What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big three are three years too old

eozsmiles

Bench
They should have kept Widdop and Inglis. With them in their prime Cam Smith's twilight would have been better because his load would be lightened. And the aging Slater and Cronk would be taking up a million dollars of capspace for 2 of their rivals.

Those two decisions tell me Bellamy wanted 1 more premiership after the scandal more than he wanted long term success beyond his own time at the club.

Without sounding like a smartarse, generally that is the job of coaches. People like to talk about building for the future and all that, but coaches are meant to win now if they have the cattle. Some clubs have been waiting 40 odd years for a comp, so putting all your eggs in one basket when you have the chance is the way to go. The premiership is the holy grail, you don't f**k around when you have a chance at one by speculating over the future.

Teams that are rebuilding are basically admitting that they can't win the comp and they make hard decisions then play the patience game. Penrith are doing it with aplomb. Melbourne haven't been in that position yet, although it might have just caught up with them. Ditto Manly, who have made two tough decisions and have a couple to go.

What Bellamy's decision to keep the Big Three did was ensure that the Storm kept rolling through that post scandal period. Oh, and they won the comp.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Going to be a huge amount of cap to spend if the Big 3 all retire at the same time, interesting to see how it plays out with other clubs looking to lock up their big names before this happens. The days of the Storm buying unwanteds from other clubs may be over they are hated enough for holding onto talent now, wait till they start buying top players from other clubs.

As it is now without the big 3 Storm don't have much to build on, losing 2 of their better players in Waqa and Hoffman and having no one to play 5/8 (I don't see much potential from Hampton, I see Harris as the best option right now only because it improves the defence). Bromwich is a star, Kurt Mann could be something special if he bulks up a bit over the off season and McLean has some potential to improve but other than that there is not much to look forward to.

isaiah

Bench
Smith was injured but is certainly past his peak. Cronk was outstanding just last year. I do think Slater is now a bit too old. I think they'll get one more solid year out of the three, then they should try and arrange Slater to retire in 2015, Smith 2016 and Cronk 2017.
they are still all the best in their positions and will start for australia in the four nations in their preferred positions. next year all 3 will start for qld and we will win the trophy back. melbourne may finish 5-8th again next year and lose in the first week again, but that is hardly having a dismal season. they still compete well all year as a team.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Yes they are getting on the old side, and things change. But the team overall has weak defense particularly this year on the edges, and too much of the play has revolved around the three players. Plus with the others not really stepping up, only sporadically this kind of year was always going to happen. They are still very good players but without a solid game plan and new ideas it ain't looking great.

Hutty1986

Immortal
they are still all the best in their positions and will start for australia in the four nations in their preferred positions. next year all 3 will start for qld and we will win the trophy back. melbourne may finish 5-8th again next year and lose in the first week again, but that is hardly having a dismal season. they still compete well all year as a team.

:lol::lol: But but, weren't qld certainties this year?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I'm shocked. I'd expect more respect to be shown to the Australian captain and his team.

y4TwPOl.gif

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Cronk - a very good halfback but not a great one. For mine he's become too structured and doesn't look like a natural footballer. Compare him to Thurston and he's not in the same class.

The storm will still make finals in the next couple of years - the 3 are still decent players and Jesse Bromwich is an outstanding front rower but I think the days of storm challenging for premierships are gone.

Good times.

Can't agree with the stuff on Cronk...he is a great one. His performance v Brisbane at Suncorp was one of the most masterful I've seen live. I, as do many, believe if he plays the entirety of Origin I or II, QLD win.

But I do agree on the rest. Very good times. And J Brom is a beast.

bottle

Coach
Why is Bellamy retiring anyway? He's still young enough.

No longer allowed an unfair advantage. Doesn't have the stones to enter the fray sans the big 3, knows he can't do it without them. This year is a sign of things to come.

Frankus

Juniors
Slater has lost several yards of pace progressively over the last few seasons. His speed was what used to blitz other teams. He has really started to incorporate more passing into his game over the past few seasons to balance out his game. The incumbent, but has not been the best Australian fullback for a few seasons now.

Cam Smith is still a very intelligent footballer but I'm not sure he can continue playing 80 mins week in week out, again isn't the same dynamic hooker we saw 2-3 years ago and I'm not just referring to the last loss. In my opinion, does not rank in the top 3 hookers in the NRL anymore.

Cronk on the other hand is still playing amazing football. I honestly believe if he completes Origin I this year, Qld win the game and (although anything can happen) arguably the series. Still at the elite level.

Slug

Juniors
The Storm much like the Broncos when they lost Lockyer, will go the same way as the Broncos, be allowed to rot and fester ,like a dried fart in a change-room.
Sydney has got what it wants, a all Sydney comp once the cows bow out. We already know their fate.
The code has lost another 4.
NZ, QLD, and Melbourne wont be watching, expect a dismal drop in viewers, again.

They are brawling on the streets in Ipswich because of the bad ref decisions. It has now drifted down to the lower grades.
Well done NRL.
3 million and four drop in viewers and counting.

No one cares about QLD mate. Be grateful we let you play in our comp. It's nice of us.

Slug

Juniors
They should have kept Widdop and Inglis. With them in their prime Cam Smith's twilight would have been better because his load would be lightened. And the aging Slater and Cronk would be taking up a million dollars of capspace for 2 of their rivals.

Those two decisions tell me Bellamy wanted 1 more premiership after the scandal more than he wanted long term success beyond his own time at the club.

Did you steal this?

Dufmack

Juniors
Slater has lost several yards of pace progressively over the last few seasons. His speed was what used to blitz other teams. He has really started to incorporate more passing into his game over the past few seasons to balance out his game. The incumbent, but has not been the best Australian fullback for a few seasons now.

Cam Smith is still a very intelligent footballer but I'm not sure he can continue playing 80 mins week in week out, again isn't the same dynamic hooker we saw 2-3 years ago and I'm not just referring to the last loss. In my opinion, does not rank in the top 3 hookers in the NRL anymore.

Cronk on the other hand is still playing amazing football. I honestly believe if he completes Origin I this year, Qld win the game and (although anything can happen) arguably the series. Still at the elite level.

I agree with you with Slater, last time he was the best fullback was his awesome form at the beginning of 2012.

The criticism of Cam Smith I believe is undeserved. Yes he was bad against the dogs but he definitely should not have been playing with what was clearly a 2 week injury. He is still the best hooker in the game as of this season and not vastly different to the player he was 2-3 years ago.

Nugget10

Juniors
I can't believe what I'm reading especially the Anti Smith drivel.

First off I will say that I'm not a fan of Cam Smith as a player. But credit where credit is due. He's proven on every stage that he's a champion. Darren Lockyer taught us to never write off a champion cause more often than not they make you look like an idiot

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The Storm much like the Broncos when they lost Lockyer, will go the same way as the Broncos, be allowed to rot and fester ,like a dried fart in a change-room.
Sydney has got what it wants, a all Sydney comp once the cows bow out. We already know their fate.
The code has lost another 4.
NZ, QLD, and Melbourne wont be watching, expect a dismal drop in viewers, again.

They are brawling on the streets in Ipswich because of the bad ref decisions. It has now drifted down to the lower grades.
Well done NRL.
3 million and four drop in viewers and counting.

Yeah fu*kstick - because its up to the NRL to prop up that festering turd of a club because they can't manage a succession plan correctly.

They are brawling in the streets of Ipswich because they are inbred morons who have nothing better to do with their time. I'm sure your mother was in it up to her armpits.

Back in your cage, gimp.