What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The clean out

cb4

First Grade
Some teams jump the gun regarding juniors. I think the sharks offer to Jack Bird was pretty high for a kid his age, and the gaurentee of playing first grade is a big risk.

What is this based on?

Remember back a few years, they signed a youngster that they claimed would be the next SBW, untried in first grade, they gave him a $300k a year contract over 3 years, and he failed!!!!

He was signed on a big contract, but played 10 minutes of first grade and took home no more than 100k off us. At the time he was there, the NRL's minimum wage was 70k, so he was really nothing more than I high paid reserve grader.

Im not saying Bird will fail, but he has as good a chance of failure as he does of success.
I am not saying I will win the lotto this week, but I have just as much chance of winning it as I don't

love my saints

Juniors
1: Its based on fact, ricky stuart signed him to the sharks
2: the player i was refering to wasnt signed from us!!!
3: wish u the best with the lotto

cb4

First Grade
1) You are talking about Jack Bird in point 1, which is what I responded too.

YOU
I think the sharks offer to Jack Bird was pretty high for a kid his age

ME
What is this based on?

Ricky had nothing to do with Jack Bird, and his contract is modest until he plays rep football.

2) Whats that got to do with anything.

3) I don't play the lotto.

giboz71

First Grade
You've changed tack now.

You originally said all but 2 of the Souths backline were local juniors, and the forwards contained plenty as well. I don't care where they started or how young they were at the time when Souths poached them, they aren't Souths juniors.

I get what you're saying, but whether the players are local juniors or identified from another region, I think a club like Souths who brings on rookies need to be acknowledged.

End of the day, they identified, invested in and mentored players who contributed to their premiership. The fact that not all was from their own backyard is irrelevant.

It's not an equal playing field anyway, as some clubs have large junior nurseries and some (like the roosters) have none. This is where scouts really earn their keep.

The fact that we are one of the clubs with the big nurseries (from 2 regions) just makes us all the more pathetic, given our failure to bring on rookies in the last few years.

bottle

Coach
I get what you're saying, but whether the players are local juniors or identified from another region, I think a club like Souths who brings on rookies need to be acknowledged.

End of the day, they identified, invested in and mentored players who contributed to their premiership. The fact that not all was from their own backyard is irrelevant.

It's not an equal playing field anyway, as some clubs have large junior nurseries and some (like the roosters) have none. This is where scouts really earn their keep.

The fact that we are one of the clubs with the big nurseries (from 2 regions) just makes us all the more pathetic, given our failure to bring on rookies in the last few years.
Here's the point, I don't care where Souffs players come from.
f**k Souffs.
What I care about is he made a statement that was incorrect. I pointed that out. That's all. That's it.
Did I mention f**k Souffs?

grouch

First Grade
f**k Souffs.
What I care about is he made a statement that was incorrect. I pointed that out. That's all. That's it.
So you focused on a minor detail in a lame attempt to belittle and discredit an argument, regardless of how sound it may be. The fact remains that they were identified and blooded by Souths. Just as Trent Merrin was for us - Merrin who grew up in Alexandria and is for all intents and purposes a Souths junior.

giboz71

First Grade
So you focused on a minor detail in a lame attempt to belittle and discredit an argument, regardless of how sound it may be. The fact remains that they were identified and blooded by Souths. Just as Trent Merrin was for us - Merrin who grew up in Alexandria and is for all intents and purposes a Souths junior.

Yeh...it was the point I was trying to get across. Merrin is actually a good example of what I was getting at.

Anyway, all good. Carry on.

blacksafake

First Grade
f**k Souffs.

So Bottle tell us what you really think of souths:lol:

gonz

Juniors

Organic growth

Latest posts