What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Burgess Watch - Four Nations

coach

The 4 Nations is over for this season. So how do we think Sam performed?

I know some here didn't care how he went in this tournament. They had already made there minds up about him based solely on what they have either heard about him or what they saw of him in the Super League.

The 4 Nations was the first time I had the chance to see him play. First of all, I did not get caught up in all the hype about him. Burgess is, I believe just 21 years of age. His best years as a footballer are still a few years away. So lets give him sometime to settle in to Australian football.

But back to the 4 Nations. Out of 10 I would rate him a 6 on what I saw of him in the comeptition. Sam has good mobility for such a big man. He also is quite capable of getting a pass away when being tackled. But he didn't do this enough for my liking. It is a talent that was wasted in the competition. In defense he awalys seems to be around the ball. So I suspect his tackle count will always be high. But a lot of his tackles seem to be 2nd man in. On occasions some of his tackles may even be flops. He may get away with those in England but I doubt he will here in Australia.

JetRider

Juniors
Fair comments coach, similar to you this has been my first exposure to the man and as you had mixed feelings. All in all though, he does have the skills that our forwards have lacked ie can step and can pass. These alone should add value to our go forward as we have significant defensive forwards, so from a balance perspective I think that Burgess and Taylor will compliment what we have and provide that missing punch.

Again like you I thought he rated about 6, but did not think to many others rated much higher over the course of the 4 nations (including Australia). I think that in the matches that counted for England he was prominent, and that alone is reassuring for us as it means he may be that unpredictable component we need in tight matches.

Fein

First Grade
You two are gibberers. :crazy:

He was the best forward on the park bar none in the two games against Australia.

FFS, the kid is 20 and carving up at international level. :roll:

slammingsam

Juniors
He showed he has it all for a big man.
When he winds up he is a real handful.

Only criticism of him is that from time to time he looks to push the past to often - resulting in errors.
But that comes with maturity.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Fair comments coach, similar to you this has been my first exposure to the man and as you had mixed feelings. All in all though, he does have the skills that our forwards have lacked ie can step and can pass. These alone should add value to our go forward as we have significant defensive forwards, so from a balance perspective I think that Burgess and Taylor will compliment what we have and provide that missing punch.

Again like you I thought he rated about 6, but did not think to many others rated much higher over the course of the 4 nations (including Australia). I think that in the matches that counted for England he was prominent, and that alone is reassuring for us as it means he may be that unpredictable component we need in tight matches.
JR you rated Burgess a 6 you couldn,t have watched the same game as I did he was the best forward on the field I gave him a Big 10 once that Pommie centre got hurt the aussie's run through the the English outside backs Australia didn't get on top of the pommie pack it was in the centres where they won the game anyhow that try of Inglis was a NO TRY Slamming Sams Our Man!

The Clan

Juniors
Would you guys like to have Crabtree as well.

He had an awesome series and if you want big then Crabtree is BIG!

morgan123

Juniors
As a 'Pom' it's sad to see a star of the game disappear, we don't get the NRL over here. (Unless someone has picked up the coverage for next year?). But it'll be good to read about how he's getting on.

It'll be interesting to see if his brothers can step up and replace him over the next few years. I doubt the Aussies would look forward to an England pack featuring 8. Burgess, 10 Burgess, 11 Burgess and 12 Burgess:lol:

As a 'Pom' it's sad to see a star of the game disappear, we don't get the NRL over here. (Unless someone has picked up the coverage for next year?). But it'll be good to read about how he's getting on.

It'll be interesting to see if his brothers can step up and replace him over the next few years. I doubt the Aussies would look forward to an England pack featuring 8. Burgess, 10 Burgess, 11 Burgess and 12 Burgess:lol:

Morgan,can you shed any light on his brothers?

dacsinc

Juniors
Luke is his older brother (22 I think), a prop who plays for Leeds - he's taller and possibly heavier than Sam, but less mobile. He played as a sub when Leeds won the Grand Final this year. Certainly got off to a slower start to his career than Sam, quite possibly because he's an out-and-out prop. From what I've seen he could become a very good player in his own right.

His younger brothers are 17-year old twin props who have just signed to play with Bradford for 3 years.

I suspect all of his brothers will be interested in moving to the NRL - Luke and Sam shared a house together until Sam's move and from what I've heard the lot of them are very close.

JasonE

Bench
Luke is his older brother (22 I think), a prop who plays for Leeds - he's taller and possibly heavier than Sam, but less mobile. He played as a sub when Leeds won the Grand Final this year. Certainly got off to a slower start to his career than Sam, quite possibly because he's an out-and-out prop. From what I've seen he could become a very good player in his own right.

His younger brothers are 17-year old twin props who have just signed to play with Bradford for 3 years.

I suspect all of his brothers will be interested in moving to the NRL - Luke and Sam shared a house together until Sam's move and from what I've heard the lot of them are very close.

Pretty much spot on, Luke is not as gifted as Sam but he is a hard worker who has improved out of sight and i wouldn't be surprised if he makes the England side over the next few years especially as Morley and Peacock are coming to an end.

17 yo twins George and Tom have enormous potential and it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Fein

First Grade
Pretty much spot on, Luke is not as gifted as Sam but he is a hard worker who has improved out of sight and i wouldn't be surprised if he makes the England side over the next few years especially as Morley and Peacock are coming to an end.

17 yo twins George and Tom have enormous potential and it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Over the years we've seen two sets of three brothers in the one first grade team over here, that I can recall.

The Mortimers and The Hughes, both for Canterbury Bankstown and fantastic players they all were too.

Mark Hughes (for our English friends) is our recruitment genius.

4 would have to be one for the record books if it were to occur.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Over the years we've seen two sets of three brothers in the one first grade team over here, that I can recall.

The Mortimers and The Hughes, both for Canterbury Bankstown and fantastic players they all were too.

Mark Hughes (for our English friends) is our recruitment genius.

4 would have to be one for the record books if it were to occur.
Fein mate you forgot Arthur & Ray Brannighan, the Blakes Phil & Michael, The McCarthys Bob & Billy, The Stevens Gary & Wayne, The Ramplings Tony & Dean, The Walkers Chris & Ben all for the Bunnies.

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
Fein mate you forgot Arthur & Ray Brannighan, the Blakes Phil & Michael, The McCarthys Bob & Billy, The Stevens Gary & Wayne, The Ramplings Tony & Dean, The Walkers Chris & Ben all for the Bunnies.

What I meant Appin was 4 from the one family, as opposed to three from the Hughes and Mortimer clans.

We sure have had our fair share in the "double" department though. ;-)

What I meant Appin was 4 from the one family, as opposed to three from the Hughes and Mortimer clans.

We sure have had our fair share in the "double" department though. ;-)

Fein,the Mortimers had four.Im sure Glen Mortimer played a few first grade games at Canterbury before he headed to Cronulla.

Fein

First Grade
Fein,the Mortimers had four.Im sure Glen Mortimer played a few first grade games at Canterbury before he headed to Cronulla.

I thought Glen was a son of one of the brothers, Newc.

I'm certain he never played in the same team as the other three though.

Latest posts