What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The De-Merge Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I dont take umbrage at the idea of the JV, in fact it was 'necessary' at the time for long term survival.

As someone pointed out, we have have however lost our soul somewhere along the way. Be that 'pig-headedness' of certain Board members to remain important, or could it be the simple lethargy of those on the Board?

Kogarah v WIN
Travelling to training (some more than an hour each way)
Price then Mc85

Is this attractive to a prospective signing of a player (or re-signing for that matter)?

Our only mission is to somehow regain our soul, pride in the jersey etc.

Our issues are plenty, but without the JV we probably wouldn't even have this site, never-the-less have threads about it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For all those separatists I feel like it’s worthwhile reminding them that St George didn’t win one premiership in the 18 seasons they decided to try and go it alone without Illawarra.

Every one of the 16 premierships has come whilst the regions were together..

RedVDave

First Grade
This seems a huge over reaction to a charity shield loss.

Wayne Bennett was proof the merger can work, recruitment/retention is the obvious problem, as bad as Mary was it's the boards fault for putting him in there in the first place and extending his contract twice! Mary also plays a part in out sh!tty roster paying overs for the likes Norman etc.

thebigredv

First Grade
This seems a huge over reaction to a charity shield loss.

Wayne Bennett was proof the merger can work, recruitment/retention is the obvious problem, as bad as Mary was it's the boards fault for putting him in there in the first place and extending his contract twice! Mary also plays a part in out sh!tty roster paying overs for the likes Norman etc.

"A reaction to a charity shield loss"

I take offence to that. It's not about the result in a trial match. We haven't won one in a decade if you do want to go down that route though. Look at the percentages I posted that date back 100 years that clearly show one club was far more successful than the other.

Let's not ignore the fact that management have screwed this club up and there is a divide amongst the board. We have had a loser mentality for so long. Again Hunt saying it's not good enough blah blah why doesn't he dominate just one game and rise above, just once for all his coin, why? Because he is not actually held accountable because mediocre is the bar the St George Illawarra now strive for. The less-than-desirable coach appointment, the calibre of squad and the demoralising results match after match all point to it.

Why do so many ignore it in the name of loyalty. I feel like fighting back for our identity and pride. It's been 9 years of hell and we aren't even at the bottom of it all yet.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
"A reaction to a charity shield loss"

I take offence to that.
images

The Villain

Juniors
Last weekend every second lamp post in the area had a poster advertising the upcoming A League game at Kogarah. Will be interesting to see if our opening game gets similar.

thebigredv

First Grade
Last weekend every second lamp post in the area had a poster advertising the upcoming A League game at Kogarah. Will be interesting to see if our opening game gets similar.

Bound to happen when the Dragons are so slow to rectify their insurmountable issues as a club. People just go searching for success. Those in charge at Dragons are happy with less.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
My suggested new NRL licenses to be allocated are:
1. Darwin / PNG
2. Sunshine Coast / Brisbane North
3. South Island NZ
4. Adelaide
5. Perth
Apart from a second Brisbane franchise, which itself represents a considerable but seemingly acceptable risk, none of the above are likely to be viable. All of them are encroaching into enemy territory. A second NZ franchise would maybe be viable if based in Auckland, but that too is a big maybe.

You are replacing currently viable NRL teams with strong followings with risky ventures. Either Bulldogs or Eels would be lost. Either Panthers or Tigers would be lost. And either Roosters or Rabbitohs would be lost. And the Sharks would be lost. This would be nothing short of suicidal.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Jumping thumping bullfrogs ! Its far too early in the season to be talking about this garbage again . :frog:

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Jumping thumping bullfrogs ! It far too early in the season to be talking about this garbage again . :frog:
I disagree.

If we really want to be a premiership threat this year we should jettison the St George baggage and let Illawarra lead us to premiership glory.

Afterall, every single bit of silverware that has been won since 1999 has involved Illawarra.

It’s either been Illawarra stand alone or St George Illawarra.

Absolutely nothing has been won by St George by themselves.

Time to free ourselves of those dinosaur losers and focus on the future.

Viva la Illawarra.

St George can relive past glory in the NSW cup.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Im good for the merger as long as we play all games at Kogarah and Train at Kogarah with a new stadium apparently on the cards.

Strategically Kogarah will attrack better elite players who prefer to live in eastern suburbs, inner southern suburbs and even the shire!

Stop this bs the gong compares to the areas mentioned above.
Eg Cronk chose roosters because he prefered to live in Mosman! The gong was too far, not as good as investment property wise and also too far from his eminent media / fox career.

If we want to recruit the best, Kogarah is the best link.

MCINNES even shortened his travel by joining the sharks. His extended family also live in close by south sydney.

When players have choices and there are many in Sydney they will always do what is best for their families 1st.
Reduced travel times are a big part of that.

I am sure the club is factoring all this in as our win loss rate is the worst ever! It is not working and action is required urgently. The fans are totally fed up.

Morotti

Juniors
For all those separatists I feel like it’s worthwhile reminding them that St George didn’t win one premiership in the 18 seasons they decided to try and go it alone without Illawarra.

Every one of the 16 premierships has come whilst the regions were together..

What do you mean when the regions were together? You mean when Dragons were the single team from Kogarah all the way down to Wollongong (i.e. including the Sutherland Shire)?

Given Sharks were there in the 60's and Dragons then won in the 70's, I wasn't sure what your comment meant.

Morotti

Juniors
Maybe the catalyst for a Board restructure and the sacking of left-over staff. We need some professional Board members and a Leagues Club to be proud of.

That is one huge issue. The boards are made up of old boys. I have no idea how to mix this up as it seems so entrenched now.

Morotti

Juniors
Im good for the merger as long as we play all games at Kogarah and Train at Kogarah with a new stadium apparently on the cards.

Strategically Kogarah will attrack better elite players who prefer to live in eastern suburbs, inner southern suburbs and even the shire!

Stop this bs the gong compares to the areas mentioned above.
Eg Cronk chose roosters because he prefered to live in Mosman! The gong was too far, not as good as investment property wise and also too far from his eminent media / fox career.

If we want to recruit the best, Kogarah is the best link.

MCINNES even shortened his travel by joining the sharks. His extended family also live in close by south sydney.

When players have choices and there are many in Sydney they will always do what is best for their families 1st.
Reduced travel times are a big part of that.

I am sure the club is factoring all this in as our win loss rate is the worst ever! It is not working and action is required urgently. The fans are totally fed up.

Cronk chose to Roosters because he wanted to win. They are a club that wins. If the Dragons were as successful as the Roosters have been the past decade, we would have been a chance of signing anyone.

McInnes moved to Wollongong when he came to the Dragons. So he will likely move back to Sydney. moot point really.

Morotti

Juniors
Strange how Newcastle and Canberra etc seem to have no trouble signing quality or talented players despite not being a Sydney-based team. It's almost as if those clubs have competent management calling the shots and not total morons.

Canberra struggled for years to attract anyone. Because no one wanted to move down to Canberra. I feel as though their fortunes have changed as they have been more successful on the field.

Morotti

Juniors
Apologies been replying a lot to some of the comments on here and will now put my two cents in.

The issue is the identity of the club. It has always felt as though the St. George side and the Illawarra side were constantly at odds with each other. And we haven't really formed a new cultural identity as "St George Illawarra".

Whilst I did point out signings would go to team with successful track records, I must contradict myself a little and say that I do think if we based ourselves out of Kogarah, it would be better for the team. Better for recruitment. Better for sponsors. The idea would be to play most games out of Kogarah and start to experiment with taking the larger games to Moore Park (we already do this with ANZAC day).

When the merger first came together, it seems acceptable to say all parties thought we would form a super club. The money from the St George side and the players from the Illawarra side. It simply hasn't happened. St George money dried up. The players are there but we haven't really seen the benefit of the junior base in my opinion. Contract that with the Roosters and their junior base of zero. They can still fill junior teams as they go out and scout talent from elsewhere. So both of those factors have been significant let downs.

I can't see why a stand alone St George Dragons would not be viable. I acknowledge what has been said on the prior posts. Dragons have a huge following so could attract a decent crowd and good sponsorship.

Illawarra stand alone I am not sure if it is viable. However, Not having a team there doesn't mean that rugby league would shrivel up and die. they didn't have a team until the mid 80's I think (from memory).

I am in favour of both parties going their own respective ways. But that is only 1 part of the problem.