What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bitch Finally Strikes

Ari Gold

Bench
League World Cup never a contender

By Rebecca Wilson
October 18, 2008 12:00am
WHILE the Socceroos continued on their almost perfect road to the World Cup this week, the Australian rugby league team was busy preparing for what must surely be the greatest non-event of all time - the World Cup of rugby league.
Soccer's four-yearly celebration is one of the showpieces of world sport. It is right up there with the Olympic Games and fanatics could quite rightfully argue it is even bigger than the five-ring circus.
To qualify for football's World Cup is a massive achievement. It takes months and months of jumping through hoops to earn your ticket.
Sadly, the same cannot be said for the league event. For those of you who don't know, the 18-match tournament starts in Sydney next week.
It features teams from such league superpowers as Scotland and Tonga. They will play a round-robin competition in league strongholds along the eastern seaboard. Sadly, one of only two games that matters in the entire tournament - Australia versus England - will be played in Melbourne. And we all know how much Melbourne loves its league.
I am a huge rugby league fan. For about 26 weekends a year, I am glued to the box watching the best league competition in the world - the National Rugby League.
When it's over, though, it's bloody well over. As soon as the long weekend passes, we hang up our league and AFL boots and replace them with cricket pads or jockey silks.
The last thing we need in October and November at the end of a very, very long football season is a meaningless league tournament played in front of crowds (I use that term loosely) who really don't care about the outcome.
There are three nations who play league at any sort of elite level. Australia, New Zealand and England are the trio of countries in which rugby league is played at club level in quite large numbers.
Tonga, Scotland, Ireland and Fiji are rugby union and soccer strongholds. The likelihood that participation in a league World Cup will in any way change the status quo in any of these countries is very, very low.
Then there is the dilemma facing television directors - how to conceal empty stands from the audience watching Ireland play Tonga at Parramatta Stadium. Unless they start giving the tickets away now, and promising a free carton of beer with them, no one can honestly expect a crowd to front.
This can only mean one thing. Rugby league suffers from a massive inferiority complex. While the AFL is content to rest on its domestic laurels, pockets of the league community are intent on trying to turn their game into an international one. This will, of course, never happen.
Tournament organiser Colin Love is the chairman of the Australian Rugby League, the body that runs representative rugby league. Somehow, Love managed to convince the NRL that holding a tournament at the end of a gruelling league season was a good idea.
The NRL has even offered its marketing expertise to help sell those thousands of tickets very few people really want to buy. I still haven't met anyone who has paid for a ticket.
The Australian selectors are the only ones who have attracted any publicity so far. They picked two Broncos players who are still being investigated over an alleged sexual assault in a public toilet several weeks ago.
League needs to have a look at rugby union. It is an international game that knows exactly what side its bread is buttered on.
The Wallabies are about to embark on a tour of Hong Kong and Europe.
The Bledisloe Cup match against New Zealand in Hong Kong has been sold out for months.
The Tests in Europe are a highlight of the rugby union calendar few union fans here miss. But the Wallabies don't go to Somalia or Brazil to play matches.
Union bosses play to their audience. League just never learns.
The geniuses behind this folly will all stand around at the World Cup final between two of the three teams who can play and congratulate themselves on what a sterling achievement the whole farce has been.
In fact, it should never have happened at all. Why wouldn't we just put a team from England on a plane to Sydney, play two Tests and hand over a trophy at the end of it?
Australia already play against New Zealand on Anzac Day. League fans could easily surmise who is the best in the world with just two or three Test matches a year.
Rugby league has a wonderful domestic product. While that is apparently not enough for the minority who keep flogging a dead horse, it should be.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24511133-5017479,00.html

](*,)

smacky

Juniors
you can really tell she loves the game, thats just an insult to all the developing teams in the cup that are giving it a go and hopefully can build it up in their country.....it may seem like a farce to her now but it is because of these world cups that rugby league will be a more international game in the future

brendothejet

First Grade
she is just a stupid filthy bitch.

Another hopeless journo who can't be bothered to do the research. She should go and talk to the Dutch who started there qualifiers almost 2 years ago...

Calixte

First Grade
This woman is one of the thickest twits in the media.

Her editor must be asleep...

Taken apart in 6 sentences:-

1. Ignores the RLWC qualifiers but mentions those of soccer.

2. Uses the Fitzsimons "I love rugby league line" :lol:

3. Variation on the clearly refuted "Qld/NSW, NZ, Nth England" sh*t.

4. Gushes over AFL.

5. Mentions an unrelated and unsubstantiated allegation.

6. Sucks up to union and fails to mention RLWC Final also sold out for months in a bigger stadium.

f**k off.

She is as bad as the poorest of the trolls here...

:lol::lol::lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd ban this media whore from every RL ground in the country. She is pure poison for the game!

bowes

Juniors
She should go and talk to the Dutch who started there qualifiers almost 2 years ago...
What a load of good that did them, there's no longer Dutch RL (though on a more positive note several European nations (Latvia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ukraine) seem to have popped up instead

Butters

Bench
This woman is one of the thickest twits in the media.

Her editor must be asleep...

Taken apart in 6 sentences:-

1. Ignores the RLWC qualifiers but mentions those of soccer.

2. Uses the Fitzsimons "I love rugby league line" :lol:

3. Variation on the clearly refuted "Qld/NSW, NZ, Nth England" sh*t.

4. Gushes over AFL.

5. Mentions an unrelated and unsubstantiated allegation.

6. Sucks up to union and fails to mention RLWC Final also sold out for months in a bigger stadium.

f**k off.

She is as bad as the poorest of the trolls here...

:lol::lol::lol:

What? Since when? My cousin bought tickets on Wednesday and you can still buy Category A tickets for it...

The Tank

Bench
League needs to have a look at rugby union. It is an international game that knows exactly what side its bread is buttered on.
The Wallabies are about to embark on a tour of Hong Kong and Europe.
The Bledisloe Cup match against New Zealand in Hong Kong has been sold out for months.
The Tests in Europe are a highlight of the rugby union calendar few union fans here miss. But the Wallabies don't go to Somalia or Brazil to play matches.
Union bosses play to their audience. League just never learns.

Bourbon Beccy contradicts himself.. says union "plays to their audience" yet they're playing in Hong f**king Kong.

Coastbloke

Bench
The article is 99% hateful spiteful garbage...

I support any call for her to be blackballed from the game. She is NOT a fan..

The 1% of her article that is the truth is as follows:

"League just never learns"

You only have to look at some of the frustrated comments from true International League supporters on here - including myself - that is a fair point of view...

XIII

Juniors
I don't think much of this bird as a journo but she is a league fan from what I can tell. She was on board against Money Bill remember.

juanfarkall

Coach
Chewie has had the sh*ts on ever since Wes Naiqama moved to Newcastle to make it harder for her to stalk him.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well if Becky isn't interested she won't be missed, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Funny how league has only 3 nations that take it seriously yet union is global.....I guess they take union VERY SERIOUSLY in Spain, Beligium, Germany, China, Egypt, Indonesia etc.

What about cricket and their world cup, or netball and their wonderful championships?

Isn't the Olympic ethos about taking part and celebrating sport? Why when we do this or hold an innocent tournament to celebrate 100 years we are bagged off by every scumbag in the media?

What is the agenda here?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
From http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...league/08/10/17/RUGBYL_England_Nightlead.html

Ticket sales for the four-week tournament have passed the £2million (Australian dollars five million)
mark and organisers say the final at Suncorp Stadium is a guaranteed 52,500 sell-out.

I'd say this tournament is about to launch our game. Finally we can use the WC, as union does with theirs, as a cash cow to invest into development.

But according to Bec we should give up and stay in our place, we aren't allowed to grow our game because she says so, we aren't allowed to have ambition and aspirations.

What sort of person deprives something the opportunity to grow? Who the hell are we harming?

JasonE

Bench
She actually gets paid for that ?

Have to laugh at the comment that she dosen't know anyone who has paid for tickets, that is just a cheap shot.

She didn't mention France in that article, maybe she's upset that Thomas Bosc has knocked back several offers to switch to yawnion, or maybe she's too ignorant to know anything about that.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Her examples were pretty weak.

Socceroos games against Qatar and Bahrain aren't going to capture the imagination of the country even if they are WC qualifiers. And if say 5k watching Ireland vs Tonga at Parra Stadium is embarrassing then 34k watching the Socceroos at Suncorp isn't too inspiring either.

International AFL is a joke, yet they have revived it this year as direct competition to the Australia vs England match in Melbourne. Scum.

Bledisloe in Honkers is just a money raising exercise as the ARU war chest is a bit empty now.

Cheezel

Juniors
I suggest we get on to the article and leave a comment. I have just posted to point out all the errors in her article. Let make her look like the idiot she is!

Matterhorn

Juniors
It would be like Phil Gould writing an article bagging the Netball world cup.

However, when it comes to league everyone with an agenda like to write as much negative crap as possible.

Wasn't Bec on the panel during the 2003 RUWC. She must be employed by the ARU to write that piece of dribble.

I can't remember the last time she has written a positive league article.....