What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Fish.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors' talented fullback-in-waiting is biding his time, writes Steve Deane.
Glen Fisiiahi is readying himself to run out on to Mt Smart Stadium. When he does so, it won't be to the roar of a Warriors game-day crowd. The only roaring comes from the rain lashing down on to the empty grandstands on a sodden Wednesday evening. No, Fisiiahi won't be applauded. He won't, in fact, even be among the Warriors as they trot out of the tunnel.
Instead he will line up with his Vulcans teammatesas cannon fodder as the Warriors team for tomorrow's match against the Titans go through their paces in an opposed session. Such is the fate of players who exist outside of the club's top 17 who have outgrown the U20s Toyota Cup squad.
The Vulcans operate mainly out of sight. After an astonishing six-try effort against Western Suburbs at Campbelltown last Saturday, however, Fisiiahi is far from out of mind.
"That was a phenomenal effort," coach Brian McClennan said. "Fish is a talent."

The sort of talent, McClennan didn't add, that would be playing first grade at the majority of NRL clubs. Still the club's most exciting prospect, the 21-year-old's NRL career stands at four games. The first of those was an error-prone debut on the wing against the Eels at Eden Park in last year's season-opener; the next a match-winning effort at fullback against the Sharks in Taupo; the third a thrilling cameo against the Roosters that ended prematurely when the flying Fisiiahi was caught in a brutal gang tackle on a kick return.
The resulting knee injury put him out for 10 weeks and opened the door for Kevin Locke to claim the fullback's jersey. Fisiiahi's attempts to break back into the top team have been limited to a second unsuccessful outing on the wing against the Cowboys in Townsville in round 15 last year.
Incredibly fast but also a touch fragile, Fisiiahi simply isn't cut out for the rough and tumble that comes with playing wing. He doesn't like the position and McClennan doesn't really see him playing there. His most likely path to first grade, then, is through Locke who isn't about to simply stand aside.
"I've just got to keep performing consistently and hopefully my time will come and hopefully I will be ready for it," Fisiiahi shrugs.
Having signed a four-year deal last year he is one of the club's longest-contracted players. He would be highly sought after, but he insists he has no plans to try to exit the Auckland club.
"Not really. I enjoy it here.
"It was frustrating at the time when I was getting dropped. I had to play the whole year with the Vulcans and that didn't sit well with me. But hopefully I'll get back up there this year."
To help cope with the game's physical demands he has gained an extra 3kg of muscle. A side effect of that extra muscle mass, he says, is that he is now "much quicker" than last season.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10793862

Rich102

Staff member
Looks like we won't be seeing the fish on the wing.
Faster than last year? Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

hitman82

Bench
Good to hear The Fish himself doesn't like the wing position - should shut up a few people who insist on selecting him there every week!

Fast Eddie

First Grade
So we play him at fullback in the Vulcans indefinitely? He doesn't like it, but a lot of the wingers in the comp would rather play fullback, doesn't mean he couldn't make a good tranisistion. The way I say it at the moment, he better learn to like the wing, if he wants a good crack in FG anytime soon or even over the next few years.

hitman82

Bench
So we play him at fullback in the Vulcans indefinitely? He doesn't like it, but a lot of the wingers in the comp would rather play fullback, doesn't mean he couldn't make a good tranisistion. The way I say it at the moment, he better learn to like the wing, if he wants a good crack in FG anytime soon or even over the next few years.

Locke will get injured sooner or later. And when he does the Fish will have to WOW the coaches to steal the position.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
And that leaves Locke where? I really don't see the harm in playing Fish on the wing in the Vulcans for a few games, best result is he thrives and we can bring him on the wing for FG. If not he just moves back to FB for the Vulcans. Look at Lillyman and Matulino, both hated prop when they got switched there.

1MTDaz

Juniors

Exactly. How long did Locke have to play on the wing for before he got the opportunity to play fb... But if Bluey aint willing to give him a crack on the wing I guess it doesnt matter what he says.

hitman82

Bench
Exactly. How long did Locke have to play on the wing for before he got the opportunity to play fb... But if Bluey aint willing to give him a crack on the wing I guess it doesnt matter what he says.

Well yeah, regardless Fish sounds happy to chill and wait for his fullback opportunity.

I can kind of see where he's coming from; if Fish converts to being a winger, and his Vulcans FB replacement shines - who's to say they won't replace an injured Locke ahead of him?

Fish may as well stick with his favoured position and cross his fingers.

When it eventually happens, perhaps Locke will end up in the halves or playing FB for the Vulcans. Or maybe Locke will return to being a firstgrade winger?

One thing people seem to forget:

-Locke's form on the wing was largely pretty average, with the odd touch of brilliance. Sure.

-Everyone likes to say it was Cleary holding the guy back by not letting him play his natural position in first grade, ahead of the much-maligned Hohaia.

-However, in reality, in the games immediately leading up to Locke's first grade fullback breakout, he'd been in AMAZING form on the wing.

-Everyone was all Rah Rah Cleary should have picked him a year ago at fullback. What a load of shit - the guy had simply finally hit form in general and was carving on the wing. He then transferred this to the fullback role when given a chance.
Prior to that, Locke was a damn average winger and likely would have been a damn average fullback, and either way he didn't deserve the chance until he was eventually given it.

-There's no reason Locke couldn't become a fantastic outside back if Fish manages to steal his fullback spot. Or as Bluey has hinted, he may even become a half.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm pretty sure thats not how it went at all. Lockes first season on the wing was 09 right? He had a good season on the wing, was pretty much one of the only decent things to come out of that season. Had a poor season in 2010, the whole second year syndrome thing got brought out. Then last year when he got moved to fullback, for the few games before that he was barely in the side, I think he had a couple of games coming off the bench even so he wasn't AMAZING ont he wing at all and was close to being dropped, then he got lucky and Fish who was carving up got injured.

hitman82

Bench
nah dude, in the games leading up to his fullback chance, Locke was definitely in great form. I do agree that in 09 he was good on the wing, but in 2010 was pretty much rubbish. At that particular time, Lance (and Ropati for a few games) was covering fullback well anyway.

My overall point was really that Locke has proven he CAN play well on the wing (re outside backs in general) whereas the Fish has done the opposite. If we were to play one as a winger, it should be Locke... this is assuming Fish got a chance via injury and actually was good at fullback, and managed to not get broken.

Izz

Bench
Fish got injured. Howhigh went to fullback. Locke stayed in Vulcans for next round before coming back onto the wing in Round 7 v Melbourne. Carved up. Started next week against Penrith on the wing, too. Carved up again. Round 9 got to start at fullback. Carved up for the rest of the season.

hitman82

Bench
Fish got injured. Howhigh went to fullback. Locke stayed in Vulcans for next round before coming back onto the wing in Round 7 v Melbourne. Carved up. Started next week against Penrith on the wing, too. Carved up again. Round 9 got to start at fullback. Carved up for the rest of the season.

There we go - cheers man. Better memory than me, though I got the general idea right.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yeah that sounds right actually, I just remembered him being on the bench for a game or two earlier in the season after getting dropped for Tupou.

Haha and I had forgotten about Ropati having that game at fullback and killing it.

shinobi

Juniors
hate to say it but Fish needs to move on i want to see him in first grade but not at the expense of Locke. Go to the Tigers Fish they need a good fullback!

vvvrulz

Coach
I think the best home for Fish is in the wing with Locke at the back.
That means either Topou or Manu miss out or move to centres.

This is the only feasible combination imo, otherwise he is better off in another club.

Fish and Hurrell are in the Warriors long term plans, Fish is staying right here and he said himself he is happy to stay in Auckland despite not getting a crack yet this year. It freaks me out that he said he is faster than ever, i thought he was fast when I first laid eyes on him but to state that he is even faster now and bulked up! Possibly will be a freak of nature if he gets the No.1 Jumper off Locke. I can see lock being a No.6 very soon he has the skillset

vvvrulz

Coach
I said Sharky Brown earlier, but if they were really adventurous they might be tempted to give Alehana Mara a shot at #7 and move Johnson to #6. I recall seeing somewhere that Mara was traditionally a #7 and I thought he made a pretty good impression at first grade (albeit at #9).

I just don't see Locke at 6 at all.