What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ESL

juneauquan

Juniors
400,000 viewers? What the population of the UK and France combined? :)

Considering Rugby League is only considered strong in northern England i would say getting 400,000 on Sky would be really good.

And by the way those numbers were only for England and not France

juneauquan

Juniors
Ive been laughing the whole time, but this bit where you now mistake my joke for a bona fide linked website is priceless. :lol: I deadset just fell off my chair.

But dont worry. Despite all the available evidence i wont be resorting to calling you a moron.

:D funny stuff !

I wanted to see if you would fall for that ... and you did, hook, line and sinker :lol:

So it seems I can understand you are joking but you have no idea I am joking.

Maybe you need to visit getasenseofhumour.com.au and get a clue

I wanted to see if you would fall for that ... and you did, hook, line and sinker :lol:

So it seems I can understand you are joking but you have no idea I am joking.

Maybe you need to visit getasenseofhumour.com.au and get a clue

Oh your so devilishly clever just like Dr Evil. Oh stop it :lol:

juneauquan

Juniors
If only we could get the bloody moron Ryan on the same page :p

Better watch that blood pressure :p

Don't forget, calling someone a moron may lead to a one way trip to the morgue.

Besides Ryan has serious anti-England issues he has to deal with. I think maybe his English boyfriend recently dumped him.

juneauquan

Juniors
What facilitates a two way ticket ?

Instead of calling someone a 'moron' try calling 'em a 'jackass'. Sure it isn't as big an insult as calling someone a 'moron', but it's much better for the heart and wouldn't lead to catastrophic heart failure ... just a mild heart attack and you would still be alive to call Ryan a 'jackass' in the future.

mark123

Juniors
I know this has been discussed to death, but with Kimmorley / Ross all of a sudden being approached by "scouts" from the UK, it just firms up with me what a backwater, useless, pathetic competition they run over there. It also re-instates why they will always be an International Rugby League whimp.

Seriously, instead of spending heaps of $$$ flying to Australia, and pilferring all our decent players like a scab that won't tear from the skin, how about investing in some British youth, and developing THEM to improve their countries League talent?

They are so intent in garnishing any Australian player pool offal, they forget to manage their own backyards. With the Aust. dollar on the improve, I would love one day for it not to be viable for our players to retire over there.

Their piss weak competition would then crumble, as the flow of Australian talent has sustained their pitiful existence for the past decade. The reason for this? They spend more bludging from us, than they do developing their own children, and for that, and I repeat, it is probably the most embarrassing competition in the world over there.:crazy:

I understand you must be angry at the ESL.

But just look at how much the game has grown in the U.K.

The best comps in the world with the richest teams attract the best players.

Its a fact of life, and you must get over it.

Recently an esl team i am told with just a couple of aussie players did exceptionally well.

You might take note of also that its an english tradition to pillage the worlds competitions for their own....look at the Premier League. Most teams are heaped with foreign players and sometimes a side won't even play a u.k-born player.

I agree with your point about their international side being hopeless...its something English sport in general needs to address.

The big move in England now is to make sure that english born players don't miss out too...and to that end the RFL have introduced a limiting of the foreign players in a side in SL.

So there you go. Relax.

You sound like you think the world sits around dreaming up ways to make you miserable - it doesn't - thats just you.

Ryan

Juniors
Better watch that blood pressure :p

Don't forget, calling someone a moron may lead to a one way trip to the morgue.

Besides Ryan has serious anti-England issues he has to deal with. I think maybe his English boyfriend recently dumped him.

Yeah - he said my ring was way too tight, and that your gaping whole was a perfect fit. I had no chance really.:D

Ryan

Juniors
I understand you must be angry at the ESL.

But just look at how much the game has grown in the U.K.

The best comps in the world with the richest teams attract the best players.

Its a fact of life, and you must get over it.

Recently an esl team i am told with just a couple of aussie players did exceptionally well.

You might take note of also that its an english tradition to pillage the worlds competitions for their own....look at the Premier League. Most teams are heaped with foreign players and sometimes a side won't even play a u.k-born player.

I agree with your point about their international side being hopeless...its something English sport in general needs to address.

The big move in England now is to make sure that english born players don't miss out too...and to that end the RFL have introduced a limiting of the foreign players in a side in SL.

So there you go. Relax.

You sound like you think the world sits around dreaming up ways to make you miserable - it doesn't - thats just you.

The game has grown in the UK alright. It's grown into an Australia Premier League competition.:lol:

Ryan

Juniors
Instead of calling someone a 'moron' try calling 'em a 'jackass'. Sure it isn't as big an insult as calling someone a 'moron', but it's much better for the heart and wouldn't lead to catastrophic heart failure ... just a mild heart attack and you would still be alive to call Ryan a 'jackass' in the future.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm, no, I much prefer to be called a moron :cool:

In-goal

Bench
I can't believe how insular some of the thinking is here, the Super League is Rugby League why is it so wrong for players to take up contracts with other proffesional clubs?

Would you preffer these players going to play RU?

The growth of the Super League and the ever growing standard of play are two reasons that some of the best talent are moving over to England and France. Atmosphere in British stadiums leaves a half filled SFS and Parramatta for dead.

Players have a short career let them make the most of their lives.

RL is just that Rugby League.

Australian money, Australian clubs & Australian Rugby League has developed and produced the talent. I have no problems with the players playing for whoever they want in its own system.

no that wasnt your arguement.

if you are talking about scabs, cronulla are no better than the SL clubs.

roughyedspud

Coach
Seriously, instead of spending heaps of $$$ flying to Australia, and pilferring all our decent players like a scab that won't tear from the skin, how about investing in some British youth, and developing THEM to improve their countries League talent?
FYI dumba$$

this year we've seen around a 30% increase in academy (nyc to you) players being promoted to senior super league squads....so we are investing in our kids..

what you'll see and are already,is ESL clubs targeting only the very best aussies & kiwis,instead of having 5 or 6 average imports we'll spend the money on 2 or 3 real quality stars,we can produce our own average players thank you very much....lol

hull KR had a bit of a clear out from last season and brought in clint newton & jake webster..same with warrington they cleared the way for monas, king & hick

we are replacing quantity with quality.....which i'm not bothered about one bit...

c_eagle

Juniors
I hope franchising will decrease the amount of Aussies that go to the ESL. Clubs in and around the relegation zone, particularly the newly promoted clubs, have pressures to succeed instantly and therefore sign NRL players to give them instant 'success'. Now that all clubs will be safe, they can concentrate on local talent.

Ryan

Juniors
only someone who admits to being a cronulla fan in public could be so dumb about RL.

Cronulla - LoL - not likely mate.
Manly, and Manly only - and yes, I'm peeved about Monaghan / Hicks playing for Warrington.

Whilst I don't support The Sharks (I made the comment without bias), I think it wrong that say a Huddersfield talent scout sits at Toyota Park instead of looking for home grown talent to develop. It's not good for our game here (as it draws on the talent pool our Nation produces), it's not good for The UK, as it ties resources up (money, personell and time wise to develop their own). The UK should do everything in its power to act with a view that they may once again be competative in the International arena.

I get thoroughly fed up each year when I hear XYZ is going over to the ESL. It's Puletua now for goodness sakes. I hear they are after Finch & Dobson. They are looking at Ross & Kimmorley.
This is in 24 hours.

I mean - someone from Salford in 06/07 actually flew over, to take a look at Kite to see if they could lure him overseas. This was mid contract ! Maybe he could get a release if they offered him enough dough? Joke !

I honestly can't see why anyone would think the talent going over there to chase the bucks is good for the game as a whole. From both sides. I know as a Manly fan, I have an affinity with my players. I hate seeing them leave - and yeah, I know it's all about business. But that business would be nothing without us, the fans.

To that end, it's why players like Steve Menzies will always go down as one of the best players to have ever played the game throughout history. Others will be Lockyer / Hindmarsh (most teams have one or two) - absolute clubmen that do it for pride, the club and the fans.

The funny thing is as well, is these players will be looked after by their community post football. Example - Sea Eagles Home Loans with Steve Menzies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The worlds a big place Ryan and not everyone is happy spending their entire career in a Sydney suburb. Build a bridge and get over it, it is only going to get worse in terms of "star" players leaving these shores. All the more reason why we need new player markets like WA and Wellington.

juneauquan

Juniors
I think Ryan is onto something here. Australians should only ever play in Australia. New Zealanders should only play in NZ. Damn Australian clubs pilfering NZ for talent. Can't Australian clubs produce their own talent. Scumbags!!

But I think Ryan is also being very short sighted. Why stop at the national level? Take the state level for example.

Why the hell are there Queenslanders playing for NSW or Victorian clubs? Can't these pilfering NSW/Victorian clubs produce their own talent. Scumbags!! You should only ever play for the state you were born/grew up in.

But why stop there. What about the district level?

Penrith juniors should only ever play for Penrith
Parramatta juniors should only ever play for Parramatta
Roosters juniors should only ever play for ...

But why stop at the sporting level.

You should only ever work and live in the country you were born/grew up in.

Send all the Mediterranean Descendants/asians/sudanese back to where they came from!!!

END IMMIGRATION NOW!

WE WANT PAULINE HANSON!!

:eek: