Warriors lost. I like both those teams but I've got no problems with either one being eliminated becaused of that.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The Mctntyre system is good if you want a system that cares about nothing but winning and form going in.

Due to the nature of the competition and how close it is its not like there is a huge skill difference between 1st and 8th normally. In this comp a side can win on its day. The Mctntyre hugely favours sides that are running into form going into the final series (Parra last year, hopefully Canberra this year) rather than sides that are consistent over the year as even if a side finishes 7th or 8 if they keep winning they will have home games.

a 1-4 4-8 system like the AFL uses is fairer in the sense that it is less rewarding for the sides that just build a massive run in. Canberra for example wouldn't be playing a home game next week under that system and the Tigers wouldn't be facing elimination. In fact one of the Roosters or Raiders would have been knocked out. Which is perhaps a fairer representation of the year as a whole.

Still the Mctntyre system is favouring the Raiders at the moment. So I am all for it :D

typicalfan

Coach
Tigers fans that are taking aim at the system should more take aim at Heighington not picking the ball up at the scrum. He picks up that ball, the Tigers hang on and would be celebrating a week off.

to_ddeath

Coach
Yeah I agree, 3rd place doesn't deserve to be booted out first week no matter what the case

You wouldnt say that if it were "Stain" in 3rd place as you succinctly put it.
This system rewards teams making late surges into 6th-8th place, such as your own team. So you
should be a big fan of the Macintyre system then.

T.

IFR33K

Coach
Yeah I agree, 3rd place doesn't deserve to be booted out first week no matter what the case

No offense but this is a very dumb post. This season has been very very close, with some of the competition favorites falling short of the 8 for various reasons.

Tigers just scraped into 3rd spot. If they had 1 more loss during the regular season, then they would of finished around 7th.

Why shouldn't they be eliminated 1st week of the finals, if they lose???? They have there advantage in playing a home semi, and they still couldn't get the biccies. Why should they get another shot over the team that finished 5th???? because they won 1 more game then them in the regular season???? Its not like the Tigers were the minor premiers.

Eelectrica

Referee
Up 15-2 the Tigers should have won the game and not had to worry.
If Benji could kick goals they'd have won. If if if for the Tigers.

Barring a saints player getting sent off in the opening minute, I really don't see them losing to Manly with their playing roster the state it's currently in. Manly will give it there all, but I'd expect the run out of gas before the game is done.

Latest posts