What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beau Henry thread 2011

Big Tim

First Grade
In general our team isn't very composed huh... I think overall our players don't have a good footy brain. Who would you guys say is the most composed and mature in terms of their footy?

Costigan?

In terms of a footy brain Wes has done alot of things that have impressed me in this sense.

Most I cant think of now, but 2 examples from last night were

a) 2nd half kickoff. There was some sort of delay, so he casually asks the trainer for the water bottle, puts water all over the ball and then places it on the tee

b) When the Tigers were forcing repeat sets, he knocked a ball out dead, had a collision with other players and stayed down without moving. Ref was forced to stop play and wait for him to be checked by the trainer before the trainer said he was OK. With that, he jumped up and got back to it.

IMO he has a great footy brain.

perverse

Referee
Must be said our line rushed Benji a number of times, sometimes we smashed him and other times his speed got him outside our line.

The tigers employed the same tactic against henry and obviously without the necessary speed he got smothered or rushed his option every time.

Henry is a rookie half and such tactics if used with controlled and consistent aggression/discipline can make a world class half look slow and take wrong options.

Henry will learn physically and mentally that if he is going to recieve long balls in depth, which marshall does, you need to commit yourself to the oncoming hit and have support runners, primarily inside, run off your hip. He will learn to read defense and take good options resulting in teams 2nd guessing rushing up on him.

It's up to the likes of wes, lulia, costigan etc to support Henry by running the lines for him to give him options under pressure.

Nothing concerns me about him. He has class and skill.
absolutely, couldn't agree more. people don't get that when a young kid, especially a half... comes into first grade, playing men for the first time, that all this shit is foreign to them. they haven't experienced these conditions before... and unless they have a gun team around them to destroy the opposition and make it easy, they are going to find it bloody hard.

he has class, he has skill, and he's not small for a half... which is a big bonus, too. at this stupidly early stage these is nothing to worry about aside from the fact that our team looks like a shot duck for the year.

personally i think the teams that are aligned with QLD cup have it right - send the rookies there for a year. it's working wonders for just about every team doing it... it's a better quality comp than NSW cup, and the kids get a chance to play against big guys for a year. makes the transition to first grade much easier. for all the Toyota Cups virtues, the destruction of reserve grade as hurt a lot of NSW teams imo. not having a clear road to first grade for kids that just arn't quite there yet when they turn 21 is a pain in the arse.

Rod

Bench
I've got no problem with how Henry is developing at this stage for the reasons you guys mention about young halves taking time to get used to playing men and the increased speed of the game etc.

But when I think about Henry it does remind me of how Cherry-Evans has responded to first grade. I mean surely he has come on better than even most people at Manly would have hoped. For someone who is not big, he has shown no signs of being phsically dominated or being daunted by first grade. He makes about 20 tackles a game on top of everything he does in attack. I know he already has about 6 games more than Henry but considering they debuted at the same time they're worth comparing, maybe more at the end of the season.

So how much of DCE's early success do we put down to the blokes around him? He has a good young foil in Foran as well as one of the more powerful packs in the comp. Last night is arguably the first time this season we've beaten our opposition's forward pack (I can't remember how our forwards went against the Panthers...), and even so Henry still had a guy who, though experienced, isn't a genuine half or organiser in the 7. I guess it would be nice for Henry to have a forward pack who gets on top every week as well as a dominant Mullen supporting him but looks like he'll just have to learn first grade the hard way.

Incidentally, I'm not sure of DCE's backstory, I have a feeling he had a year in QLD Cup? That would probably explain a bit further why he has found the transition smoother than Henry.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I've got no problem with how Henry is developing at this stage for the reasons you guys mention about young halves taking time to get used to playing men and the increased speed of the game etc.

But when I think about Henry it does remind me of how Cherry-Evans has responded to first grade. I mean surely he has come on better than even most people at Manly would have hoped. For someone who is not big, he has shown no signs of being phsically dominated or being daunted by first grade. He makes about 20 tackles a game on top of everything he does in attack. I know he already has about 6 games more than Henry but considering they debuted at the same time they're worth comparing, maybe more at the end of the season.

So how much of DCE's early success do we put down to the blokes around him? He has a good young foil in Foran as well as one of the more powerful packs in the comp. Last night is arguably the first time this season we've beaten our opposition's forward pack (I can't remember how our forwards went against the Panthers...), and even so Henry still had a guy who, though experienced, isn't a genuine half or organiser in the 7. I guess it would be nice for Henry to have a forward pack who gets on top every week as well as a dominant Mullen supporting him but looks like he'll just have to learn first grade the hard way.

Incidentally, I'm not sure of DCE's backstory, I have a feeling he had a year in QLD Cup? That would probably explain a bit further why he has found the transition smoother than Henry.
... and Manly are going a hell of a lot better than the Knights.

Serc

First Grade
perverse, RABK...I thought I was going batty when I seemed to be the only person that noticed Henry getting rushed by an organised, and aggressive group of 2 or 3 players on a number of occasions last night! Especially given that every 3rd post in there was saying he is shit and already written him off as not up to first grade!

We dominated them, completely and utterly! It was one of the reasons why I was so excited after our round 1 victory!

Yep he had 1 year in Q Cup, and certainly explains some of the smooth transition.

By the way great post, I think it is a combination of the factors you mentioned - Foran being a good up and coming young half, but the pair of them are very ably supported by their forward pack who not only gives them room to move, but dominates physically also (I think I remember a few comments after we played them on how aggressive they are, even to the point of doing some somewhat rough and penalty worthy stuff at times - but thats how they do it and its successful)

RABK

Referee
He got belted a few times. I'd be more worried if he had showed signs of not been up to it physically opposed to signs he lacked composure under pressure.

So many great young halves as skillful as joey have never made first grade due to not been physically up to it. Beau took some big hits and got up each time. Marshall stayed down 3 or 4 times.

My family knows his family so i've heard hundreds of opinions on him and seen quite a bit of him over the last couple of years so i know he has the class and skill in him to direct and control a game. I'm not concerned at all with his progress. The composure will come with time as will mature options.

RABK

Referee
He got belted a few times. I'd be more worried if he had showed signs of not been up to it physically opposed to signs he lacked composure under pressure.

So many great young halves as skillful as joey have never made first grade due to not been physically up to it. Beau took some big hits and got up each time. Marshall stayed down 3 or 4 times.

My family knows his family so i've heard hundreds of opinions on him and seen quite a bit of him over the last couple of years so i know he has the class and skill in him to direct and control a game. I'm not concerned at all with his progress. The composure will come with time as will mature options.

And i'm not comparing Beau to Benji, just trying to get across the point that some brilliant halves have faded into obscurity after setting the world on fire in juniors because they couldn't handle the physicality of FG. Beau set the world on fire as a junior and thus far has shown he can handle the NRL physicality but hasn't been able to establish confidence whilst adjusting yet.

It's now a matter of finding his confidence in employing his skills amongst the NRL physicality.

RABK

Referee
Props to Walsh though, he always struggled with the physicality but he is so skillful he looks great down at Penrith at times.

Serc

First Grade
Well it was a great idea for me to fire up this thread, wasn't it? :lol: