What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianSteve

I read the expression, he could turn the light off andget into bed before it gets dark, about 20 years ago, in an article about a Negro League baseball player named Cool Papa Bell, who played in the 1930s and 40s. Black Americans played in their own baseball leagues in the days when they weren't allowed to play in the major leagues. Because relatively few people saw them play, their exploits (and great nicknames) were spread mostly by word of mouth.

I'm not sure if this was the first time this expression was used (it was by one of Bell's contemporaries), but it was a long time ago. BTW, I don't remember everything I ever read, but this particular saying stuck with me.

Sorry to interrupt the Footy Quiz. Carry on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
midas:
...by order of the LWOS nonsense rules, we'll give ya another day.
Following this, a new hot question will be asked.
Still wanna know the answer though.

LOL, I don'trecall that quote from Gibbo but my guess would have to be Guru,he was always a concern, has anyone else been injured and replaced whilerunning onto the field to start the game:(

Happy New Year to all at LWOS
embeer.gif

Cheers Willow, hope you and yours enjoyed the best of the festive season up there in God's country. All the best to you mate
embeer.gif

Have only dropped in for a day for some early prep workand won't really be back on deck for a few weeks yet somidas better gethis butt in gear and give us an early answer on this one as I'm rather curious.

imported_midas

Juniors
Sorry for ther delay,guys.My monitor went to God,just picked up a newie today.
Rasputin is spot on-it was Guru Grothe.Happy New Year everyone.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Same to you midas. :)
Hope you're still there Rasputin... Come on down Mad Monk.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'll swap with Rasputin later but according to his last few posts it'll be a while.

Question:

Name the largest crowd to a Rugby League match, the venue and the teams...

O

ozbash

102569 at odsal stadium pomgolia
warrington v halifax 1954

now i also recall a sellout SOO at the MCG a few years back...:(

the top 3 that i can remember

102,569 at Odsal stadium

104,583 at the Double Header at Stadium Australia in 1999

but first place goes to

107,999 Saints v Melbourne at Stadium Oz in 1999

I think! Those are off the top of my head

Cheers,
Moffo

1999 NRL Grand Final at Stadium Australia, which attracted 107,558 fans for the game between Melbourne Storm and the StGeorge-Illawarra Dragons.
Melbourne Storm - 20
StGeorge-Illawarra gragons - 18

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo was close but Reservoir Dog was spot on with 107,558 in 1999.
Although he should get a demerit point for remembering the scoreline. ;)

Over to you Res Dog :)

Thanks Willow.
Actually mate, I'd like to pass it on to Moff. He got in before I did. He may have got the crowd figure wrong, but the venue and teams he nailed. A good effort taking into consideration he was going off memory. Plus I had to research it. I didn't even think of that game at the time. I wouldn't have known if I didn't research it. Plus I'm a gentleman :Dand he is a fellow Bulldog man.
Over to you Moffo :)

Cheers mate, honoured to take the question off a fellow bulldogs fan

I could've swore that ive read the crowd figure at 107,999 on several websites, but im happy to go with the 107,558

Hmmmm, now for a question!

How many clubs have participated in the premier rugby league competition in Australia? (Be it NSWRL, ARL, SL or NRL). And list them

Cheers,
Moffo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts