What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The battle to play raiders half

Macko8

Juniors
The battle to play Raiders half

BY CHRIS DUTTON
02 Feb, 2010 09:08 AM
Two players, one starting spot and one contract up for grabs Josh McCrone and Marc Herbert are locked in an intense battle to extend their respective Canberra Raiders careers.And the only thing Canberra coach David Furner reckons he hasn't seen his two halfbacks do to prove they deserve the No7 jumper is stand toe-to-toe in a boxing ring.
With the Raiders' NRL season-opener a month away, Furner is still undecided on who will partner Terry Campese in the halves.
It's a crucial combination he's desperate to get right as the Raiders set about turning potential into success.
Adding spice to the selection battle is the fact McCrone and Herbert are in the last seasons of their contracts, with the Raiders likely to only keep one. It's a motivating factor Furner is certain will bode well for the rest of the team.
''I've already witnessed that in the pre-season,'' Furner said. ''They're [McCrone and Herbert] running against each other and each year there's always someone that wants to take your spot.
''You've got to try and beat the other one and that's what they've been doing competing.
''Bar putting them in the ring with gloves on, they've definitely been going at each other for that spot.''
After Herbert was struck down by frustrating ankle and hand injuries last season, McCrone grabbed his opportunity to play first grade with both hands.
CANBERRA RAIDERS TRIAL MATCHES
February13: v Western Suburbs Magpies (NSW Cup) at West Belconnen, 6pm;
February20: v Brisbane Broncos at Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane;
February27: v Canterbury Bulldogs at APEX Oval, Dubbo.

Green Evil

Juniors
Give Matt Smith or Mick Picker a go. Herbert and McCrone have both had ample opportunities and not set the world on fire. Wouldnt surprise me to see Herbert go elsewhere to get shot at playing 5/8. He looks to me to be a better 5/8 than he is a halfback.

aussies1st

Staff member
McCrone should get the dig on what I saw last season but I'm willing to start afresh and decide it from the trial form.

McCrone played well in limited showing last year , he provided an alternative to Campo, he should get 1st dig. Herbert although I rate didnt live up to his potential last year, he really needs to step up this year.

Mick Picker must be a chance for a FG run, it will be interesting to see how he handles QLD cup week in week out.

For Campese to play well at five eight he needs a gritty organising half who does the hard work to play inside of him and let him do the attacking at 2nd reciever. McCrone and Herbert both look like five eights to me.

Green Evil

Juniors
What do people think about getting Finchy back to the club? He has signed with Melbourne for one season for crap money and i think we could get him reasonably cheap and might provide the type of half we need. He plays a similar game to Kimmorley. His talk on the field is good and he chases everything. I know he left under bad circumstances but it could be time to look at a return. When he was at the roosters with Fittler outside he did well and i think he and Campese could have a similar partnership. Surely if he wants to stay in Oz there wouldnt be too many clubs that would look at him so his price mightnt be that high but after 2 years under Craig Bellamy i think he could be a great signing for us in 2011.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Give Matt Smith or Mick Picker a go. Herbert and McCrone have both had ample opportunities and not set the world on fire. Wouldnt surprise me to see Herbert go elsewhere to get shot at playing 5/8. He looks to me to be a better 5/8 than he is a halfback.

Matty Smith doesn't play for us anymore, he has gone to Norths in the Qld Cup, he would of been a good option though.

Josh McCrone should get 1st crack at halfback, if he fails, Mick Picker next in line.

The thing that could benefit us is that they are both off contract and Don has said they are playing for a contract with more than likely only one will get one.

aussies1st

Staff member
Hard to blame Smith for leaving, he was stuck behind Herbert, Dennis and some other guys we used at 5/8 and with Mick going to SL (I believe) hes moving further down the order. Shame to lose him but his size was probably the deciding factor.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I'm really interested to see how Williams from NYC goes. He looks like a true halfback, and was great in his debut season. I expect him to be among the better NYC halves this year.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
I like them both and unlike most here I'd prob like to see Herbert get first shot. We know he's only going to improve, he always gave 100% and is hella fast!

It's going to come down to who wants it more. The Trials will determine who will be there in the 1st round. On last years form it would be McCrone but Id imagine that wont count for much this year.
Herbert is fast ,but McCrone would be just about as fast.
Herbert stood Zilly up beautifully last year.

Latest posts