What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Breakdown With Matt Elliot

ram raid

Bench
Does anybody else get into this? I've been devouring them since the start of the season. It's good for fans like me who are interested in learning finer points of the game. I learn something new every week. This week I learned what a '3 defender' is. It's not often you get a coaches insight into the game. Gus could do it but he seems to prefer to shove his intellect up his arse when he enters the commentary box. The best analysis I find comes from Johns, drunk or not. But for the most part 9 seems intent on catering to the lowest common denominator. I hope nrl.com keeps Elliot's gig going next year. His passion really comes through when he nearly blows his load explaining some of the plays. Here is the grand final edition:

http://www.nrl.com/the-breakdown-wi...ion/tabid/10959/contentid/794943/default.aspx

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Matt Elliott is an extremely good analyst of Rugby League. He's intelligent and knows what he's talking about.

However, that doesn't always translate to being a good coach - hence why he's doing analysis and not coaching I guess.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
He's succeeding in the media because he is an extremely affable chap, who doesn't present any obvious biases like the entire Nine cohort.

Team selections still haven't been the same since he left though.

GongPanther

Referee
Matt Elliott is an extremely good analyst of Rugby League. He's intelligent and knows what he's talking about.

However, that doesn't always translate to being a good coach - hence why he's doing analysis and not coaching I guess.

What has got back to me is that he has had poor social and communication skills.

And he was a heavy biter if anyone wound him up for a laugh.

To put it in a nutshell,the guy was a good tactician,but an arsehole of a bloke to get along with especially when the pressure was applied.

Now,what I have mentioned above is all fiction.

See? Anyone can drool crap when they want to.

It's the interweb.:)

ram raid

Bench

Good on him anyway. Being a coach has to be a pretty stressful and thankless job. Even when you are successful you still end up being treated like shit - such as Toovey this year. Hopefully he stays in the media in some capacity. This breakdown thing is awesome. I just hope enough people appreciate it to make it worth his time.

flamin

Juniors
I agree with the OP. There is a dearth of real analysis in rugby league commentary. It's usually just commentators making general statements - "their forwards were better", "their kicking game was poor" - or simply quoting stats.

While his communication isn't always on point, I've definitely learned a thing or two about the game from Elliot's insights on different structures. Hope it continues next season, and - who knows - encourages others to actually discuss the game.

maccattack

Juniors
Thanks for that. Id never seen it before. Quite good.
He presents it almost like you're in the room with him. And doesnt come across as superior as mentioned above.
Wish id knew about it earlier.

Great stuff :)

Snappy

Coach
Yes, Ive really enjoyed these segments this year. Really great insight.

My fav was the one after we played the Storm and he broke down our defensive style.

some11

Referee
Elliot loves his football.

They need to have this bundled with Footy Classified, cancel TFS and we have everything we need.

nick87

Coach
Havent seen any of it but I've always felt he had the chops to be a really good media analysist. He's a good guy, he's funny, knowledgeable and can communicate clearly and concisely.
He can't coach at all, like not even a little bit... but im not surprised he's doing some media gig that people enjoy

MrAnonymous

Bench
Elliot is to much of a nice merkin to be an NRL coach.

I don't even think they were training at the end when he was at Penrith had no respect from the players the players ran the club.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It is excellent to watch and should be much more of it.
I would like Matt to touch on,the timing and how beautifully halves like Thurston weight their passes.
Great passing is the difference between very good and great teams.

ellskimore

Juniors
He's one of my favourite NRL media personalities. Always liked his character as a person when coaching and it's good to see him kick on to this role. His constant run-ins with fans complaining about scrums on ABC radio is a laugh.

ram raid

Bench
Yes, Ive really enjoyed these segments this year. Really great insight.

My fav was the one after we played the Storm and he broke down our defensive style.

Yes, that was fascinating. Interesting the way the Broncs sit back and almost allow teams to get to the advantage line for the sake of keeping their defensive integrity.

ram raid

Bench
He's one of my favourite NRL media personalities. Always liked his character as a person when coaching and it's good to see him kick on to this role. His constant run-ins with fans complaining about scrums on ABC radio is a laugh.

Haha. What do the callers say to him? Is Elliot a fan of scrums?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Clearly the bloke is just not a man manager. Love hearing him speak on league though.

I would imagine he'd be great on a coaching staff handling the technical stuff and having little to no contact with the playing group itself.

Meninga has shown that you can be a good man manager and be shit technically to get a head coach gig (albeit 3 games a year).

Latest posts