What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

wittyfan

Referee
The ad for this week's Footy Show says that hypnotist Peter Powers will be on.

It's been too long now since we last saw Fatty eating an onion, or Mario pretending to give birth.

wittyfan

Referee
Tonight's show will feature an AFL vs. NRL relay swimming race from the World Championships in Melbourne. Mario will be swimming the NRL team.

Not sure why there is any AFL content.

domdom

Juniors
Lowdown said:
- Bone that awful 1:1
- Bone Crack the Fat (who cares)
- Bone the Falcon - it is painful to watch a grown man carry on like a genius
- Bring back discussion on the game.
- Analyse the plays (not all - just some tactics that stood out for the round).
- Talk about the scoops and scandals.
- Please dont talk excessively about Joey Johns.
- Keep Reg Reagan to an absolute minimum - have someone view his recordings and judge whether or not he's actually funny. Kind of like a quality control officer! Only release quality work (if possible).
- Bring back Andrew Voss.
- Bring on Phil Gould every now and then - I dont like him, but I cant not watch/listen to what he says.
- Go out to the clubs and interviews the players.
- Talk about crowd numbers.
- Talk about footy players girlfriends (and more importatly, show them).
- Do Top 10 plays of the round.
- Do the Biggest Hit and Miss.
- Do a Rookie Watch.
- Have an ongoing Dream Team - where each week the top players as the season continues jostle it out - so by the end of the season - you have a Footy Show Dream Team - much like the Dally M team of the year - but its far more transparent, and interesting to fans.

And for those people on here that whinge about the whingers and say 'dont watch it' - you are missing the point. We all love NRL, and we want shows which promote the game, to be quality and raise the profile of our game. Quite simple really.

Improve your act Channel 9 - and stop treating league fans like idiots.

SPOT ON!!!

i stopped watching that dog of a show once i got fox a few years ago, the show makes league fans look like a bunch of morons just like the footy show panel.

if you want comedy, hire a comedian, not some boofhead ex player who got dropped on the head as a baby. if i want to watch a show about footy, at least 90% should be about the bloody game.

i feel for the fans who dont have fox and are forced to get their footy fix off this bunch of tools.

Brutus

Referee
wittyfan said:
Tonight's show will feature an AFL vs. NRL relay swimming race from the World Championships in Melbourne. Mario will be swimming the NRL team.

So much for a new direction.

Lowdown said:
If they want to get some ideas for their Monday morning emergency brainstorming session (I'm sure there will be one) - here is some ideas:

- Bone that awful 1:1
- Bone Crack the Fat (who cares)
- Bone the Falcon - it is painful to watch a grown man carry on like a genius
- Bring back discussion on the game.
- Analyse the plays (not all - just some tactics that stood out for the round).
- Talk about the scoops and scandals.
- Please dont talk excessively about Joey Johns.
- Keep Reg Reagan to an absolute minimum - have someone view his recordings and judge whether or not he's actually funny. Kind of like a quality control officer! Only release quality work (if possible).
- Bring back Andrew Voss.
- Bring on Phil Gould every now and then - I dont like him, but I cant not watch/listen to what he says.
- Go out to the clubs and interviews the players.
- Talk about crowd numbers.
- Talk about footy players girlfriends (and more importatly, show them).
- Do Top 10 plays of the round.
- Do the Biggest Hit and Miss.
- Do a Rookie Watch.
- Have an ongoing Dream Team - where each week the top players as the season continues jostle it out - so by the end of the season - you have a Footy Show Dream Team - much like the Dally M team of the year - but its far more transparent, and interesting to fans.

:clap: :clap:

Some great ideas there. Its too easy to simply just bag the show. For my employees I promote the philosophy - "Come to me with Solutions, not just problems"

If only the producers at Channel 9 read, and took note of these above. Well done Lowdown..

Skeletor

Juniors
Also, one thing which I would love to see:
Bring on an ex-referee (much as I dislike him, Bill Harrigan is probably the only one with the personality, knowledge and inclination to do it) to come on for a 4 or 5 minute segment and talk about controversial decisions over the week. More often than not when you think your team got screwed it turns out the ref was actually in the right (maybe make it a viewer response type segment where fans send in questions about the previous weeks games).

Also, my idea for the panel:
Sterlo
Vossy
Langer (or Webcke)
Rotating seat for currently playing/recently retired player)

Mr Saab

Referee
They can do comedy, but it should involve the players more.

One of the funniet things i have seen on that show was when Mario Fenech was setup when he went to interview the Gidley brothers. They played a game of backyard football and Kidley "twisted" his ankle when Muzza tackled him. Matt Gidley called coach Hagan and Hagan demanded to speak to Fenech and gave it to him. It was a classic.

Voss in 1998 had a segment "I thought you were dead" and interviewed past players like Bruiser Clarke, Geoff Robinson, Johnathon Docking...it was great TV.

But no, today they have 2 pathetic dingbats (johns and harragon) who think the show is all about them

wittyfan said:

NRL: Matt King, Billy Slater, Mario Fenech and Susie O'Neill
AFL: Shane Crawford, Brendon Fevola (not 100% sure on that), Billy Brownless and Brooke Hansen

Farva

Juniors
I actually think Fatty and the gang can be pretty funny, but not when they do the skits.
The funniest one-liners come out when it is spontaneous, not doing something that they have rehearsed before.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
They can do comedy, but it should involve the players more.

One of the funniet things i have seen on that show was when Mario Fenech was setup when he went to interview the Gidley brothers. They played a game of backyard football and Kidley "twisted" his ankle when Muzza tackled him. Matt Gidley called coach Hagan and Hagan demanded to speak to Fenech and gave it to him. It was a classic.

Voss in 1998 had a segment "I thought you were dead" and interviewed past players like Bruiser Clarke, Geoff Robinson, Johnathon Docking...it was great TV.

But no, today they have 2 pathetic dingbats (johns and harragon) who think the show is all about them
As far as stictch-ups go, that ranked right up there with the best of them.

wittyfan

Referee
Tonight Travis Burns gets hypnotized into giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a blow up doll.

Time to call stumps on the show?

wittyfan

Referee
Give her life!!! :lol:

1175164632_7779.jpg

Angry_eel

First Grade
Phillips said:
there is a solution

BRING BACK TERRY HILL!!!!!!
Terry to a toddler
Terry: Do you want timmy the tiger to get bashed up?
Toddler: Yes
Terry: Do you really want timmy the tiger to bashed up?
Toddler: Yes!!!!!!
Toddler walks away.

:lol:
i still remember that.

btw, i might have got the tiger's name wrong.

Latest posts