What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I thought it was much, much better than ANY episode from last year

I actually enjoyed it for the first time in some time. Sure, some of it was still cringeworthy, but yeah.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Have a look at the timeslot its in FFS. It's meant to be a light-hearted "entertainment" show I spose you could call it. The Sunday Footy Show is the fair dinkum one, so if you all think the Thursday one is so bad - its been said before - DON'T WATCH IT. Watch the Sunday morning one instead when the emphasis is ON the footy.
Have a look at the timeslot? Have a look at the f**king title. The Footy Show. Not Fatty Live, or Hey Hey It's Thursday. It's the Footy Show, a show about football, and I want to see some f**king football being discussed. Not too hard to ask.

Additionally, the Melbourne AFL Footy Show is shown in the same timeslot, and can still talk about the game in depth. As I said, there was more football talked in the AFL one with one game than in the NRL one with eight.

And I suppose a barometer off the brains on both shows: AFL Footy Show wins the Temptation Network Challenge tonight (Sam Newman gave it away), compared to the NRL Show, which failed to get past the first round.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Father Dougal McGuire said:
I thought it was much, much better than ANY episode from last year.

You do realise that it aint hard to beat last year! But I would not know as I didn't watch it. I watched my Married with Children DVD instead. The AFL show was good though. Why can't the NRL one have at leat ONE intelligent host!

cronker

Juniors
Interesting thought. Being an Adelaide boy who follows league, I always thought the NRL show was catering to the taste of the NSW & QLD league fan with its z-grade humour and lack of actual game information. This thread makes me realise otherwise....

lockyno1

Post Whore
Coleman said:
Have a look at the timeslot? Have a look at the f**king title. The Footy Show. Not Fatty Live, or Hey Hey It's Thursday. It's the Footy Show, a show about football, and I want to see some f**king football being discussed. Not too hard to ask.

Additionally, the Melbourne AFL Footy Show is shown in the same timeslot, and can still talk about the game in depth. As I said, there was more football talked in the AFL one with one game than in the NRL one with eight.

And I suppose a barometer off the brains on both shows: AFL Footy Show wins the Temptation Network Challenge tonight (Sam Newman gave it away), compared to the NRL Show, which failed to get past the first round.

Spot on. Bag AFL all you like, but the fact is their FOOTY SHOW talks about football. That is not that hard to ask. Exactly why I don't watch the NRL one this year. The shows on Fox are great, but even if I do have Fox and most people on here do as well, I feel for the guys that have to rely on 3 dropkicks (chief, matty, and fatty)...attempting to have a footy show. It is a terrible show and has been for a while. Get Vossy and Sterlo on there as hosts and cut chief and fatty. The AFL show has 2 serious hosts in Brayshaw and Lyon, and has comedians in Sam and Trevor.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I watched it, but it's getting pretty pathetic. I hoped they would change it. Of course its a variety show, but there is hardly no league talk.

I'd suggest a format along these lines:

- Introduction of show and panel. Outline what's happening for the night.

- Intro of guest hosts. Two per week, but FFS, more media savvy than Mason and Gasnier please. Someone who can get a sentence out at the least and a bit of variety, not always the same people.

- Weekly wrap-up consisting of quick discussion on some of the weeks issues, whats in the papers etc. etc. Comments from everyone. They should have a viewer poll question each week on a big issue as well, that viewers could SMS or call a response to. e.g Who will come out on top this week, A) Benji Marshall or B) Greg Inglis. They could keep track of this throughout the night, and then reveal the results at the end.

- Comedy, something involving Matthew Johns, or the whole panel. Something like a light-hearted street talk, or interviews behind the scenes, the general stuff.

- A one-by-one preview of all the games each week, complete with line-ups. But FFS, make it longer than the 15 seconds they devote to this now. A bit of tactical analysis isn't too much to ask, is it?

I can't think of much else right now, but thats a good start. Thoughts?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=255087

Fatty snubs pressure for Footy Show fun
Friday Mar 16 14:18 AEDT

His own health and the pressure of ratings were forgotten when Paul "Fatty" Vautin kicked-off The Footy Show's 2007 season on Thursday night.

He returned as the only foundation host after his go-to man for the past 12 years Peter Sterling quit the show in the off-season to concentrate on more serious commentary duties.

It was at his insistence, Vautin said, that Sterling returned for a final tribute from his mates during the year's first episode.

But instead of his customary suit and tie, he appeared laid-back in a T-shirt and jeans to reminisce, watch a few of the highlights and lowlights from his time on the show and prove his horsemanship as he rode off set on a donkey wearing socks in the blue and yellow of his beloved Parramatta Eels.

advertisement
"It all happened pretty suddenly during the off-season so we had to get him back to say goodbye properly on air and so the fans could as well," Vautin said.

"He's been such an important part of the show and has such an amazing football brain."

Above all, Vautin said he will miss Thursday nights hanging out with his mate.

"He wasn't a safety blanket for me but if I went too far, he'd always be there to sort it out," Vautin said.

"Mostly I enjoy his company, he's a great mate, we play golf together, so it leaves a big hole."

Vautin will be absent again this year from what has traditionally been the other half of his duties with Nine.

For 12 years since The Footy Show began, the Sterling and Vautin combination had become synonymous with Friday Night Footy.

But Vautin was axed from commentary duties for regular weekend matches last year.

"I'm still not sure why I was taken off the commentary duties but it's volatile the world of TV," he said.

"When I was negotiating with Eddie McGuire last year he said he wanted me to be pumped up for every Thursday night and I said yeah, no worries, but I miss the commentary side of things."

Vautin said the head injury he suffered during a stunt for The Footy Show segment Daredevil Dudes was not a factor in the reduction in his on-air duties.

But he admitted he was yet to recover completely.

"I don't think I'll ever be 100 per cent, but I don't want to go on about it," he said.

"There are problems which pop up from time to time and I deal with them."

Needless to say, the Daredevil Dudes segment, in which Vautin and his co-hosts Paul Harragon and Matthew Johns took on daring challenges, has been give the flick pass in favour of a new game.

Vautin will be an observer only for the one-on-one challenges between Harragon and Johns throughout the year.

It began with a high-wire challenge this week before the pair compare ventriloquism skills next week.

While reports that Vautin had been forced to take a pay cut and Sterling left the show because of a planned overhaul have been brushed off, Nine's returning Footy Shows performed well enough for the network to once again win Thursday night in the ratings.

The AFL (Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide) and NRL (Sydney, Brisbane) versions of the show didn't match the number one rating program RPA, which they replaced, but they did win their timeslots in all capital cities except for Brisbane.

Combined they were the ninth most popular show on a night in which 200,000 viewers separated the top 10 programs.

However, despite the constant talk of ratings and network pressure, Vautin, who has now been involved in rugby league for 40 years since he took the field for West Mitchelton in Brisbane as a six-year-old, continues to pinch himself that he's making a living out of what he loves.

"I retired from rugby league in 1991 and didn't have a clue about what I wanted to do," he said.

"To think that I've been in the game for 40 years and it's what I make a crust from is a dream."

El Diablo

Post Whore
Vautin did his head in an anti-ad when they were dressed as sumo wrestlers, not Daredevil Dudes.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Yeah, nice bit of research there.
Surely ninemsn would monitor that before placing it on its own website, regarless of who wrote the article?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Saying "If you don't like it, DON'T f**king WATCH IT!" doesn't solve any of the problems.
It's like if the trains are really sh*t, always late and overcrowded for example. Saying "Well don't catch the trains then!" doesn't address the issue.

BrisVegas said:
Anyone else hear the guys on the panel bagging out the new Matty Johns "A Current Affair"/"Today Tonight" spoof? As the segment finished they showed a shot of the crowd clapping but someone on the panel, Mason I think, could be heard saying "That was Terrible" followed by someone replying "Yeah that was s#!t"

Lol:lol: :lol:

jamesgould

Juniors
Coleman said:
Saying "If you don't like it, DON'T f**king WATCH IT!" doesn't solve any of the problems.
It's like if the trains are really sh*t, always late and overcrowded for example. Saying "Well don't catch the trains then!" doesn't address the issue.

You don't have a choice about catching the trains though (unless you have a car - in which case I would say - THEN TAKE YOUR CAR!).

If you don't like the footy show then there is absolutely no reason why you should watch it. In fact, by not watching it you will decrease it's ratings and make it more likely to get taken off the air!

Latest posts