What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vertigo

Year: 1994
Venue: Somewhere in France (I don't know the exact venue)
Opposition: France
Score:74-0 to Australia (WR score for a Test Match I think)
V.

imported_Yaqona

Juniors
"In what year did Mal Meninga make his final test appearance in Australia? Whichvenue was it played at? Who were the opposition? What was the score?"

Rybackgot all 4correct. Well done.
embeer.gif

Your turn.

G'day Yaqona:
I seem to think that the game Ryback mentioned was not Mal's last test. Didn't that happen mid-way thru the season?
I thought the last international game that Mal played was the one off test against France, in France, after the completition of the 1994 Kangaroo tour. The one Vertigo called first than Tigertread mentioned.
Am I mistaken? Just going off an aging memory... :eek:)
Raidpatch

Ryback

Juniors
I'll wait for an official confirmation from Yaqonabefore I proceed.
The gameI mentioned was the last gameI recall Meninga playing. Raidpatch may have a point. I'm not sure.

Raidpatch is correct. Well I think...
Here's portions ofan article Matt O did at rleague on Mal in 1994 season:
Despite Queensland losing the match, the crowd hung around to give Meninga a great farewell from a ground he left so many fond memories for Brisbane Rugby League fans playing for Souths in Brisbane, Queensland and Australia during his long career.
There were calls for Meninga's head from the Test side, but with his past track record, he was retained in the centres and as captain to lead Australia in a one-off Test against France at Parramatta Stadium. Over 27,000 people flocked to Parramatta to farewell from Test football in Australia. The Aussies won the match very easily by 58-0 with Meninga crossing over for a try and kicking five goals.
The confidence shown by the ARL and the Test selectors in picking Meninga to captain the side against France spurred him on for the rest of 1994 and he was to play some vintage Meninga football.

He than goes on to say:
Meninga had achieved everything he set out to do before he retired. There was only one minor obstacle to go and that was a one off Test match in France. Only a miracle would see Meninga leave the game as a last match loser. No miracles was to happen and Australia won in a world record score of 74-0 with Meninga scoring the Kangaroo's final try on tour with a block busting run carrying defenders over the line.
Now I'm interpreting that as the Parramatta Stadium test was Mals last Australian test match, but he did play one more overseas in France. That's what I think anyway.
Here is the link to the complete article, which if you read in entirity will make more sense:
[url]http://archive.rleague.com/moments/meninga94.htm[/url]

imported_Yaqona

Juniors
My question asked for Mal Meninga's last test match in Australia.

Meninga's last test match in Australia was against France, played at Parramatta Stadium, and Australia won 58-0. The year was 1994. So Ryback is correct.

Meninga's very last test match was also played against France, at Bezier, and Australia won 74-0. The year was also 1994.

So Ryback, it's your turn.

Ramit54

Juniors
Ryback is correct. I read the question wrong. Yaqona asked about his last Test in Australia. Mel's last Test in Australia was July 6 at Parramatta Stadium against France which Australia won 58-0.

Ryback

Juniors
Well in all honesty, I also read the question wrong initially. I did think that the Parramatta Stadium test that Mal played in was his last test ever. Thanks for the history lesson gents.
Let's carry on.
Okay. This is kind of footy related but not directly. I hope it's still withinthis threadsguidlines. Here goes..
Who am I? - I'm a former journalist, and chief football writer,who covered an estimated 1000 or soAFLmatches , including 34 AFLGrand Finals alone. I wrote very detailed match previews as a result of my ability to win the confidence and trust of club coaches.

More clues if need be.
I can only stay on line for another half hour.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Geoff Christian who wrote AFL relatedmatch summeries and whatnot for the Western Australian for about 30 years or so, was also their chief AFL writer. I lived there many years ago (just stayed briefly actually) and everyone thereknew who he was.
He's the only one I can think of with that much AFL journolism experience. A thousand matches is a hell of a lot!
Could be a Melbourne writer otherwise.

Ryback

Juniors
It's not Geoff Christian.
I can't get internet access again until around this time tomorrow afternoon. I'll check the board back then. I have to close down now.
Good afternoon to all.

Ryback

Juniors
I was the chief football (AFL) writer for The Herald in Melbourne (not Herald Sun) between the years 1945 and 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.