What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cairns District Rugby League 2005 Thread

Bomber

Bench
Alrighty then, a bit of news from Moss-Vegas, although the source of information (Gazette) is often inaccurate and/or doesn't give two shits about league, so it could be wrong.

The A-Grade side this year will be co-coached by 2004 coach Ian Steley and 2004 captain Nathan Woods. The reserve grade coach is Christian Addison, the under 18s coach is Danny Stephenson. Training numbers have been reported to be good.

The Sharks will travel to Charters Towers tomorrow (12th) to take on the Miners in a curtain-raiser game to the Young Guns v Townsville. The Towers are captain-coached by ex-Sharks premiership winning halfback Noel Haslem. The game starts at 5:30pm with the main game at 7:00pm.

There will be a home trial against Suburbs on March 5, presumably in all three grades.

In other news, if my memory is correct, Kangaroos will be coached by former Canberra and Parramatta player - and Roos junior - David Westley, whilst Anthony Sexton has taken on the head coaching gig at Yarrabah.

Finally, high school footy kicks off again on February 23!

tully06nz

Juniors
yea pumpkin (matty morice) has signed and has been trainin with the tully tigers, as has ben ketchell and a few other former leps.

akdrob

Juniors
Young Guns cleaned up 40-4 against a valiant Atherton side which tired in the second two qaurters. The higher fitness and skill levels of a young Cowboys side told in the end.

Not much more news happening up on the Tablelands. Some trials this weekend (I think). Ivanhoes-v- Suburbs, Mareeba -v- Burdekin.

First and only pre-season round is on 5-6 March followed by the Brothers 9's comp the weekend after.

Bomber

Bench
When does the season proper start, akdrob?

Do you have the season draw? (silly question) Would you be able to post it here?

akdrob

Juniors
I have the full draw and will try and post it.

Round 1 on 19-20/3/05

Mossman -v- Atherton :)
Brothers -v- Mareeba
Kangaroos -v- Tully
Ivanhoes -v- Suburbs
Innsifail -v- Yarrabah

Comets_Harko

Juniors
There was a bit of a Mareeba reuion at Browne Park on the weekend with Chris Sheppard and Comets Fili Sofa and Tui McKenzie all hailing from Mareeba :)

Bomber

Bench
Those fixtures that you posted are identical to last year's opening fixtures!

Mossman spanked the Roosters, from memory.... :p

Breaking news from the bush telegraph - Mossman lost to Charters Towers last weekend, score unknown thanks to my intepid spies....more reports tomorrow (hopefully.....if the Gazette can get their hands off their proverbials over Aussie Rules....)

Harko - there seems to be a bit of talent in the NRL hailing from the Cairns DRL area. Sheppard (Mareeba), Slater (Innisfail), Ty Williams (Innisfail), Justin Hodges (Stinking Fish), Dallas Johnson (Atherton), Brent Webb (Roos), plus a couple of blokes from the Bulldogs reggies who were both Suburbs/Saint Augustines College lads. The success of the Cowboys over the years (not just 2004) is certainly paying dividends in developing local juniors. I've heard that junior registrations in Mossman are up by half, with the Port AFL juniors down by a similair percentage.

It's all good for league!

Tigertread

Juniors
Bomber said:
Breaking news from the bush telegraph - Mossman lost to Charters Towers last weekend, score unknown thanks to my intepid spies
Charters Towers 28 def Mossman 22

akdrob

Juniors
Bomber said:
Those fixtures that you posted are identical to last year's opening fixtures!

Mossman spanked the Roosters, from memory.... :p

Don't remind me of last year at Mossman :shock: :(

The draw is almost indeticle alll the way through to last years.

Bomber

Bench
Trial results from the weekend....comments to come later.....

Mossman 22 d. Suburbs 6
Ivanhoes 42 d. Brothers 36
Mareeba 58 d. Atherton 4 :shock:
Innisfail 26 d. Tully 6
Yarrabah beat Kangaroos by 2 (no score given)

tully06nz

Juniors
tully never looked to be in the game.
and you cant expect to win the game wen u have 27 drop balls.
halftime score was 22-0 to innisfail. better 2nd half but not not by much for tully
innisfaill hve a totally new team. the are a well drilled and organised team led by robbie swain. palmer wapau played at 5/8th. still lookin a lil unfit.
as for tully, no one played execotionally well as no one could hold onto a ball. joel reithmuller was strong and put sme gd hits on while bully muriata was the most dangerous back for tully

Bomber

Bench
What are your predictions for this year, tully06nz?

Before today I would have locked Brothers and Atherton in for the premiership but now I'm not so sure....

akdrob

Juniors
Brothers Nines Comp was cancelled due to heavy rain and flooding in Cairns last weekend.

Predictions for 2005. I know it is early but here goes.

Brothers to be up thereabouts. :twisted:
Ivanhoes the big improvers (bought well)
Atherton to slide down the ladder :cry:
Mareeba to push for a GF spot (plenty of NZ/Samoans)
Mossman to struggle again
Suburbs may scrape into top 5
Kangaroos to not last the distance (too many unreliable players)
Yarrabah to self destruct
Innisfail to be contenders
Tully may be in the top 5 depends on others

TOP 5: Brothers; Ivanhoes; Mareeba; Innisfail; Tully/Atherton

tully06nz

Juniors
i thnk the samoans/nz players for mareeba arent that good. they came from ivanhoes last year, and we all knw hw well they went.
i think the grainers are the strength behind the mareeba team this year.

akdrob

Juniors
Very true Tully. I was at fault not mentioning the Grainers particularly Shayne. He played lock for Mareeba against Atherton. The big forward pack certainly kept them on the front foot so I guess they did their job. If they last the season they will be better for each game played. They also showed some good speed out wide.
Are you playing this season? :)

tully06nz

Juniors
yea mate im playin again this year. was a last minuted decision to cme back after playin fr nz maori 7's team. was gna stay back in nz and play bartercard or mve to sydney and play jim beam cup.
will be an interestin season for tully. we have the potential to go good.
no player losses apart from matty nicol who didnt really fit in well at tully. has a bit of an attitude problem. and the return of matty morrice, ben ketchell. have only strengthed the side
oh well only time wil tell, haha

Bomber

Bench
Only a few days now.......

How about a little CDRL tipping comp? :D

I think this is the first round of fixtures:

Mossman v Atherton at the Showgrounds
Brothers v Mareeba at Stan Williams
Ivanhoes v Suburbs at Smithfield
Innisfail v Yarrabah at Callendar
Kangaroos v Tully at Vico

My tips - Mossman, Brothers, Ivanhoes, Innisfail, Tully