What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Contender Australia

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Funny how Victor had a 100% knock out record prior to The Contender, yet imo hasn't looked at all likely to knock anyone out so far.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/the-contender-on-the-ropes/story-0-1225812030915

The Contender on the ropes

* By James Hooper
* December 19, 2009 11:50PM

THE credibility of television boxing show The Contender has been rocked by allegations of "dodgy" decisions and poor judging.

Billed as an opportunity to win $250,000 and a superfight against Anthony Mundine, the Fox 8 program has been put under the microscope after a string of suspicious decisions.

Ousted fighter Junior Talipeau remains furious about being robbed of victory against big-punching Russian Victor Oganov in the fourth fight of the series, a bout numerous boxing experts believe the Australian middleweight champion clearly won.

And The Sunday Telegraph has learned respected boxing trainer Johnny Lewis was so concerned about some of the results he approached NSW Boxing executive director Craig Waller.

Lewis is a paid member of the cast who acts as "mentor" for the 14 fighters. "I spoke to the boxing authority about it because I thought there was a couple of dicey decisions," Lewis said. "I felt with the sport being showcased in the way it was, the last thing the show needed was bad judging.

"I felt they should have used (more) experienced judges, but when I spoke to Craig Waller he turned around and said he thought they got it right. I'm not a judge, but if Junior didn't win that fight then I've never seen one. I'll stand by that until the day I die. There were a couple of fights where if you see the scorecards, some of them I felt were really wrong."

The Contender is produced by independent television company Granada for Fox 8, with all fights sanctioned and judged by the NSW Boxing Authority. Viewers are only shown a highlights package of each fight but they can watch all five rounds on the Fox 8 website.

As the series builds towards the final at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on January 11, ousted fighter Talipeau has lifted the lid on some of the decisions that have left beaten fighters fuming. "You know when you've lost and you know when you've won, and I definitely won my fight," Talipeau said. "It wasn't even close. I flogged him. These judges ... I just don't know.

"Maybe we need to start getting some younger judges because these guys are too old, or maybe it's corruption in the sport. It's like they'd made the decision before I even fought (Oganov)."

The explosive claims were met with a firm rebuke from The Contender's executive producer, Lara Hopkins, who said any talk of judges deciding the outcome of fights before the bouts was "ridiculous". "Not as far as we're concerned. I have absolutely no idea about that," Hopkins said.

But Gold Coast-based boxing promoter Jamie Myer agreed with the judging assessment of world champion trainer Lewis, labelling some of the decisions "dodgy".

"From what I've seen, some of the decisions look pretty dodgy. If I was Junior Talipeau I'd be filthy," Myer said. "I've watched all of the fights in full on the internet and there's a few fighters entitled to feel pretty hard done by."

Another ousted boxer, Les Piper, was also bemused by the scorecards in the Talipeau fight.

"During Junior's fight you could hear Victor's cornerman saying Junior was three rounds up on him," Piper said. "Paul Briggs even had a word to the judge about it. But what can you do? They say it's reality TV, but that's bulls...t."

babyg

Juniors
Can't believe Daniel Mckinnan lost. I had him going close. My money is on the Kenyan dude now.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
It was a unsportsmanlike but he had a lot riding on the tournament. Easy to doubt the judges results after some of the decisions earlier in the series- maybe that compounded the disbelief when he'd lost.

Wood V that crazy westy in the final would be a cracker of a fight.

Anyone here ordering the PPV, and if so is the mundine fight likely to be competitive?

Have to admit wouldn't mind seeing Webb and seen all of the contender so might grab it.

Snoochies

First Grade
Anyone else think Nadir's blow up was disgraceful last night?

Had a mate in the crowd and from his reports, there was alot more to it then what was seen on TV. Apparently the cops showed up and there was a real scuffle and everyone had to be cleared out of the studio.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just saw it and I had Kariz winning by a similar margin to the three judges.

Hamden is an idiot and it really sh*ts me when a bloke like him constantly rants on about his morals etc and then blows up like a lunatic over a correctly judged fight.

African Monkey

First Grade
Not to mention the way he started treating Pradeep although pradeep probably shouldn't have started crying.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
How good was that, eat a c**k ya Russian wanker, dirty head butting prick, got and fk ya bum buddy nader hamden. I
love how those pair of poofs both sook about the judges, the only way they made it that far is because of bullsh*t judges.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
haha wow. I can't believe how ordinary Victor is given his record. Isn't Garth basically a bit of a nobody?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think Kariz might be the one to beat. He has a few losses on his record but it's noticeable that they mostly came earlier in his pro career, against quality opposition, and at a higher weight.

Victor has beaten Kariz by knockout before and has a strong pro record as well, but he didn't look that impressive against Junior. Having said that, Junior may very well have been one of the top 2 or 3 in the comp and was just unlucky to (a) fight one of the big guns first up, and (b) cop the rough end of a close decision.

Nader would be the other one to consider but he looked very unimpressive against Les, and it's worth noting that Les previously battled his way to 2 draws against Israel, who tbh looked pretty sh*t.

And, oh yeah, I forgot about Daniel. He looked good but he has a few blemishes on his record too.

Hmmm, think I'll stick with Kariz as my tip.

Liking this tip atm

Anyone reckon there's any chance whatsoever that either of these guys can trouble Mundine?

The only thing I can think of is that, if Mundine has been getting to middleweight or even JM size, that's a pretty big mismatch with Kariz who is a former light-heavy/cruiserweight. Probably clutching at straws though.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
I think Kariz will win the Final next week, but Garth has some heart, he won't die wondering.

Hey does anyone know how many rounds will the Final be next week, and it is live isnt it, on the Mundine Undercard and live on fox 8 aswell.

Im not sure if any of these guys will trouble Mundine, maybe Kariz with is reach, one thing is for sure, if it goes the distance Mundine will win, because he likes running around the ring like a cat, and makes the opponent chase him.

Last edited: