What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, I should ask who played outside centre for the Philisitnes but I'll spare you that Willow ;)

A quick one for you Willow, what was the infamous set play, now banned, used by the Eels in the 76 GF with Manly.

An extra point if you can name the numbnutt who dropped the ball in the corner that cost the Eels victory in that game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Rasputin:
I think... that isI remember they called it the 'wedge' move.... or 'flying wedge'.

It basically meant that the ball carrier, the hooker or another front rower by rights, would have a scrum formbehindhim, rugby union style. He would be carried forward by the whole pack towards an inevitableand unavoidable collision and hopefully, the tryline. I think caochFearnley used it and I think Gibson may have tried it as well for a little bit. Its banned now as you say.

Now, I understand that it required a certain amount foolhardiness. In the 1976 Grand Final, and the joker who carried the ball in this mess was Ron Hilditch. Hard to imaginebut he actually volunteered to do this. In the spirit of Yes Minister, I have to call this a 'courageous' decison

Hilditch is no doubt aman of good tastes and refinement now but back then, he must have had rocks in his head. ;)

Can't recall what happened after that except that it didnt work. I think Eadie got in there and stopped the ball being grounded. I can only assume that the 'numbnutt who dropped the ball in the corner' had to be Ron Hilditch because I doubt very much if he would have had the opportunity to pass it.

Yes, well, err, "flying wedge" it isWillow.:)

However you have missed the conversion. Tread is correct with the it being Neville Glover who dropped the ball in Neville's Corner.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought the Neville Glover answer gave it to Tigertread.
I have to say that I'm a little curious though... what happened? Glover must have dropped the ball in the next play because the warhead at the front of push must have been holding onto the ball for dear life.

Be greatto know more...

and ok... if its it permitted, I'll ask another....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Name the player who served a six week suspension following the first State of Origin in 1991.

thought the Neville Glover answer gave it to Tigertread
No, that was only for additional points, "flying wedge" was what I asked for. Besides, Tread can answer any question anyway,he's a bloody walking encyclopedia.

I have to say that I'm a little curious though... what happened?
LOL, they were two totally unrelated instances Willow. Moran broke through and was in the clear about 10 metres out from the line andthought he was doing the right thing to make certain of the try by passing to Glover who didn't have any opposition anywhere near himbut Nifty poor just dropped it cold. Was about 5 mins to go and would have won the game
emcry.gif

because the warhead at the front of push must have been holding onto the ball for dear life.
LOL, it wasn't the ball he was worried about mate, try it yourself sometime
emdgust.gif

Mark Geyer?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL... I'll leave that to others thanks.

yep Mark Geyer. :)
Over to you

Back to the chat room for a bit.....>>>>>>

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You mean Referee Kevin Roberts' Final. ? :mad:

Penalty goals and three bizarre penalties in the final minutes...
emsad.gif

Eric Grothe

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Name the Thursday Islander who had the distinction of scoring a try for his countrywith his first touch of the ball... about 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts