What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah but it also holds the strong clubs back to the median which is a double edged sword.

Sure it means that the weaker clubs can keep up without sending themselves broke to do it, but it also means that the stronger clubs can never truly meet their potential.

I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad idea, in fact I think it'd be better than current circumstances, I'm just saying that their are negatives that should be considered.

you could have discretionary spending if it is in areas that grow the business. Employing sam burgess, Greg Inglis and John Sutton post retirement for millions of $’s as an example, is not growing Souths business. when you say meet their true potential, in what areas do you mean?

reality is 75% of clubs are weak and are only one Bad news story costing them a main sponsor, couple of bad seasons costing them 5k on their attendance or a pokie club not doing so well from dropping into significant losses and trouble,

Which team should relocate to Adelaide?

Raiders could be a good option for Adelaide. Change their name to Southern Raiders and play 6 at Canberra Stadium, 6 at Hindmarsh.

If Melbourne Storm begin to struggle on and off the field after Bellamy and Smith call it stumps, maybe they could become the Southern Storm. 8 in Melbourne, 4 in Adelaide.

Tigers to Perth is a no brainer. 6 or 8 games in Perth, running school clinics in the week leading up to the game. Gives the kids who go through the clinics more reason to get mummy and daddy to take them to Perth Oval to watch the Western Tigers.

MugaB

Coach

Raiders could be a good option for Adelaide. Change their name to Southern Raiders and play 6 at Canberra Stadium, 6 at Hindmarsh.

If Melbourne Storm begin to struggle on and off the field after Bellamy and Smith call it stumps, maybe they could become the Southern Storm. 8 in Melbourne, 4 in Adelaide.

Tigers to Perth is a no brainer. 6 or 8 games in Perth, running school clinics in the week leading up to the game. Gives the kids who go through the clinics more reason to get mummy and daddy to take them to Perth Oval to watch the Western Tigers.
None of those, Roosters to Adelaide, Sea Eagles to Perth =West Coast "Sea" Eagles, PVL would just love that, and then bring back bears to Gosford/Northern suburbs

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Perth does not provide a time slot that will draw money in the eastern states and NZ.

It does for a Saturday or Sunday match. You could have three games played on a Sunday:
2pm AEST (12pm AWST)
4pm AEST (2pm AWST)
6pm AEST (4pm AWST)

You could do the same on a Saturday and have a game played before the 5pm game. WA basically can create 2 new broadcasting time slots on the East coast and provides a new viewer market. The fallout from that is potentially the NSWRL/QRL gets less coverage on Pay TV to accommodate the WA timeslot. The other issue, from a player welfare perspective, might be the heat in the earlier rounds of the comp or around September but plenty of the kids playing over there have to do it so I don't see why physically fit, well trained athletes couldn't do it.

greenBV4

Bench
The other issue, from a player welfare perspective, might be the heat in the earlier rounds of the comp or around September but plenty of the kids playing over there have to do it so I don't see why physically fit, well trained athletes couldn't do it.
It surely wouldn't be hotter than NQ? They make it work (usually with more away games to start the season)

The Jets.

It does for a Saturday or Sunday match. You could have three games played on a Sunday:
2pm AEST (12pm AWST)
4pm AEST (2pm AWST)
6pm AEST (4pm AWST)

You could do the same on a Saturday and have a game played before the 5pm game. WA basically can create 2 new broadcasting time slots on the East coast and provides a new viewer market. The fallout from that is potentially the NSWRL/QRL gets less coverage on Pay TV to accommodate the WA timeslot. The other issue, from a player welfare perspective, might be the heat in the earlier rounds of the comp or around September but plenty of the kids playing over there have to do it so I don't see why physically fit, well trained athletes couldn't do it.

Wouldn't a 12pm WAST game at Perth Oval affect attendances?

Fans would be blinded by the sun, which would be at its brightest and directly overhead, making everyone sweat.

That doesn't really create 2 new time slots on the east coast. There's already a Sat 3pm, Sat 5pm, Sat 7.30pm, Sun 4pm and occasional Sun 2pm and Sun 6pm games on the east coast every week.

The only slot that adds anything is the Sun 4pm WAST game from Perth, as it can be run on Ch9 Perth in the lead up to the 6pm News, but Foxtel wouldn't allow it as the game would be played at 6pm AEST and they would have the rights to it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
TBh most fans watching on TV are neutrals and are tuning in depending on their perception of how good a game its going to be. This notion that the clubs are the ones whose fans are tuning in simply isnt true, as evidenced by the consistent ratings across tv slots for different clubs. Storm are in the top three viewed clubs on TV, yet the Melbourne audience is tiny. TV doesn't care the Melbourne audience is tiny, they care that across the areas its is being shown on main channel and on PTV they are very heavily watched. Any club in any location can be the same if they are well run, performing well, have talented players and of interest to the wider RL community.

For the umpteenth time the value of expansion for TV is not in a single club, regardless of location, but in a ninth game to add extra content to sell. Ch9 has not demanded another Brisbane club in the last 3 TV deals. that's how much value they think it will add to their bottom line.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I'm not sure why you quoted me to say it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Those ratings prove there's little to be gained from expanding into Adelaide and Perth. Relocating 2 Sydney clubs that still have a fanbase in their heartland, to Adelaide and Perth, would surely be less expensive and better for ratings than starting 2 new clubs that won't rate any where in the country.

I hear what you're saying but I also think that the value of national sponsors to the league and the teams within the league plays a role too. I think it would be more palatable to be talking Adelaide and Perth (the 4th and 5th largest markets in Australia) expansion if we had already bedded down Brisbane and NZ2 years ago, in essence maxing out our heartlands and growing from there.

I hear what you're saying but I also think that the value of national sponsors to the league and the teams within the league plays a role too. I think it would be more palatable to be talking Adelaide and Perth (the 4th and 5th largest markets in Australia) expansion if we had already bedded down Brisbane and NZ2 years ago, in essence maxing out our heartlands and growing from there.
If QLD and NZ were sorted by now then everyone would be pushing for expansion/relocation to Adelaide and Perth. Hopefully the game can get teams in all of these areas.

Pippen94

First Grade

Campbelltown area growing faster than Perth - Tigers should focus on that.
Here in Sydney when Tigers are winning you realize how many fans they have. Losing them will hurt league

flippikat

Bench

No.

"Split home" clubs are not ideal - just look at the wandering home-ground setup that the Wests Tigers has. Are they a Campbelltown club? An inner-west club? A 2nd Parramatta club?!? It's just caused an identity crisis.

As bad as that is, that's just splitting games across one city - splitting games across multiple cities is an atrocious idea - by trying to be the team for two cities, you're ending up as the team for neither.

A club MAY want to take 1-2 games per year to a secondary market - and I think that could work - but anywhere near an even split is unweildy. (I'm looking at Tigers & Dragons most of all there)

flippikat

Bench
Campbelltown area growing faster than Perth - Tigers should focus on that.
Here in Sydney when Tigers are winning you realize how many fans they have. Losing them will hurt league

If they stay in Sydney, the Tigers future HAS to be Campbelltown. No more nomad-existance, get alongside MacArthur FC (A-League), and lobby hard to get Campbelltown Stadium upgrades. Carve a niche in Sydney away from the crowded space in the inner west where the Bulldogs & Eels stand toe-to-toe, with Souths fanbase increasingly skewing that way too.

MugaB

Coach
If they stay in Sydney, the Tigers future HAS to be Campbelltown. No more nomad-existance, get alongside MacArthur FC (A-League), and lobby hard to get Campbelltown Stadium upgrades. Carve a niche in Sydney away from the crowded space in the inner west where the Bulldogs & Eels stand toe-to-toe, with Souths fanbase increasingly skewing that way too.
PVL has stated a Liverpool boutique stadium, that has to be for either Wests or Bulldogs to call home, campbelltown is a great idea for the tigers, but if they persue that Liverpool stadium then im sure the tigers would be the home team there

greenBV4

Bench
You don't seriously believe the Storm have a wider following than the Donkeys, do you?

Donkeys would have far more fans on social media and are probably the largest and most powerful club in the country.
sorry It was a while ago I read it and got them slightly mixed up, Donkies were the largest in the country on social media, followed by Melbourne, the behind collingwood thing was tv viewership

"After eight rounds in the 2019 season, Storm are second only to Collingwood of all Victorian clubs watched on TV across all subscription and free to air networks.

Storm also continues to generate a significant online traction, having a larger social media following than any AFL club and the second largest of all AFL and NRL clubs in Australia."

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/20192/05/08/statement-on-purplebricks/

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No.

"Split home" clubs are not ideal - just look at the wandering home-ground setup that the Wests Tigers has. Are they a Campbelltown club? An inner-west club? A 2nd Parramatta club?!? It's just caused an identity crisis.

As bad as that is, that's just splitting games across one city - splitting games across multiple cities is an atrocious idea - by trying to be the team for two cities, you're ending up as the team for neither.

A club MAY want to take 1-2 games per year to a secondary market - and I think that could work - but anywhere near an even split is unweildy. (I'm looking at Tigers & Dragons most of all there)

I can't agree more with this. Trying to appeal to multiple areas or markets ends up appealing to no one, it is one of the worst things about the current Tigers' setup