What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The De-Merge Thread

I like this. Makes sense as the JV never really wore the blood and bandages except for heritage rounds.

Would like to see them wear the black shorts, that looked awesome this year..

And given we’ll keep the current logo, I guess St George will have to use the old one.. And probably go back to being called the dragon slayers instead of the Dragons..

The traditional St George fans will love this move back to the NSW cup..

More local games..
No more trips down to Wollongong..
The same logo from the glory days..

It really does feel like a win for all parties concerned..

I’m ringing V’landys this afternoon.
Please do Muz

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Sounds like the silly season is upon us a little early this year! I supported St George since 63, and lived in Wollongong when the Steelers started up and went to all their home games until I moved away. Supported both teams so can live with the JV. St George has the proud history and the Steelers have the nursery. Just wish the BOD would guide us to consistent glory. GO THE DRAGONS!

Trifili13

Juniors
I think what will be interesting is if the NRL admits a 17th team. Firstly it doesn't create an extra game, all it does is that a team will have a bye each week. More importantly, they will have to find a squad of 30. The bottom teams already struggle for talent so where are they going to come from? Yes there might be some playing in the second tiers in QLD and NSW that will now get a game with the new team but this will further dilute the talent pool. I can then see an 18th team being added to get an extra game on tv which means more tv rights money. Or will an existing team drop out or merge?

The Bronco's basically had QLD all to themselves and as they were successful they were able to attract the best talent from that state. With new QLD teams added, players have greater choices and the previous attraction of the Bronco's is not as strong. Players from regional QLD cpuld play for the Cows or Gold Coast. I feel this is the reason the Bronco's are now struggling. Adding another team will further stuff them (happy about that anyway) but it will also impact the other lower teams in attracting players.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think what will be interesting is if the NRL admits a 17th team. Firstly it doesn't create an extra game, all it does is that a team will have a bye each week. More importantly, they will have to find a squad of 30. The bottom teams already struggle for talent so where are they going to come from? Yes there might be some playing in the second tiers in QLD and NSW that will now get a game with the new team but this will further dilute the talent pool. I can then see an 18th team being added to get an extra game on tv which means more tv rights money. Or will an existing team drop out or merge?

The Bronco's basically had QLD all to themselves and as they were successful they were able to attract the best talent from that state. With new QLD teams added, players have greater choices and the previous attraction of the Bronco's is not as strong. Players from regional QLD cpuld play for the Cows or Gold Coast. I feel this is the reason the Bronco's are now struggling. Adding another team will further stuff them (happy about that anyway) but it will also impact the other lower teams in attracting players.
I’ll give you the hot tip, there won’t be any new Sydney clubs..

Trifili13

Juniors
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or having a go, but I never said there would be. Only a fool would think that another Sydney team would ever get chosen.

Gareth67

First Grade
Merge , de - merge or whatever , I think that we may be very fortunate if there is a season 2022 . The way this stinking virus is seeping it’s way around the country the NRL may have no where to play it’s games next year Fingers cross that is not the case .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Merge , de - merge or whatever , I think that we may be very fortunate if there is a season 2022 . The way this stinking virus is seeping it’s way around the country the NRL may have no where to play it’s games next year Fingers cross that is not the case .
I’m pretty confident the vaccinations will start to take care of it pretty soon, that and probably facing the fact it’s here to stay.

thebigredv

First Grade

When Storm are about to notch up 20 in a row and we are on another lingering loss streak, might as well shut the thing down and put us out of our misery. I'm ready to take my bat and ball and go home.

Poles apart. Poles apart now. Poles apart for the last 22/23 years when both clubs came into existence. Hell, they probably would have had our premiership if the NRL kept giving them the green light to cheat.

Looking back now 1999 gf was the perfect metaphor for the next two decades. One masquerades as a decent team, lifts up the hopes of all concerned and then crashes in an almighty thud. With integrity or not, the other gets the job done.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
When Storm are about to notch up 20 in a row and we are on another lingering loss streak, might as well shut the thing down and put us out of our misery. I'm ready to take my bat and ball and go home.

Poles apart. Poles apart now. Poles apart for the last 22/23 years when both clubs came into existence. Hell, they probably would have had our premiership if the NRL kept giving them the green light to cheat.

Looking back now 1999 gf was the perfect metaphor for the next two decades. One masquerades as a decent team, lifts up the hopes of all concerned and then crashes in an almighty thud. With integrity or not, the other gets the job done.
The lockdown is hitting pretty hard huh?