What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

simon says

First Grade
Contoversy Corner is the best footy show I ahve seen....ex players,ex refs and journos in a no holds barred footy a thon.

Would love to see the current footy show take that 90/10 percent footy to BS mix.

Used to love the passing comp with the elephants "mooooooo' when you got a bullseyse,and the prizes were evern funnier.

But.....the blues on CC were fantastic and informative....I remember Noel Kelly in particular telling some great stories.And of course blokes like the Moose,Ferris Ashton,Col Pearce all doing their stuff.

More please.

Shorty

Staff member
Le KooK said:
meh - I see we were served up the usual Footy Show tripe this week....

The Newcastle circlejerk is really getting out of hand.....

I thought Sonny-Bill conducted himself with class on the show tonight, seems like a genuine and humble person.

A.Johns on the other hand was quite the tool IMO. What arrogance to publicly 'congratulate' SBW for coming on the show and 'apologising to him' - ummmm....sorry Andrew, no matter what your backstage fanclub told you, nobody was sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for someone to grovel at your feet. SBW is just a good bloke, he's not one of the many arse-kissing bootlickers to which you are so obviously used to dealing with.
Actually I disagree,I thought Joey was just thanking Sonny Bill and showing his gratitude...and I'm not a Joey fan at all!
The Newcastle circle jerk is true,it's very annoying....

Danish

Referee
Pigskin said:
just watched the AFL footy show, finished around 1.30am Qld time

I understand this is broken record stuff, but seriously Nein ... just change the format and get a real panel for the League version

I don't even watch AFL games, i just enter footy comps

The AFL footy show has it all, its informative and entertaining

They ripped apart the Ben Cousins issue in depth - a good 30 mins - very big story

Enjoyed the show

Oink !

The AFL footy show treatment of the Ben Cousins issue (both Sam absolutely tearing him apart at the start and the serious interviews) shows exactly how terrible and behind hte 8 ball the NRL show is.

People can say the NRL show isn't all about footy and is more a comedy show, but funnily enough I laugh far more during the AFL show yet they magically find time to dedicate at least half the show to talking footy as well (if you can call that footy) so that argument gets shot to hell.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Rockin Ronny said:
Years ago, there was a great league show every Sunday called Controversy Corner on Channel 7. They focussed on the games and issues related - and realy got into it. It was great. they then brought a couple of players on for a passing competition, prizes etc. Simple but effective.

As years went by, the annual league players dress-up type stuff (funny but talent-less0 started getting televised once a year.

This is what has spawned the likes of Fatty - a fair dinkum talentless, ugly nobody who honestly believes he has talent. Arko must have pulled strings to get him the gig - he's got nothing.

these guys have got to get back to 90% footy/10% stuffing around - and realise that they are there because of the game. Leave the comdey to genuine comics.

The Footy Show is embarrassing. The decision to give a logie to this tripe last year was a joke. If it died tomorrow, who would really care?

Yet you use one of his sayings... ha ha ha

'Turn it up' he must have something after all. LOL

BTW loved Controversy Corner with Rex and the gang when i was a kid.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
coolumsharkie said:
Anyone remember who was on the panel? I remember the faces but not the names.

Main guys were:
Rex Mossop
Ferris Ashton
Col Pearce
Alan Clarkson

Interesting too - in thosed days, referees (like Col pearce) would get on with the game and realise people wanted to see the players, not the referee. Since then, we've had egomaniacs like Hartley, Harrigan and that idiot who used to scream at kickoff. we also have journalists trying to be the news like Weidler, Wilson, Gould.

Seriously, Vautin has to be the most witless monkeys ever to front a TV show apart from natural ugliness.

Frederick

Staff member
parra_jesus said:
does anyone know if boots and all will be back this season on channel 9 ?
It was booted in favour of moving TFS to 11am, and The Sunday Roast now starting at 12 and going for an hour

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pigskin said:
just watched the AFL footy show, finished around 1.30am Qld time

I understand this is broken record stuff, but seriously Nein ... just change the format and get a real panel for the League version

I don't even watch AFL games, i just enter footy comps

The AFL footy show has it all, its informative and entertaining

They ripped apart the Ben Cousins issue in depth - a good 30 mins - very big story

Enjoyed the show

Oink !

Spot on 100%. AFL show had ZERO yest that is right ZERO games and it still spoke more football obviously!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Danish said:
The AFL footy show treatment of the Ben Cousins issue (both Sam absolutely tearing him apart at the start and the serious interviews) shows exactly how terrible and behind hte 8 ball the NRL show is.

People can say the NRL show isn't all about footy and is more a comedy show, but funnily enough I laugh far more during the AFL show yet they magically find time to dedicate at least half the show to talking footy as well (if you can call that footy) so that argument gets shot to hell.

Exactly my thoughts. The AFL show, and you can bag AFL all you like but their footy show is much better. It does help when you have 2 smart panel members in James Brayshaw and Gary Lyon, in comaprison the NRL has a dropkick in Harrogan, a tosser in Fatty, a lunatic in Matt Johns and panel memebers that have no personality whatsoever!

Brutus

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Good to see Ricko has kept up to date with his league knowledge.
What a waste of space he is on the panel. Offering ZERO

Ricko also has zero personality - why he is on that show I will never know.

I can't believe they don't consider Girdler anymore.

cronker

Juniors
Danish said:

Amen. QFT

I enjoyed the NRL show last night, was entertaining enough. But they ripped through 6 matches in about 3 minutes, giving tips and then it was off to do the wheel.

WTF? Talk some more firkin LEAGUE!!!!

Hutty1986

Immortal
cronker said:
Amen. QFT

I enjoyed the NRL show last night, was entertaining enough. But they ripped through 6 matches in about 3 minutes, giving tips and then it was off to do the wheel.

WTF? Talk some more firkin LEAGUE!!!!

Yeah they cut short any form of decent previewing every week. It p*sses me off

braz

Juniors
Brutus said:
Ricko also has zero personality - why he is on that show I will never know.

I can't believe they don't consider Girdler anymore.

I was watching it last night with my wife and the camera panned on Ricko and she said "OMG, how ugly is that bloke!"

I told her that he was supposed to be the sexiest man in league and she pissed herself laughing.

Sorry, Ricko - maybe the 14 year olds will think differently :lol:

Brutus

Referee
The Footy Show rated just 107,000 in Brisbane last night and was the 23rd most watched show of the evening according to 2UE.

It's time Brisbane people got their own version of the show back. After all, it was Brisbane where the Footy Show concept began back in 93/94.

Goleel

Juniors
I thought the show was going well until I heard thousands of channels change at once as Chief and Matty did their ventriloquist acts, not to return to channel nine from 9:30 on thursdays until the first episode next year, to see if anything has changed.

Up until then it was great, the Sonny Bill/Johns part was good, I enjoyed Warren Robson much more than last week, shorter, funnier and simpler than last week. But after the 1v1 its just a blur, some rushed footy previews, a horrible wheel segment and thats about it.

I went through and watched some of the old Footy Show clips from their website yesterday, and gee it was a much better show even only a few years ago, Grumpy Old Men was hilarious, mind you I am a big Rabs Warren fan, Reg Reagan was highlighting fights and swearing at referee's rather than prancing around like a twinkie as he does now, that song, ugh, it was great when Joey told Matty he's got some serious problems after that aired.

A great Footy Show wouldn't require much tinkering, but it needs to get rid of total audience killing segments like the quiz last week, the 1v1 this week and the prize wheel, unless they can get the prize wheel over with quickly and smoothly. A few extra segments like one highlighting great tries and big hits from the round, some extended previews that aren't rushed through to get to another ad break, and something like what they did a few years ago with 'From the Vault' would be great, covering classic moments in league.

It wouldn't take much, and could even keep the same panel, despite how many people don't like them.

I can see a whole lot of people turning off the show in embarrassment last night after 1v1, and not tuning in again the entire year unless something big happens in league.

McCrud

Juniors
Brutus said:
The Footy Show rated just 107,000 in Brisbane last night and was the 23rd most watched show of the evening according to 2UE.

It's time Brisbane people got their own version of the show back. After all, it was Brisbane where the Footy Show concept began back in 93/94.

I'm hopeful that those figures are an indication of a huge decline since last week?

I for one hope those ratings continue to decline, as a result of which Channel Nine will be forced to do something constructive to save the sinking ship that is the Footy Show.

Latest posts