What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The clean out

Minh

First Grade
Good comments Minh..,most players see the game as a business venture these days...I'm afraid the colour of your jersey for some is long gone
mate :x

It's almost pointless to develop a gun talent knowing that you have buckleys to none chance of keeping them once the big cheque books come out.

TheRev

Coach
It's almost pointless to develop a gun talent knowing that you have buckleys to none chance of keeping them once the big cheque books come out.
Spot on.. I've never been sadder about the state of the game, watching the next great kids make 1st grade is my favourite thing in the world.. Takes years, and losing the last 2, im devoed.. Meanwhile the rich clubs stockpile rep players and juniors alike.

Minh

First Grade
Spot on.. I've never been sadder about the state of the game, watching the next great kids make 1st grade is my favourite thing in the world.. Takes years, and losing the last 2, im devoed.. Meanwhile the rich clubs stockpile rep players and juniors alike.

Yes stockpile is the word....There has to be some kind of massive concessions for junior talent. I remember seeing Mundine come through the grades, that was special.

Mr Red

First Grade

barring on field performance, off field we have an equal amount of chance of keeping players as any club. the salary cap and third party deals can be exploited by us just the same as any other club - but we arent astute enough to do so.

and the other thing we have against us is our un-willingness to blood youngsters quick enough - we think they need 1 or 2 more years developing whereas the player in most cases is ready (at least for the odd game as backup to blood him) - and along comes another club offering a place in the first grade squad and a career path to first grade and off he goes...

our recruitment strategy has become one of signing a lot of average first graders for depth, instead of filling some of the roster with the cream of the juniors coming through the grades, and this approach has been a disaster.. the juniors coming through simply see no career path in front of them for first grade..
this mentality we have developed in the last 3 seasons must change, and it will go a long way to retaining promising juniors..

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
barring on field performance, off field we have an equal amount of chance of keeping players as any club. the salary cap and third party deals can be exploited by us just the same as any other club - but we arent astute enough to do so.

and the other thing we have against us is our un-willingness to blood youngsters quick enough - we think they need 1 or 2 more years developing whereas the player in most cases is ready (at least for the odd game as backup to blood him) - and along comes another club offering a place in the first grade squad and a career path to first grade and off he goes...

our recruitment strategy has become one of signing a lot of average first graders for depth, instead of filling some of the roster with the cream of the juniors coming through the grades, and this approach has been a disaster.. the juniors coming through simply see no career path in front of them for first grade..
this mentality we have developed in the last 3 seasons must change, and it will go a long way to retaining promising juniors..
This ;-)

giboz71

First Grade

100% agree.

And as a consequence of our inability to blood rookies, we are forced to delve into the player market and spend up big on external recruits. Which would be fine if we actually got results (like the Dogs), but for whatever reason we don't.

Which results in the situation we are in now....a double edged sword of poor results and salary cap pressure, and no options to resolve it (other than letting our best players go it seems).

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

This is a Steve Price policy. Hence him playing a 34 year old hooker at halfback for 26 weeks straight. :crazy:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Inglis - No
Johnston - Yes
Walker - Yes
Avua'a - No
Tuqiri - No
Keary - No
Reynolds - Yes

Out of 7 players, 3 juniors only.

Forwards, 3 X Burgess, McQueen, Teo, Tyrell, Korisau. All imports. In fact of their starting pack only Sutton is a junior.

Your maths needs work Slip.
Our 2010 GF side had more juniors than that lot.

Guys like Keary, Avua'a, McQueen, Tyrell, Korisau, Burgess x 3 were not regular NRL playes they were juniors from other clubs. The Burgess boys were young and from memory and were not in the English squad when they joined Souths. They were not playing NRL and were cheap as chips when Souths bought them bit harsh there mate. Souths brought them into grade. By bought I refer to the Dogs like Hodkinson (Manly) JMoz (Saints), Williams (Manly), Pritchard (Panthers). Eastwood (Broncos), Tolman (Storm), Peret (Chooks), Ennis (Broncos), Graham (Wigan), Brown (Sharks), All these guys were playing regular NRL some or most tasted finals footy. I think Graham even won a comp or 2 in ESL and was not cheap. None of these guys would have come accross less than 300k each. They did not make NRL debuts for the Dogs that is for sure (apart from the English internation in Graham). Let's face it not all juniors make good NRL players.

Our 2010 GF side had plenty of juniors that is what made it so special. And people were saying how loyalty is dead at the time and Saints had plenty of 1 club players.

fedzy

Juniors

Disagree somewhat. They may or may not be ready but a young guy always thinks they are ready. The problem with Price was no one was given a go, especially when the team was a dogs breakfast.

love my saints

Juniors

Some teams jump the gun regarding juniors. I think the sharks offer to Jack Bird was pretty high for a kid his age, and the gaurentee of playing first grade is a big risk.
Remember back a few years, they signed a youngster that they claimed would be the next SBW, untried in first grade, they gave him a $300k a year contract over 3 years, and he failed!!!!
Im not saying Bird will fail, but he has as good a chance of failure as he does of success.
but... thats one thing im hoping mary has the balls to do, at least give some juniors a taste of first grade throughout the year.
Time will tell i guess

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
Some teams jump the gun regarding juniors. I think the sharks offer to Jack Bird was pretty high for a kid his age, and the gaurentee of playing first grade is a big risk.
Remember back a few years, they signed a youngster that they claimed would be the next SBW, untried in first grade, they gave him a $300k a year contract over 3 years, and he failed!!!!
Im not saying Bird will fail, but he has as good a chance of failure as he does of success.
but... thats one thing im hoping mary has the balls to do, at least give some juniors a taste of first grade throughout the year.
Time will tell i guess

I forgot the young players name but I believe it was a Ricky Stuart signing when he was Sharks head coach that you are talking about.

love my saints

Juniors
Thats the one!!!
Imo i think bird will go on and be a first grade player, and a good one too.
But ill hold back on saying we f@#ked up for sure till he is, nothing is certain with these young boys.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Thats the one!!!
Imo i think bird will go on and be a first grade player, and a good one too.
But ill hold back on saying we f@#ked up for sure till he is, nothing is certain with these young boys.

He might be the next Matt Mundine, Jack Bosden, or Beau Henry

Redvpassion

Juniors
One will always come back and bite us. Hopfully not anytime soon.

The biggest stuff up to date would be thurston and the dogs. Couldn't have happened to a nicer team. :)

bottle

Coach
Guys like Keary, Avua'a, McQueen, Tyrell, Korisau, Burgess x 3 were not regular NRL playes they were juniors from other clubs. The Burgess boys were young and from memory and were not in the English squad when they joined Souths. They were not playing NRL and were cheap as chips when Souths bought them bit harsh there mate. Souths brought them into grade. By bought I refer to the Dogs like Hodkinson (Manly) JMoz (Saints), Williams (Manly), Pritchard (Panthers). Eastwood (Broncos), Tolman (Storm), Peret (Chooks), Ennis (Broncos), Graham (Wigan), Brown (Sharks), All these guys were playing regular NRL some or most tasted finals footy. I think Graham even won a comp or 2 in ESL and was not cheap. None of these guys would have come accross less than 300k each. They did not make NRL debuts for the Dogs that is for sure (apart from the English internation in Graham). Let's face it not all juniors make good NRL players.

Our 2010 GF side had plenty of juniors that is what made it so special. And people were saying how loyalty is dead at the time and Saints had plenty of 1 club players.
You've changed tack now.

You originally said all but 2 of the Souths backline were local juniors, and the forwards contained plenty as well. I don't care where they started or how young they were at the time when Souths poached them, they aren't Souths juniors.

Latest posts