What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The First Sign of Progress at Souths - The Dawn of a New Age

nqboy

First Grade
Junior partners make Souths safe
By Steve Mascord
September 14, 2004

After years of uneasy truce, South Sydney seniors and juniors last night formed a joint venture that Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson described as "one of the great coups of my life".

The wealthy Kingsford juniors club will take over the running of Souths' premier league and Jersey Flegg teams as part of the deal ratified at its annual general meeting. It means the senior club will be spared the cost of fielding lower-grade teams, while the juniors will have more influence than ever before.

"This historic joint venture means the juniors are going to be heavily involved in the club and will ensure the survival of South Sydney," Richardson said. "I couldn't be happier."

Souths Juniors' annual contribution to the senior club has been estimated at $500,000 but that arrangement was due to expire at the end of the year and has become much more valuable.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A few months after he took charge, Richo's done what Souths have been unable to do for decades, harness the power and support of Souths Juniors and make them feel part of the club. Kudos Richo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
every decision made by the South Sydney club since they were reinstated in the comp was regarded as a "a sign of progress" and yet they still picked up the spoon yet again.

Don't get me wrong I would dearly love to see a successful team to rival the strong hold the Roosters have in the inner city, but it's hard not to feel cynical about every decision that board makes.

Also souths Juniors have screwed them in the past, whats to say they won't do it again?

hadey

Juniors
Souths juniors were seen by the previous management of SSDRLFC as a cashcow.
I wouldnt say that the juniors screwed them... more like some people in the Seniors tried to screw the juniors.
This is wonderful news for SSDRLFC.
Financially it puts Souths in a great position. They are not going to be hit by the new pokies tax like a lot of the clubs either as they have had no help from the senior leagues club for years.
Congrats to Richo,Nick Pappas and the juniors.

South Sydney with Richo and Nick at the helm have a great future.

QldRabbit

Juniors
Richo is at the helm now, previous big promises were from half wits. Richo is the real deal so we should see some rapid progress.

JK

Damn - I was hoping Richo would make them a mega club on the central coast :(

macavity

Referee
So do the bears, tigers, magpies, dragons, jets, dogs........

But if the events of the past 10 years have taught us anything, it is that nothing is forever.....

thomo

Juniors
From www.souths.com.au:

Rabbitohs to Forge Partnership With South Sydney Juniors
By Jeremy Monahan

An announcement has been made today that the Allight Rabbitohs will form a partnership with the South Sydney Juniors, seeing the South Sydney Juniors taking control of the Premier League and Jersey Flegg sides for 2005.

The joint venture was tabled last night at the South Sydney Juniors’ Annual General Meeting with a positive response from the members allowing the venture to go ahead.

South Sydney CEO Shane Richardson is delighted that the negotiations have come to fruition.

“This partnership will assist the long term survival of the Rabbitohs in South Sydney,” Mr Richardson said.

“Both parties will be integral parts of the development of players in the South Sydney district.

“The Juniors will be buying into an historic partnership which supports the Rabbitohs. The Rabbitohs will have access to the vast knowledge, talent scouting, recruitment, membership and administration that the South Sydney Juniors provides.

“There are some details to be finalised however we are confident that these factors will be ironed out in the spirit of the agreement.

“This is an important step forward in the evolution of the Club.”

South Sydney Chairman Nicholas Pappas says this is an historic moment for the South Sydney Club.

“This partnership realises something the Board has wanted to do for some time and it will cement a true partnership between the senior and junior ranks in the South Sydney district,” Mr Pappas commented today.

“This represents integration between all levels of the football playing ranks, from the youngest players through to the NRL.

“It provides a seamless pathway for rising football talent in the district, without ever having to contemplate leaving South Sydney.

“I applaud the Board of the Junior League for sharing our vision and see it as a watershed day for our Club.”

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
This is amazing, I hope they are the new top team in the years to come. It's been happening over the years.

2001-02: Warriors
2003: Penrith
2004: North Queensland
2005: ?

Briza

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
This is amazing, I hope they are the new top team in the years to come. It's been happening over the years.

2005: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

mightybears

Bench
good first step richo

but it will be a 'false dawn' if the piggins faction doesn't get out of the way soon

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Briza said:
PARRA_FAN said:

2005: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

I'd like to think that, but they'll still have the same crap even with Kite and Kennedy signed next year.

Maybe the Wests Tigers will be.

ash the bash

Juniors
Congrats to Shane and Co...
What he has done in about 3 or so months, souths could not do in about a decade,
So a membership with the juniors is supporting souths!!!!(Great news)
Were on the way back......

OVP

Coach
Apparently theyve signed a high profile Rooster that will be announced AFTER the Grand Final. Could it be Freddy ? Could it be Ricko ? The money is on Todd Byrne since he's free to negotiate with other clubs ... but who knows ...

YiddoTiger

Juniors
i wish i had a dollar for every time i have heard `souths are on the rise' rubbish from them since they got back in ... they should give them the spoon like they gave brazil the original world cup trophy ... shannon hegarty and ned catic .. that'll get em into the finals ... newtown have got more chance of making the 8 next yr than souths