What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bulldogs

Canterbury... in or out?

• Total voters

brooksy19

Bench
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Apart from the 50-60,000+ League fans you would lose overnight.

If my team was mergd with others to such an end - I sure as hell wouldn't bother supporting such a Sydney 'superteam'. As good as they might be.

Rugby League would simply be DEAD to me henceforth - and I would be off to the A League as my #1 priority.

Stupidest idea ever...FFS - that mental Otto bin Mark Geyer backs this propsal - Need I say more???!

If you want to KILL Rugby League in Sydney - hell, go for it - Else - Forget about it...

Exactly. Wests & Balmain probably lost around 15,000 fans each through the merger, you'd expect the same again from each team MH mentioned, especially an association with the Bulldogs.

gregstar

Referee
keep them in.

asio's job of survailing criminals is made easier each weekend knowing where they are.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Apart from the 50-60,000+ League fans you would lose overnight.

If my team was merged with others to such an end - I sure as hell wouldn't bother supporting such a Sydney 'superteam'. As good as they might be.

Rugby League would simply be DEAD to me henceforth - and I would be off to the A League as my #1 priority. Football is a tribal thing - it's the very lifeblood of the sport - Rubgy League is about MORE than just 'success'.

Stupidest idea ever...FFS - that mental Otto bin Mark Geyer backs this propsal - Need I say more???!

If you want to KILL Rugby League in Sydney - hell, go for it - Else - Forget about it...

From a personal perspective, I agree, I couldn't stand to see my team fall by the wayside. But you can't question the power the team would hold.

Given the purported success of the idea of the A-League, coupled with the strength of our competition already, in some ways, it could work. Either way, I want to keep my 'Dogs.

Timmah

Staff member
brooksy19 said:
Exactly. Wests & Balmain probably lost around 15,000 fans each through the merger, you'd expect the same again from each team MH mentioned, especially an association with the Bulldogs.

Wests and Balmain lost 15k?

Their crowds were quite possibly the lowest of the 1999 season... wasn't it one of the criteria for the entry into the 2000 season? They're now top 5 in the crowds. With the premiership now up their sleeve, they are thriving.

Again, while I don't want to lose Canterbury, and may not support such a team if it existed, you haven't provided much backing as to why it would fail.

***MH***

Bench
brooksy19 said:
I always suspected you were a loser, you just confirmed it there.

Sydney's West is probably the games strongest area and you wan't to reduce the teams to 1. Why not hand Western Sydney to AFl & Union on a platter.

Tool.
1. Because I'd rather a National Competition than a NSW Competiton.
2. Forming 5 clubs into 1 will make Western Sydney Stronger not Weaker,
3. Not only would a West Sydney team exist, an East Sydney team consisting of Manly, Roosters, Souths, Dragons and Sharks would form to make a super East Sydney team.
4. The spots for players to make first grade would be more lucriative, therefore having more stars and less rejects.
5. Rugby League would have a strong National status and NSW will have a proper Sydney 2nd tier comp
6. I'm allowed to dream of making Rugby League bigger and better, calling me a loser proves you have nothing to add to this topic.
7. Tools are useful

brooksy19

Bench
Mate, fans don't all live in one area, just because they don't live in Sydney, hence can't get to many games all, doesn't mean theyre not fans.

Sure a Super Team would probably be a success on field (though salary cap restrictions would negate that anyway) and financially, you'd lose a bucket load of fans to other codes. I for one wouldn't watch another game of league.

Timmah

Staff member
brooksy19 said:
Mate, fans don't all live in one area, just because they don't live in Sydney, hence can't get to many games all, doesn't mean theyre not fans.

Sure a Super Team would probably be a success on field (though salary cap restrictions would negate that anyway) and financially, you'd lose a bucket load of fans to other codes. I for one wouldn't watch another game of league.

Uh, did you actually read what I said? WT are more popular now than Wests or Balmain were, judging by crowds and television coverage.

You can bandy about "doesn't mean they're not fans", but the figures speak for themselves. How the hell do you know it won't work?

brooksy19

Bench
Now he wants only two teams in Sydney, that will do me. This is not the USA mate, we don't have millions of supporters in each states capital city and never will.

Choppies

Coach
Keep em in. As a brand they are too big an asset to let go. They are trying to change their image now and good luck to em in that as they will need it. I am sure 99% of bulldogs fans didn't want rape scandals and salary cap scandals as well as appalling 'fan' behaviour.
As far as a super west sydney team pfft. I am very happy with Parra, Tigpies, Bulldogs and Panthers the way they are. if I was a supporter of one of those clubs and they merged you would lose me to Soccer.

jamesgould

Juniors
Timmah said:
I realise the lack of charges is nothing to be proud of, but in all honesty, "doesn't mean they were innocent" is a bullsh*t line. Doesn't mean they were guilty either mate, and last I checked: innocent til proven guilty.

Calm down you dickhead, I never said they were guilty!

Can bloody well vote them out for all I care if even the supporters who are intelligent to use to internet are as moronic as you are!

***MH***

Bench
brooksy19 said:
Now he wants only two teams in Sydney, that will do me. This is not the USA mate, we don't have millions of supporters in each states capital city and never will.
now if you do the math... 4 million divided by 2 is much larger than 4 million divided by 9.

***MH***

Bench
The QLD is a good example, you have a 2nd tier comp that backs up 3 Queensland Teams.
NSWRL would have their own 2nd tier premiership backing 2 Sydney clubs, Canberra, Wollongong and one up in Newcastle. Covers the same bases as the National Basketball League. Anyone thinks that we need 9 Sydney teams in a National Competition is too greedy. You would still support your side in a 2nd tier comp if you were a true supporter, thus making a NSWRL comp a strong backer. With the main comp, if you build it they will come.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
***MH*** said:
The QLD is a good example, you have a 2nd tier comp that backs up 3 Queensland Teams.
NSWRL would have their own 2nd tier premiership backing 2 Sydney clubs, Canberra, Wollongong and one up in Newcastle. Covers the same bases as the National Basketball League. Anyone thinks that we need 9 Sydney teams in a National Competition is too greedy. You would still support your side in a 2nd tier comp if you were a true supporter, thus making a NSWRL comp a strong backer. With the main comp, if you build it they will come.

TBH MH...i wouldnt like that idea... having my team merged with our rivals will put me off Rugby League and support soccer

brooksy19

Bench
so thats 3 out 4 posters in this forum, so far that would give away league if they're team merged into a super team, interesting to see a pol of 100 people, my guess is, it would be an overwelming NO to a sydney super team.

Look at English Premier League soccer, how many teams play out of London.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
brooksy19 said:
so thats 3 out 4 posters in this forum, so far that would give away league if they're team merged into a super team, interesting to see a pol of 100 people, my guess is, it would be an overwelming NO to a sydney super team.

compare the market in London to Sydney and there is a huge difference there...

Sydney has a population 4million...

London has a population of nearly 10million...

***MH***

Bench
brooksy19 said:

Well of course the result will be like that. People are too Sydney Centric to let go of their team out of a top flight competition. Look how the Rabbitohs carried on when they were given the flick. There are a lot of people who are going to oppose it. No one gave the Tigers/Magpie merger a chance and there was a lot of anguish when Balmain and Western Suburbs left the competition, but each club couldn't be in a better position in their history. The supporters didn't just go away and say "no, i'm not going to support a merged team". Now the Tigers have a huge supporter base in three districts.