What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best club team you have seen

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do people really think the 2001 Eels with a spine of Hodgson, Beutner, Taylor and Drew are one of the best? :sarcasm:

The Knights who were a great side in their own right put 24-0 on them in the first half. I reckon the 98 Broncos or 94 Raiders would have been up 44 nil at half time.

And then we did the exact same thing to them in the second half (as in, we piled on the points).

Newcastle were brilliant in that first half and deserved their Premiership. But if you're seriously suggesting a team that held the record for points scored in a single season wasn't worthy of discussions like these, then I think you're wrong.

Last edited:

Galeforce

Bench
Souths 1970 GF side vs Manly-WarringahEric Simms Michael Cleary Paul Sait Arthur Branighan Ray Branighan Denis Pittard Bob Grant John Sattler (c) Elwyn WaltersJohn O'Neill Bob McCarthy Gary Stevens Ron Coote ReserveBob Honan CoachClive Churchill
Souths 1970 side. every player except for Arthur Branighan, played for Australia. Including the named reserve Bob Honan and players who did not make the side, Jim Morgan, George Piggins and Bob Moses also were rep players.Souths were raided by Manly , Roosters and Bulldogs during the early 1970's.
Ray B , Bob Moses and John O'Neill went to Manly
coote , Walters , Cleary and Jim Morgan moved to Roosters
Bob McCarthy and Gary Stevens went to the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Souths 1970 GF side vs Manly-WarringahEric Simms Michael Cleary Paul Sait Arthur Branighan Ray Branighan Denis Pittard Bob Grant John Sattler (c) Elwyn WaltersJohn O'Neill Bob McCarthy Gary Stevens Ron Coote ReserveBob Honan CoachClive Churchill
Souths 1970 side. every player except for Arthur Branighan, played for Australia. Including the named reserve Bob Honan and players who did not make the side, Jim Morgan, George Piggins and Bob Moses also were rep players.Souths were raided by Manly , Roosters and Bulldogs during the early 1970's.
Ray B , Bob Moses and John O'Neill went to Manly
coote , Walters , Cleary and Jim Morgan moved to Roosters
Bob McCarthy and Gary Stevens went to the Bulldogs.

I'll forgive you because you've probably been on the turps since 9am but geez that post is a mess. Try learning how to format text before posting anything longer than a few words.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
St George Dragons 1956 - 1966
You must be pretty damn old to have seen those guys run around.

They are clearly the best club team of all time, but to have watched them play (and remembered it), you'd have to be 70+ years old now ... if so, congratulations on actually being on an Internet forum!

Eels 2001
Broncos 1998
Storm 2006-2013
Roosters 2002-2004
Manly 1995-1997

Obvious bias but I believe the Raiders of 87-95 are the best ever, though I'm not old enough to properly remember them.

beave

Coach
Broncos 92-93 (they were head and shoulders above everyone those years)
Raiders-94 (star studded)
Broncos 2007 (would have wiped the floor with any team from either comp)
Eels 2001(they were a complete pleasure to watch, they just clicked somehow all year....but got ambushed when it mattered)
Storm over the last 6 years- cheating aside, their dominance and skill can't be questioned. They have a military like precision.

mongoose

Coach
It would be dominant if they converted all those points into wins. They finished the regular season 3rd, hardly the most dominant team.

We towelled up the minor premiers (dogs) twice that year, including the Grand final.

The 2001 Eels scored a ridiculous amount of points that year but so did about 4 other teams. The 94 Raiders scored almost 30 more tries than the next best team which is insanity.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raiders 1994 team was the best ive seen.

The best of the rest in order: Broncos 1992, Broncos 1998, Melbourne 2012, Manly 1996

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think any team that didn't win the Minor Premiership should be in this discussion.
Why? The best teams are the best when it matters. The regular season was a dress rehearsal for teams like the Broncos and the Raiders in the 90s, it was about how they performed from that point on that matters.

stormbati

Bench
I've only really watched League since 2000 and from my memory I'd say, in no order;

Eels 2001
Roosters 2002-2004
Broncos 2000
Manly 08-2011
Storm 07-13

moik

Bench
1983ParramattaEels.jpg
^ this.

Simply the best club side in history.

The fact that Cameron Smith is the best player ever, and he plays in the most important position on the park, that helps greatly, the Storm side of 2012.

Lambretta

First Grade
The 2001 Parramatta Eels team averaged 32 ppg during the 4 point try era.

The 1935 Eastern Suburbs Roosters averaged 37 ppg despite 3 point tries.

Fact.

You don't got dis.

The thread is titled "best club team you have SEEN"

If you saw the 1930's Roosters you'd be 90 by now and would have forgotten what happened in 1935 and wouldn't know what this interweb thingy is anyway.

Plus the St George team that won 11 Premierships straight would surely win the award.

GongPanther

Referee
The Roosters in 1974 and 1975.

In my years of watching league,IMO nothing has come close to the sheer class from watching that side.

Misanthrope

Staff member
On a consistent performance basis, I find it hard to go past the 2001 Eels. Damned if they weren't intimidating until the bitter (and somewhat embarrassing) end.