What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

Raider_69

Post Whore
Danish said:
The AFL footy show treatment of the Ben Cousins issue (both Sam absolutely tearing him apart at the start and the serious interviews) shows exactly how terrible and behind hte 8 ball the NRL show is.

People can say the NRL show isn't all about footy and is more a comedy show, but funnily enough I laugh far more during the AFL show yet they magically find time to dedicate at least half the show to talking footy as well (if you can call that footy) so that argument gets shot to hell.

spot on

I never thought it was possible for so many men to get into a bitch-a-thon, it is simple, you don't like the show, don't watch it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
hahahaha this is bloody hilarious

Some muppets on here moan and bitch every week saying they will never watch again, and return the next week to give a blow by blow of what is happening.

Keep it up people, it provides some giggles at how pathetic you are, and keeps the ratings up too

Stranger

Coach
Marshall_magic said:
I never thought it was possible for so many men to get into a bitch-a-thon, it is simple, you don't like the show, don't watch it.

:lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!

Spot on! :lol:!

Lowdown

Juniors
Goleel said:
I thought the show was going well until I heard thousands of channels change at once as Chief and Matty did their ventriloquist acts, not to return to channel nine from 9:30 on thursdays until the first episode next year, to see if anything has changed.
I can see a whole lot of people turning off the show in embarrassment last night after 1v1, and not tuning in again the entire year unless something big happens in league.

Was that not awful to watch? I actually, genuinely felt embarrassed watching that. It was dreadful.

Last night was a new low IMO. Even the ventriliquist they got on was awful - not to mention Mario and the Joey love in. I reckon Kerry Packer nearly raised himself from the dead, to pick up the phone to tell the switch to 'bone' the show then and there.

I'm sure a whole lot of smart people at Channel 9 sit in a room and have their 'hypotheses' about what the general public want/need. Whilst overwhelming opinion on this forum is heavily skewed against the Footy Show, I can't see the general NRL public accepting this 'footytainment' approach. To remove the Rugby League aspect, and focus on the comedic 'talents' of the panel, and their 'guests' is to move away from the essence or the core product of why people originally watched the footy show. If they are going to persist on making this a variety show, with footy players, then they need (a) entertainment that is not embarassing and (b) footy players with engaging personalities - but obviously they struck out on both.

If they want to get some ideas for their Monday morning emergency brainstorming session (I'm sure there will be one) - here is some ideas:

- Bone that awful 1:1
- Bone Crack the Fat (who cares)
- Bone the Falcon - it is painful to watch a grown man carry on like a genius
- Bring back discussion on the game.
- Analyse the plays (not all - just some tactics that stood out for the round).
- Talk about the scoops and scandals.
- Please dont talk excessively about Joey Johns.
- Keep Reg Reagan to an absolute minimum - have someone view his recordings and judge whether or not he's actually funny. Kind of like a quality control officer! Only release quality work (if possible).
- Bring back Andrew Voss.
- Bring on Phil Gould every now and then - I dont like him, but I cant not watch/listen to what he says.
- Go out to the clubs and interviews the players.
- Talk about crowd numbers.
- Talk about footy players girlfriends (and more importatly, show them).
- Do Top 10 plays of the round.
- Do the Biggest Hit and Miss.
- Do a Rookie Watch.
- Have an ongoing Dream Team - where each week the top players as the season continues jostle it out - so by the end of the season - you have a Footy Show Dream Team - much like the Dally M team of the year - but its far more transparent, and interesting to fans.

And for those people on here that whinge about the whingers and say 'dont watch it' - you are missing the point. We all love NRL, and we want shows which promote the game, to be quality and raise the profile of our game. Quite simple really.

Improve your act Channel 9 - and stop treating league fans like idiots.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Danish said:
The AFL footy show treatment of the Ben Cousins issue (both Sam absolutely tearing him apart at the start and the serious interviews) shows exactly how terrible and behind hte 8 ball the NRL show is.

People can say the NRL show isn't all about footy and is more a comedy show, but funnily enough I laugh far more during the AFL show yet they magically find time to dedicate at least half the show to talking footy as well (if you can call that footy) so that argument gets shot to hell.
Totally agree of course.
Banter between Brayshaw/Lyon/Newman doesn't seem as scripted or contrived as the NRL one, and a hell of a lot more funny.

Brutus

Referee
Lowdown said:
Was that not awful to watch? I actually, genuinely felt embarrassed watching that. It was dreadful.

Last night was a new low IMO. Even the ventriliquist they got on was awful - not to mention Mario and the Joey love in. I reckon Kerry Packer nearly raised himself from the dead, to pick up the phone to tell the switch to 'bone' the show then and there.

I'm sure a whole lot of smart people at Channel 9 sit in a room and have their 'hypotheses' about what the general public want/need. Whilst overwhelming opinion on this forum is heavily skewed against the Footy Show, I can't see the general NRL public accepting this 'footytainment' approach. To remove the Rugby League aspect, and focus on the comedic 'talents' of the panel, and their 'guests' is to move away from the essence or the core product of why people originally watched the footy show. If they are going to persist on making this a variety show, with footy players, then they need (a) entertainment that is not embarassing and (b) footy players with engaging personalities - but obviously they struck out on both.

If they want to get some ideas for their Monday morning emergency brainstorming session (I'm sure there will be one) - here is some ideas:

- Bone that awful 1:1
- Bone Crack the Fat (who cares)
- Bone the Falcon - it is painful to watch a grown man carry on like a genius
- Bring back discussion on the game.
- Analyse the plays (not all - just some tactics that stood out for the round).
- Talk about the scoops and scandals.
- Please dont talk excessively about Joey Johns.
- Keep Reg Reagan to an absolute minimum - have someone view his recordings and judge whether or not he's actually funny. Kind of like a quality control officer! Only release quality work (if possible).
- Bring back Andrew Voss.
- Bring on Phil Gould every now and then - I dont like him, but I cant not watch/listen to what he says.
- Go out to the clubs and interviews the players.
- Talk about crowd numbers.
- Talk about footy players girlfriends (and more importatly, show them).
- Do Top 10 plays of the round.
- Do the Biggest Hit and Miss.
- Do a Rookie Watch.
- Have an ongoing Dream Team - where each week the top players as the season continues jostle it out - so by the end of the season - you have a Footy Show Dream Team - much like the Dally M team of the year - but its far more transparent, and interesting to fans.

And for those people on here that whinge about the whingers and say 'dont watch it' - you are missing the point. We all love NRL, and we want shows which promote the game, to be quality and raise the profile of our game. Quite simple really.

Improve your act Channel 9 - and stop treating league fans like idiots.

That is the best Footy Show-related post I have ever read.

Well done champ.:clap:

Brutus

Referee
The Sunday Footy Show is pathetic now too.

Panel on Sunday

Sterling (fair enough)

Fenech
Gasnier
Ikin

If those bottom three are the best they can do then they might as well give up. Such poor quality. Whoever decided to give Fenech a greater profile this year ought to be sacked.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Brutus said:
The Sunday Footy Show is pathetic now too.

Panel on Sunday

Sterling (fair enough)

Fenech
Gasnier
Ikin

If those bottom three are the best they can do then they might as well give up. Such poor quality. Whoever decided to give Fenech a greater profile this year ought to be sacked.

Have to agree, why don't they bring back Boots n All? Or get a better bloody panel than the above mentioned.
The Roast should go for 90minutes with the first 30 going over the latest news, then an hour of discussion on prevelant issues.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Personally I thought Gaz's insights were very useful and more often than not, on the money

Can take Mario being on there, is a smart footy brain in there behind the fronts put on

Ikin is just hopeless, everything relates to brisbane somehow

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He player 270 odd games of 1sts so knows something about the game, and when you take away all the bullsh*t surrouding him, he is a helluva lot more clued up than most people think about footy.

dont beleive that just coz he plays a certain role, he knows nothing about footy

Brutus

Referee
Beavers Headgear said:
He player 270 odd games of 1sts so knows something about the game, and when you take away all the bullsh*t surrouding him, he is a helluva lot more clued up than most people think about footy.

dont beleive that just coz he plays a certain role, he knows nothing about footy

Cliffy Lyons also played a lot of footy and knows a lot about the game, but would we want him fronting league shows every week?

Mario is one lucky guy.

Brutus

Referee
Mario just states the obvious or repeats what one of his fellow panel members has just said. It's tragic and has been so for several years now. I'd like to know who the bright spark at Channel 9 was that decided to give a greater presence this year. So much for a new direction.

Mr Saab

Referee
I would rather listen to mario than listen to Mark Geyer (doesnt say much i know)...he is absolutely painful to listen to. Does ZERO to dispell the stereotype about league players.
MG gives hope to Matty Bowen about making the Footyshow Panel!

Latest posts