What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dolphins brand, jersey, merch etc

MugaB

Coach
I am hoping we have a white or black away strip to be honest. Time will tell. Like most clubs now, we will have 2-3 jerseys per annum. :)
Black and white are so boring... gold is unique, the more it is used, the more it becomes your identity, like storm and purple or the away pink for panthers... and considering its the away jersey gold should be used more to distance away from being the QRL redcliffe and moreso the QLD dolphins

Tigers1986

Juniors
Munster coming to our club in 2024 under Wayne Bennett is "dipping his stock"?

I believe Munster remains the number on priority for the club and I am excited by the club's long term strategic approach to our junior development which will mirror that of the Panthers where the club I am told has copied the blueprint of the Panthers. With our catchment area as far reaching as Central QLD in parts, I am told seven of the 2022 QLD Maroons come from teams within our junior catchment areas. Peter O'Sullivan is arguably the best at what he does in spotting talent, so whilst we will require a lot of patience in our early years - especially the playing group - I don't see someone like Cameron Munster coming to a new club as "dipping his stock". I see it as an opportunity to further enhance his career and play a key role in the success at another club like Cooper Cronk did when leaving Bellamy for the Roosters. Brett Kimmorley's stock only rose when joining Melbourne in '98. I am not saying that we will have the instant success like Melbourne, though we will hit the ground running on and off the field.

I might be biased, but if I am an established NRL player who is in the top three to five players in the world, taking on the challenge with Wayne Bennett in turning the Dolphins in to a premiership contender is an attractive proposition.
Yes, in my mind, because he's going from a well-drilled system in Melbourne to the unchartered waters of Redcliffe. It's a huge risk if it backfires and Wayne can't generate what people are expecting. Yes, Redcliffe has a good junior base, but it took almost 10 years for the Penrith farm to reap its rewards that is has now. Will the fanbase have that patience in this day and age? Big factor imo. Also, Cronk left in his twilight, Munster is still mid-peak.

You do make some good points though. I do hope Dolphins have some success early on because it would be an attractive consideration for a Team 18 if on-field does well.

MugaB

Coach
Yes, in my mind, because he's going from a well-drilled system in Melbourne to the unchartered waters of Redcliffe. It's a huge risk if it backfires and Wayne can't generate what people are expecting. Yes, Redcliffe has a good junior base, but it took almost 10 years for the Penrith farm to reap its rewards that is has now. Will the fanbase have that patience in this day and age? Big factor imo. Also, Cronk left in his twilight, Munster is still mid-peak.

You do make some good points though. I do hope Dolphins have some success early on because it would be an attractive consideration for a Team 18 if on-field does well.
They should they are usual finalists in the QCup nearly every year.. im actually suprised the devils bested them this year...
Pathways were are only issue, the region for panthers has always had talent, as has the Macurthur region you guys have access to..
Only issue was algining it so that they would all flow into the grades, straight from central west to jersey flegg and so on

Last edited:

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
Black and white are so boring... gold is unique, the more it is used, the more it becomes your identity, like storm and purple or the away pink for panthers... and considering its the away jersey gold should be used more to distance away from being the QRL redcliffe and moreso the QLD dolphins
I am from the school where the away strip is generally white. More a nod to USA sports I guess. This said, I like the white training jersey we have, looks nice. As does the black. I am sure we will have many variations annually, and I don't think you can go far wrong with the colour palate we have. It is a nice contrast.

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
They should they are usual finalists in the QCup nearly every year.. im actually suprised the devils bested them this year...
Pathways were are only issue, the region for poanthers has always had talent, as has the Macurthur region you guys have access to..
Only issue was algining it so that they would all flow into the grades, straight from central west to jersey flegg and so on
The Norths Devils deserved that win. They were defensively brilliant. Too good. A well coached team. We had our chances, though we couldn't get across the line in that first 20 minutes which set the tone for the rest of the game.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Pathways were are only issue, the region for poanthers has always had talent, as has the Macurthur region you guys have access to..
Yup the rich tapestry of the Macarthur region could hopefully see the Tigers getting similar success in the future. We won the Harold Matts this season in dominant fashion, and were runners up in the Andrew Johns Cup. Our Jersey Flegg have been building strongly too (first place before the COVID isolation last year, 5th place this year).

Colk

First Grade
Yup the rich tapestry of the Macarthur region could hopefully see the Tigers getting similar success in the future. We won the Harold Matts this season in dominant fashion, and were runners up in the Andrew Johns Cup. Our Jersey Flegg have been building strongly too (first place before the COVID isolation last year, 5th place this year).

Hope so mate for your sake. Just let the Raiders win first ok

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
I quite like the 2023 jersey, and I have ordered it with one of most things available.

I am assured that a lot of due diligence went in to the jersey and ensuring a nod to the proud history of our club and a tip of the cap to the region. I am hoping we get an away strip that is either predominantly white or black. The 'Women in League' round (pink, sand/gold/cream and white) will look quite good too.

The job of a marketing team is a tough one, and it will not please all.

Worth a read for those who haven't read it before re: the thought process and due diligence about our logo, and colours.

The New Dolphin

Perth Red

Post Whore
I respectfully disagree, but to each their own. I like the contrast of red white and gold. A 49ers feel to it which is an historic kit in the USA.
Colours arent problem, design is.
Would have been much nicer if they’d gone full scarlet red, white chevrons and gold trim. That would have been classy. The big block off bottom gold is ugly and makes the gold colour look naff.

MugaB

Coach
Colours arent problem, design is.
Would have been much nicer if they’d gone full scarlet red, white chevrons and gold trim. That would have been classy. The big block off bottom gold is ugly and makes the gold colour look naff.
Really clutching at straws today PR... i get folks have different tastes.. but the block off the bottom... gold is their color now brother... and you guys don't and aren't even licenced yet so let it go brother... every expansion thread or expansion team can't be derailed towards your precious perth pirates.. but fk me, dont you love to try

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really clutching at straws today PR... i get folks have different tastes.. but the block off the bottom... gold is their color now brother... and you guys don't and aren't even licenced yet so let it go brother... every expansion thread or expansion team can't be derailed towards your precious perth pirates.. but fk me, dont you love to try
Interesting you would spin my comments to the Pirates when I've made no mention of them lol. Maybe sitting in your head much more than mine?
Our colours should be red, gold black if Pirates get in so got nothing to do with how ugly the Dolphins have made their first jersey lol

Would have been much nicer if scarlet red with white chevrons and gold trim. Thats an iconic jumper that could be used for years to come with minor mods each season. I'll give that design a year until it changes again.

Not rocket science!

dolphins.jpg

Last edited:

xe_kilroy

Juniors
The Dolphins remind me of when Port Adelaide joined the AFL comp. They set up a new entity separate from the Magpies who were granted an AFL license. Collingwood forced Port to have a new nickname (Power) and new colors (teal), and no black-white stripes. They entered as Port Power, with a horrible jersey and trying to more embrace the broader Adelaide fans as a second Adelaide team. After a number of years of backlash and own confused identity, they realized it was a mistake. They eventually took to re-uniting the Magpies and Power as a joint entity, they changed their name to Port Adelaide FC, changed the logo to have black-white stripes, tried to push to have a right to wear the historic black-white stripe jersey more often, and after a decade eventually the broader Adelaide fans adopted PAFC as a second team for all of Adelaide anyway.

Similarly, St George pushed to ensure the Dolphins didn't wear a red V, or even red with a white V (as that's St George's alternate strip), which caused a new color to be added (gold), they dropped Redcliffe in favor of a broader "The", they created a new NRL entity separate from the Redcliffe entity, and they came out with a horrible jersey.

It's only a matter of time before The Dolphins realize all the same things that PAFC did, and take steps to embrace a more defined identity, their own. In time the broader Brisbane fans will embrace the NRL "Redcliffe Dolphins" anyway as a second team for all of Brisbane, wearing their iconic heritage jersey as their default home uniform.

I hope it happens sooner than later anyway. As a Redcliffe Dolphins supporter too, it will be annoying seeing them not be themselves for however long that period of time takes.

MugaB

Coach
Interesting you would spin my comments to the Pirates when I've made no mention of them lol. Maybe sitting in your head much more than mine?
Our colours should be red, gold black if Pirates get in so got nothing to do with how ugly the Dolphins have made their first jersey lol

Would have been much nicer if scarlet red with white chevrons and gold trim. Thats an iconic jumper that could be used for years to come with minor mods each season. I'll give that design a year until it changes again.

Not rocket science!

View attachment 67081
That jersey is as boring as batshit, ive seen titans wear the same design, in their cyan and gold V, and tigers with their black and white garbage, with the trim of orange.. it screams RU and boring... prefer what theyve got currently, if anything the current home jersey looks like the broncos wore some decades ago, but with a slight V
images.jpeg-127.jpgScreenshot_20221003-205205_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I've seen a lot of very good jersey ideas.
And they're all really nice. Nicer than the announced Home jersey.
But I think chevrons are way overdone in RL.
The very best Redcliffe/Dolphins jersey is the iconic one below.
That jersey always says "Redcliffe/Dolphins" to me.
So, the official Heritage is the next best thing.

1664980571186.png

1664980210171.png

MugaB

Coach

View attachment 67096

View attachment 67095
Just missing the numbers on the front.. tehe

Colk

First Grade

View attachment 67096

View attachment 67095

I think their heritage will be used quite often. That’s a nice jersey