What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Children Overboard issue develops

Jimbo

Immortal
ibeme said:
"Let's get a bit of perspective about this," he said. "The Senate is being used by the anti-government parties to score political points against me."

There's the money ball right there

_Johnsy

Referee
Vintage liberals, lie to win an election and do your best to cover it up. The children overboard was a key issue to the election win. Honest John strikes again, at least be man enough to admit John.

The children overboard was a key issue to the election win

why?
regardless of whether or not kids were thrown overboard, the Libs would have dealt with them in the same way

Labor would have ummed and aahed over the whole issue like they do with every issue

We can only assume that the public prefers the Libs border protection policies more
If that's contributed to the election win, it's Labor's problem, not the Libs'.

Lang Park

Juniors
millersnose said:
i think they were thrown there

after the boat was scuttled

:shock: looks like you are wrong Millers about kids being thrown.Here's awitness

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1179280.htm

An Australian Navy gunner aboard HMAS Adelaide has broken her silence on what she saw the night asylum seekers allegedly threw children overboard from a boat in Australian waters.

Laura Whittle, 22, helped rescue refugees from the water on October 6, 2001, and says she did not see any children being thrown from the vessel, known only as SIEV IV.

Ms Whittle, formerly from Sheffield in northern Tasmania, says she remembers the night well.

HMAS Adelaide spotted a rickety boat carrying about 250 refugees heading to Christmas Island.

About 3:00am, Ms Whittle says five or six men jumped into the water, where they were picked up by an inflatable Navy boat.

Ms Whittle has told the Advocate newspaper she then saw a man atop the boat holding out a small girl, gesturing as if he would throw her in the water.

She says the man wanted to get the child to safety in the inflatable boat.

She says this was the only time she saw a child being held out like that.

Ms Whittle, who is on maternity leave, told the newspaper she jumped into the water without a life jacket to help a woman and a boy into a life raft.

A picture of this rescue was released nationally. Ms Whittle says her colleagues felt betrayed when their actions were portrayed differently.

_Johnsy

Referee
shire

Nobody on the left cares anymore. No surprises there.

As for what lobor would have we will never know because they were not the ones in power and they did not make the decisions. Johnnie did, and if he lied he has to be held accountable. Not to big on accountability for the PM are you fellas. :clap:

ibeme

First Grade
ShireShark said:
i believe the PM and it's driving you all mad

Anyone who believes the PM needn't fear an enquiry, or a lie detector test. It can only prove what you already know, and put the non-believers in their place can't it?

If I had the confidence in the PM that you claim to, I'd be wanting an enquiry.

Anonymous

Juniors
Senate set to probe if PM went overboard
August 18, 2004 - 11:25AM

Labor Senate Leader John Faulkner today flagged a Senate inquiry into claims that Prime Minister John Howard misled the public over the children overboard affair.

Former senior defence adviser Mike Scrafton this week revealed he had told John Howard on November 7, 2001 - three days before the federal election - that there was no evidence to support claims that asylum seekers threw children overboard a boat codenamed SIEV4.

Mr Scrafton said a video of the incident did not support the claims and photographs which were said to prove it occurred were taken on a different day.

The former head of the defence department's public affairs and corporate communication division, Jenny McKenry, has now backed Mr Scrafton's version of events.

Senator Faulkner today flagged the need for a Senate inquiry.

"I'm going to talk to the leaders of the minor parties in the Senate about terms of reference and structure and timing of such an inquiry," the senator told reporters in Sydney.

He said Ms McKenry's comments in support of Mr Scrafton were "a very significant development".

"I think it really does give weight for the need for us to have a Senate inquiry to get to the bottom of these most extraordinary allegations that have been made," he said.

Senator Faulkner said both Ms McKenry and Mr Scrafton would have to face any inquiry.

"Clearly what Mr Scrafton has said, now supported by what Ms McKenry has said needs to be investigated thoroughly."

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/18/1092764979521.html?oneclick=true

For a news story that happened 3 years ago, it seems to be causing Howard a few headaches.

I dont fear the inquiry
And I dont even need to comment on a lie detector test

This inquiry is a waste of time
The Senate should be spending its time on other things
That f**king grub John Faulkner could begin by representing the people of NSW in Parliament, rather than having a second try at a partisan witch hunt

_Johnsy

Referee
I see the senate does. Nobody must mean the PM and his loyal supporters, afterall Australia starts and ends with the libs (note sarcasm). It can be the only explaination

_Johnsy

Referee
I love it, anyone who is not a liberal, and wants to get to the bottom of the events that occured is a "FU**ING GRUB"

No more needs to be said on the matter, thank's shire you have just shown what we all knew, protect the little man at all costs.

Anonymous

Juniors
Lets see who is on this list so far:

Former senior defence adviser Mike Scrafton

Former head of the defence dept public affairs & corporate communication division, Jenny McKenry

Senator John Faulkner

Commanding Officer of the HMAS Adelaide, Commander Banks

Navy Vice Admiral David Shackleton

General Peter Cosgrove, AC MC Chief of Defence Force

plus one lie detector.... :lol: