What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Downward Spiral

redbreed

Juniors
Man if I was getting paid the coin some of these players are getting I would not have any problem living in the gong in a nice house by the sea. Its not like you have to spend the rest of your life living there. Thousands of people fly and drive to the mine's to get similar money that a low too middle profile player gets in the nrl. And don't have the luxury of coming home to there families every night. Some players just need to take a teaspoon of cement and harden the f##k up.

Saintsified

Bench
400k per year living in Bondi or 400k per year living in Wollongong at 23 years of age? Hmmmm common get real.

redbreed

Juniors
400k per year living in Bondi or 400k per year living in Wollongong at 23 years of age? Hmmmm common get real.

True but there is 16 teams not just 1. There is a stack of country boys and players with young families that would probably prefer to live in a regional area then the shit hole called Sydney.

tumbidragon

First Grade
If players won't travel to train then they are piss weak wankers who don't deserve to play for the Dragons.

They get paid good money and if thats part of the deal then you accept it alot of players live in other areas and travel to train at other clubs.

This not wanting to live in Wollongong another misconception its all about Doust and Young and the way they deal with player managers and the coach being new to the scene as an unknown.
:clap::clap:

redbreed

Juniors
Maybe but clearly Jennings, Cronk, Folau, Pearce dont.

Jennings manager block that. Cronk was never leaving, and did we every really approach the other's, it was all rumours.

You might be right. But I've never heard players leave the Dragons because they hate living or training at Wollongong. If they where going to move back to Sydney we would be going backwards in training facilities without spending shit loads of money we don't apparently have on new ones.

Saintsified

Bench
All I am saying is I really do believe if we based ourselves out of Kogarah it would be more attractive...evrrytime I read an article or something we are now considered a wollongong club. f**k that.

redbreed

Juniors
All I am saying is I really do believe if we based ourselves out of Kogarah it would be more attractive...evrrytime I read an article or something we are now considered a wollongong club. f**k that.

Fair enough mate. I see your angle its just a shame we had to pile money into two ground refurbishments. The doggies where smarter in that sense they've set up great facilities and play out of a ground that was built by the government for the Olympics

No idea about how the facilities are at Kograh but the Dragons use the UOW facilities alot and they are state of the art for training purposes so why go away from your strengths based on an assumption.

Players live all over the place Wollongong, the Shire, Sydney they all travel they all accept it and they deal with it.

This is just my opinion but I believe its a $$$ factor at the Dragons they don't pay overs and over the years have had strong squads where players just didn't see an avenue to get to first grade with no second grade team.

Its different now a slightly weaker squad with a inexperienced coach but a C.E.O who isn't willing to pay top dollar will always be the bigger issue.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
I think the gong excuse is rubbish, it's half an hour to the uni from the shire... I lived in the gong at that age and loved it! Okay some wont but then again some wont wanna live in Sydney either... I can't see what player we missed that would have been a benefit to us, maybe cronk but he will never leave Bellamy and IMHO the reason we went after Bellamy was to get cronk..

Doust has made it clear we will be chasing a marquee signing or two for 2014... My money is on he delivers, and watch this space for someone to jump ship and we pick them up this season as well!

Twenty10

Juniors
I think the gong excuse is rubbish, it's half an hour to the uni from the shire... I lived in the gong at that age and loved it! Okay some wont but then again some wont wanna live in Sydney either... I can't see what player we missed that would have been a benefit to us, maybe cronk but he will never leave Bellamy and IMHO the reason we went after Bellamy was to get cronk..

Doust has made it clear we will be chasing a marquee signing or two for 2014... My money is on he delivers, and watch this space for someone to jump ship and we pick them up this season as well!

I have no doubt they will chase players, but who? Who's off contract we can realistically get?
Mateo would be great signing. I don't think any top half back will be on radar... Maybe a 5/8. Definitely need a class centre and a world class prop IMO.

I believe Soward will be leaving next year and I have heard rumours weyman is close to giving the game away.

So I would say 5/8, centre, prop. If that's the case who are the names?

Carney? Falou? I dunno

Country Dragon

Juniors
I have no doubt they will chase players, but who? Who's off contract we can realistically get?
Mateo would be great signing. I don't think any top half back will be on radar... Maybe a 5/8. Definitely need a class centre and a world class prop IMO.

I believe Soward will be leaving next year and I have heard rumours weyman is close to giving the game away.

So I would say 5/8, centre, prop. If that's the case who are the names?

Carney? Falou? I dunno

Mateo would not be money well spent IMO

Hoekstra

Juniors
Price was handed an ageing squad that already had issues putting points on the board. I think he missed a bit of an opportunity though to just do a Brian Smith and just hit the youth road.

I think we need to take a close look at our recruitment and development structures in the long term. Short term, I'm hoping the Drinkwater kid gets a run and that Beale, King and Soward have a great year. As this is where the points are probably going to come from, if they flow.

Big man

Juniors
Seriously what are some of you bellowing about, your team has had quite a few good years and are going through a rebuilding phase after her Majesty Bennett's tenure. Your current team is not that bad, you have some experienced players with some youth and maybe two or three good players short of a top 4 side, I reckon stayed tuned for an announcement on a new coach and fortunes will turn around big time. And for the record I'm a Souths supporter and couldn't give a rat arse above St merge but it's the beginning of the footy season and everyone should feel pumped regardless of where you think your team will finish. For F?@k sake at least you have a team to follow.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Price was handed an ageing squad that already had issues putting points on the board. I think he missed a bit of an opportunity though to just do a Brian Smith and just hit the youth road.

I think we need to take a close look at our recruitment and development structures in the long term. Short term, I'm hoping the Drinkwater kid gets a run and that Beale, King and Soward have a great year. As this is where the points are probably going to come from, if they flow.

Your first paragraph is spot on.

The fact he hasn't taken that path, rather than his results & approach to the team are what gets him a massive F from me.

big pat

Coach
Seriously what are some of you bellowing about, your team has had quite a few good years and are going through a rebuilding phase after her Majesty Bennett's tenure. Your current team is not that bad, you have some experienced players with some youth and maybe two or three good players short of a top 4 side, I reckon stayed tuned for an announcement on a new coach and fortunes will turn around big time. And for the record I'm a Souths supporter and couldn't give a rat arse above St merge but it's the beginning of the footy season and everyone should feel pumped regardless of where you think your team will finish. For F?@k sake at least you have a team to follow.

haha, one of the homebush homeless, trying to tell us about our team, you should be more worried souffs and a 42 year drought.

Latest posts