What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bears

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Firstly forget Adelaide, there is minimal interest there.

No, I think you are looking at it wrongly, the pie grows and the Bears bring the goodwill that helps it do that. Remember when the game had a feel good factor? This attracted support and everything that goes with it. This is what we have lost over the last 20 years.

Grow the game I say, if you pinch any supporters or sponsors we get them from AFL or union.

Reggie70

Juniors
As much as I would like to see the Bears on the Central Coast where they belong, it’ll never happen.
The only way the Bears will be back is if they have an agreement with another state (e.g. WA/SA/NT)
If relocation of a Sydney team was to happen, i don’t think it would be to QLD. QLD fans wouldn’t embrace a NSW team. Whereas non rugby league states wouldn’t have that rivalry NSW has with QLD

mongoose

Coach
God I can't believe the NRL and media is still talking about bringing back the Bears... the NRL needs to move forward and appeal to new demographics, new areas, not over 50s who would get some nostalgia from seeing the Bears back. I don't get this mentality of "we have to bring back all those fans who were rusted on from 25 years ago, stuff trying bring in news fan to the sport"

People keep talking about the threat of AFL, we are doing their work for them.

Reflector

Juniors
Haven't read past page 1 but my 2c is this:

Bears should absolutely come back, playing out of Central Coast Stadium as was originally intended, with 1 or 2 boutique games a year played at NSO (probably against a low-drawing interstate team like the GC or Redcliffe).

This club would be a huge success in terms of support, junior growth and corporate support and anybody claiming we should admit some other half-baked bid because there are too many NSW teams is wrong.

And while I'm here, the Wests Tigers should also split with the Balmain faction heading north, joining the Easts NRL bid and becoming the Brisbane Tigers, while Wests go back to Campbelltown full-time as the rebranded Western Sydney Magpies focusing solely on the huge S-W Sydney growth area.

Colk

First Grade
Firstly forget Adelaide, there is minimal interest there.

No, I think you are looking at it wrongly, the pie grows and the Bears bring the goodwill that helps it do that. Remember when the game had a feel good factor? This attracted support and everything that goes with it. This is what we have lost over the last 20 years.

Grow the game I say, if you pinch any supporters or sponsors we get them from AFL or union.

It is almost like people can’t read or choose to read what they want.

Firstly how are you growing the pie? If you understand the analogy at all, the only way you can grow a pie is to make the pie bigger. You only way you can do it is attract new fans and go to new areas. Even if get all of these so called supporters (and this is not even assuming that some are still interested in the game and simply support other clubs) where are you getting the other supporters. That’s right you’re taking a slice of supporters from another club. The Sydney pie/market is still the same

Feelgood factor? What does that mean? You do realise that there are more supporters now then there were 20 years because of teams like the Storm and the Warriors who people probably would have said shouldn’t be in the competition because they won’t get support. Ironic huh? The only way you can actually grow the game is actually putting a team where there currently isn’t one. You know growing the pie? Some person in North Sydney who is under 18 (the type of supporter that you want to get so they become a lifelong supporter) has no experience of the Bears and probably goes for one of the other nine sides in Sydney

Adelaide has no interest. Of course they don’t have an interest atm as they don’t have a side and unlike North Sydney they don’t have a plethora of other RL teams they can simply follow down the road.
Going back 40 years ago, I am sure that Sydney and Brisbane didn’t have any AFL support either for precisely the same reason: they didn’t have a team to follow. And AFL supporters at that time would have argued the same thing: they can’t possibly like their game because we don’t have any media because we don’t have a side as our game is too superior/ or they won’t get it. etc etc Look at the support they have now. And if you are so worried about retrieving lost support how about looking at attendance figures for the Bears (in the comp for 90 years) those of the Rams (in the comp for 2 years) and I bet there isn’t a world of difference

Lastly, as I said before if there is a multitude of old Bears fans now watching AFL and Union, it would be very unlikely that they’ll just stop watching those games because they have obviously supported them for twenty years and they have supported them because they have grown to like those games. There are a lot of people like this following multiple sports so bringing the Bears back isn’t going to make one iota of difference to those sports, in fact AFL are probably wishing RL to do this.

Colk

First Grade
Haven't read past page 1 but my 2c is this:

Bears should absolutely come back, playing out of Central Coast Stadium as was originally intended, with 1 or 2 boutique games a year played at NSO (probably against a low-drawing interstate team like the GC or Redcliffe).

This club would be a huge success in terms of support, junior growth and corporate support and anybody claiming we should admit some other half-baked bid because there are too many NSW teams is wrong.

And while I'm here, the Wests Tigers should also split with the Balmain faction heading north, joining the Easts NRL bid and becoming the Brisbane Tigers, while Wests go back to Campbelltown full-time as the rebranded Western Sydney Magpies focusing solely on the huge S-W Sydney growth area.

I think you are really overestimating a lot of things. CC Mariners have been on death’s door for a majority of their existence because they don’t have enough corporate support. They also don’t get enough supporters to the game Secondly, if people from the Central Coast want to follow a side they have 10 options within what 150kms. They have, like Sydney fairly extensive coverage of League and they can hop on a train/or in their car and go up to Newcastle or down to Sydney and watch a game every weekend if they want to. Most RL supporters in this country don’t have this luxury.

Lastly, are you really arguing that there aren’t enough NSW teams? Most of these clubs figures, club finances, membership numbers would suggest otherwise. In fact what is the average crowd attendance for Sydney clubs? 10-12k?

Colk

First Grade
God I can't believe the NRL and media is still talking about bringing back the Bears... the NRL needs to move forward and appeal to new demographics, new areas, not over 50s who would get some nostalgia from seeing the Bears back. I don't get this mentality of "we have to bring back all those fans who were rusted on from 25 years ago, stuff trying bring in news fan to the sport"

Exactly. It is just incredible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
T

This is rugby league! Stuck in the past is what we do well. Heck we appointed a chairman who is literally stuck in the 1970’s nswrl Sydney tribalism, suburban grounds bubble lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It is almost like people can’t read or choose to read what they want.

Firstly how are you growing the pie? If you understand the analogy at all, the only way you can grow a pie is to make the pie bigger. You only way you can do it is attract new fans and go to new areas. Even if get all of these so called supporters (and this is not even assuming that some are still interested in the game and simply support other clubs) where are you getting the other supporters. That’s right you’re taking a slice of supporters from another club. The Sydney pie/market is still the same

Feelgood factor? What does that mean? You do realise that there are more supporters now then there were 20 years because of teams like the Storm and the Warriors who people probably would have said shouldn’t be in the competition because they won’t get support. Ironic huh? The only way you can actually grow the game is actually putting a team where there currently isn’t one. You know growing the pie? Some person in North Sydney who is under 18 (the type of supporter that you want to get so they become a lifelong supporter) has no experience of the Bears and probably goes for one of the other nine sides in Sydney

Adelaide has no interest. Of course they don’t have an interest atm as they don’t have a side and unlike North Sydney they don’t have a plethora of other RL teams they can simply follow down the road.
Going back 40 years ago, I am sure that Sydney and Brisbane didn’t have any AFL support either for precisely the same reason: they didn’t have a team to follow. And AFL supporters at that time would have argued the same thing: they can’t possibly like their game because we don’t have any media because we don’t have a side as our game is too superior/ or they won’t get it. etc etc Look at the support they have now. And if you are so worried about retrieving lost support how about looking at attendance figures for the Bears (in the comp for 90 years) those of the Rams (in the comp for 2 years) and I bet there isn’t a world of difference

Lastly, as I said before if there is a multitude of old Bears fans now watching AFL and Union, it would be very unlikely that they’ll just stop watching those games because they have obviously supported them for twenty years and they have supported them because they have grown to like those games. There are a lot of people like this following multiple sports so bringing the Bears back isn’t going to make one iota of difference to those sports, in fact AFL are probably wishing RL to do this.
I live in Melbourne, I use to follow Cronulla now I follow the Storm. Was that a win for RL or a loss to the Sharks?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I live in Melbourne, I use to follow Cronulla now I follow the Storm. Was that a win for RL or a loss to the Sharks?
It was a win for you lol

i guess if you’d moved to Melbourne and there was no nrl team so you stopped following the sharks or at least became a very loose “fan” then it’s a win for rugby league that having a club for Melbourne has kept you avidly following the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In A Similar vain I’m from Hull, have quite a few mates here in perth also from Hull And yorkshire, We’ve all been life long rl fans prior to moving here but I’m the only one who still follows the sport avidly. The rest have become glory, wildcats or Dockers fans As they wanted to go wand watch live sport and have a side to follow. In talking with them they’d all sign up to be full members of an nrl side of we got one. That’s the market we can capture here as well as new fans as the club grows its brand awareness.

Colk

First Grade

That’s interesting. I would like to know why you switched? You can see the irony of your own position - you follow a team who are in probably in an area that is hardest crack for a RL team and for which if you follow your own reasoning should have never have been given a place because it is an AFL area and RL teams should only be in RL areas. In your experience as a Storm fan are your supporters generally from NSW/QLD or are they from Melbourne? Are they a combination.

Anyway back to your question: it is most definitely a win. What is most beneficial to the NRL - having somebody attend games etc and have an investment back into the game - i.e. an active supporter. If you were a Sharks supporter based in Melbourne there are limited ways for your money to go back into the game - you might attend a game once a year or watch your team on TV

Chippy73

Bench
That’s because I’m first and foremost a rugby league fan. All my life, club or no club. Not like others who jump ship to another code because they can’t watch their club in the top tier. I supported my club through two relegations, still went home and away in the third division. Not fair weather like so many.

ps instead of getting personal, again, how about answering my comment. Why does Sydney need 9 clubs, some are now saying ten!, to keep jnrs playing rl when brisbane has managed it with 1?
You are the exception in following the game first and a club second, I personally respect that, but the truth is for most people it is the other way round, my best mate....a one time mad keen Bears supporter went to the Swans when Norths got punted, he gives no shits about RL now, his kids also follow AFL.

When Manly where merged into Northern Eagles, I paid no attention to the game, apart from Origin, for the period of that abortion. People are tribal, it's just the way it is. You punt a Sydney club you lose 90% of those fans to the game, worse then that...they are bitter...some of them will actively work against the game (by having their kids play soccer, AFL etc.).

T-Boon

Coach
In A Similar vain I’m from Hull, have quite a few mates here in perth also from Hull And yorkshire, We’ve all been life long rl fans prior to moving here but I’m the only one who still follows the sport avidly. The rest have become glory, wildcats or Dockers fans As they wanted to go wand watch live sport and have a side to follow. In talking with them they’d all sign up to be full members of an nrl side of we got one. That’s the market we can capture here as well as new fans as the club grows its brand awareness.
So there will be at least 3 fans.

Colk

First Grade
You are the exception in following the game first and a club second, I personally respect that, but the truth is for most people it is the other way round, my best mate....a one time mad keen Bears supporter went to the Swans when Norths got punted, he gives no shits about RL now, his kids also follow AFL.

When Manly where merged into Northern Eagles, I paid no attention to the game, apart from Origin, for the period of that abortion. People are tribal, it's just the way it is. You punt a Sydney club you lose 90% of those fans to the game, worse then that...they are bitter...some of them will actively work against the game (by having their kids play soccer, AFL etc.).
Fair enough. That might have happened with Fitzroy or South Melbourne as well but does that mean that the AFL should bring Fitzroy or South Melbourne back from the dead. Your best mate should also reflect on the irony of supporting a side who probably pissed off supporters the same way as the NRL did to the Bears.
Anyway people always become disenchanted or disenfranchised when tough decisions are made but at least the AFL gained more supporters and they’ve definitely gained more money from those decisions than if they kept the status quo

T-Boon

Coach

RL has a few aces up its sleeve.
One problem is that in that 20 year stretch the game also went from being pretty exciting (teams chancing their arm, punch on's etc) to almost lifelessly boring (including at state of origin level). Administrators are only know saying the "wrestle" word out loud and trying to confront that disaster.
So if it gets back to being an exciting game for the average sports fan (not just rusted on fans who love any old crap coaches roll out) the AFL could be in trouble.

Colk

First Grade
RL has a few aces up its sleeve.
One problem is that in that 20 year stretch the game also went from being pretty exciting (teams chancing their arm, punch on's etc) to almost lifelessly boring (including at state of origin level). Administrators are only know saying the "wrestle" word out loud and trying to confront that disaster.
So if it gets back to being an exciting game for the average sports fan (not just rusted on fans who love any old crap coaches roll out) the AFL could be in trouble.

That’s one area perhaps but there needs to be clubs in new areas

Latest posts