What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beau Henry thread 2011

perverse

Referee
we may well be one of the dumbest football teams in the comp... and have been for quite some time. we have stupid players. Gidley is a stupid, impulsive player... couldn't legitimately control a match if his life depended on it - and he is the one we look to to make the big decisions. it's f**ked.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Is it possible Beau is starting to believe some of the press that is suggesting Wayne wants him gone for next year?

Big Tim

First Grade
Tackling.

Not running under the posts thinking a grubber was on leaving a huge hole in the line resulting in a try.

5th tackle options.

Chasing the 45m field goal rather than kicking to a corner like his Coach told him too.

He is a kid comming back from a bad injury, he will get better.

There are more positives than negatives in his game in my opinion.

I think he will improve each week.

Lucky for us, 3 of these things can be put down to NRL immaturity... the other can be worked on.

From where I was at the ground it was hard to see alot about any of the tries.... replays werent an option either, so I missed the hole you are referring to above.

perverse

Referee
5 games in a team without a steering wheel. granted, he is supposed to be part of that steering wheel... but he's had 5 games! he's barely familiar with the pace of first grade yet, i would say... let alone knowing how to beat first grade quality fullbacks with his kicking, what is required of a first grade defender... etc... 5 games is dead set nothing. watch a game of under 20's and you'll get an idea of just how much of a different game it is. they technically play the same sport - but it is still worlds apart. they pretty much just do not defend. running down a 20 point lead is practically standard fare. they are playing against lots and lots of blokes who will never be even close to first grade standard. it is going to take a lot more time than clearly many of you are comfortable with to reap tangible results in our current team climate. if we were the Dragons, Melbourne, Brisbane... or had an Andrew Johns for Henry to play next to then you could probably expect some more immediate results... but asking so much of him so early in an environment that isn't even close to ideal is lunacy.

he has the talent and the size he needs to be successful. give him the time, too. honestly, it's not like we're competing for a trophy this year. you can kid yourselves that we are, but we arn't. we're not jeopardizing our season by treating these rookies the right way. our top priority needs to be nurturing the kids this year. i'm not overly enthused about scraping into the 8 and bowing out first week... i would prefer we have an extra viable first grader or 2 by next year.

Last edited:

Pika

Bench
Lucky for us, 3 of these things can be put down to NRL immaturity... the other can be worked on.

From where I was at the ground it was hard to see alot about any of the tries.... replays werent an option either, so I missed the hole you are referring to above.

For sure Tim.

Those come down to experience.

Ifs and buts do not win games.... If Mullo was out there with a calm head, regardless of whether he nails the field goal, we win that game just with his composure.

Beau is not getting much help out there at the moment.

Tom155

Coach
Set up a wonderful try. Everytime he called for the ball in an attacking position we went the other way.

Dont know what more we could have wanted from him??
yeah that was a big thing i noticed last night, very frustrating especially when kurt keeps making boneheaded impluse plays that go nowhere or turn the ball over

billy2

Juniors
Another NYC halfback of the year apparently quit Parra 2 weeks ago and played 3rd grade for the Rosellas this week.
Don't know why he did that, and don't know why the herald has written two articles on him - both ending by saying he is trying to keep a low profile I think.

perverse

Referee
who is that, billy? i heard Tom Humble had been having troubles down there... but im not sure if he was a half or 5/8th?

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Chasing the 45m field goal rather than kicking to a corner like his Coach told him too.

Wish I had of known that earlier.

When the first field goal was attempted, with 15mins on the clock I said to Big Tim that we had just given them a sniff, that we thought 7 would win it. It's a rookie mistake and I thought we learnt our lesson in 2007 about that. A field goal should be at minimum left till about 7mins to go.

The rest of the things he will improve on but god the kid should always listen to the coach.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
who is that, billy? i heard Tom Humble had been having troubles down there... but im not sure if he was a half or 5/8th?
Now Tom Humble would be a nice pickup.
He can play anywhere in the backline from 1 to 7 and i've seen him destroy our reggies 2 or 3 times. Great young player.

I was talking about Murray.
Wouldn't be surprized if he has Bennett's number on speed dial and is looking for a house somewhere near West's home ground.

perverse

Referee
I think he is talking about Brad Murray...
yep, cheers, especially for the ... at the end.
he means brad murray i think, the guy involved the betting scandal.
cheers mate.
Now Tom Humble would be a nice pickup.
He can play anywhere in the backline from 1 to 7 and i've seen him destroy our reggies 2 or 3 times. Great young player.

I was talking about Murray.
Wouldn't be surprized if he has Bennett's number on speed dial and is looking for a house somewhere near West's home ground.
yeah, Humble is quite good. im pretty sure he got caught using a banned substance (jack3d?) but is free to play as of a couple of weeks ago... which is why i thought he was worth speculation.

i've heard good things about Brad Murray, haven't had the pleasure of seeing him play yet. would love to have a crack at him, the more promising halves the better.

Yosh

Coach
In general our team isn't very composed huh... I think overall our players don't have a good footy brain. Who would you guys say is the most composed and mature in terms of their footy?

Costigan?

perverse

Referee
i would say McManus, without giving it overly much thought. Costigan is a good choice, but haven't seen enough of him in our team.

Rolla

Juniors
Wouldn't disagree with Jimmy, althoguh it is easier to be composed on the wing with a simple game like Jimmies. He doesnt make many tackles, doesn't try to pass/kick/anything but make runs, catch balls and finish tries. He does however make good decisions, and rarely gives away penalties. Easier to seem composed with a no frills type game.

Guess my point is its easy to be composed in his position, compared to a half or forward, even a centre.

billy2

Juniors
In general our team isn't very composed huh... I think overall our players don't have a good footy brain. Who would you guys say is the most composed and mature in terms of their footy?

Costigan?
McManus, House till he gets angry, Hilder, DeGois - but for the amount of footy he has played Edwards is the standout. He cleans up a lot of shit and has only had about a dozen games.

RABK

Referee
Must be said our line rushed Benji a number of times, sometimes we smashed him and other times his speed got him outside our line.

The tigers employed the same tactic against henry and obviously without the necessary speed he got smothered or rushed his option every time.

Henry is a rookie half and such tactics if used with controlled and consistent aggression/discipline can make a world class half look slow and take wrong options.

Henry will learn physically and mentally that if he is going to recieve long balls in depth, which marshall does, you need to commit yourself to the oncoming hit and have support runners, primarily inside, run off your hip. He will learn to read defense and take good options resulting in teams 2nd guessing rushing up on him.

It's up to the likes of wes, lulia, costigan etc to support Henry by running the lines for him to give him options under pressure.

Nothing concerns me about him. He has class and skill.

Pika

Bench
I was going to say Edwards as well.

My wife, who has a knack for picking good potential said he would captain Knights and play SOO last night.

Big call. I rate Eddy, but think she is mad haha.