What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

Blaze

Juniors
Gasnier and Mason do not work.

Mason is obviously on there to try and be controversial and hard-hitting in his opinions.

Don't quite know what the logic behind having Gasnier on the panel is. He doesn't seem to have the personality to be on TV.

Goleel

Juniors
Gasnier was quiet, at least Mason spoke a bit, even if he did embarass himself when he did. Loved his Dragons tip, 'I only tipped em coz someone else tipped the Titans. Thinking about it, I reckon they'll win.' Funny stuff. Well, if you find that funny, you'll like the footy show, if you think that just highlights how stupid he is and don't see it as funny, well you probably are calling for the footy show to be axed, and have been since it became a good bandwagon to jump on.

I thought there was plenty of footy talk there tonight, compare it to about three or four years ago where the only footy was a couple of interviews and then a quick rundown of tips at the end of the show after they've rammed in their 10 ad breaks between 10:30 and 11:30, and we're getting heaps more footy on Thursdays, not to mention nine did actually listen to that complaint by extending the Friday night coverage the last few years with the post game show, and putting on the Sunday Roast and Boots n All.

If they trimmed the fat (not Fatty), it could be a great show, as it is, the first hour I love watching, then start flicking channels or going to bed after that because of all the ads. Get rid of Crack a Fat and the trivia sections, and keep the 'variety' segments (Matty Johns skits, 1v1, Daredevil Dudes, etc..) to one a week and it'd be a damn good show.

MattJ

Juniors
I like the idea of having current players on the panel, i dont know why that should include ricketson, and his 007 style section of the opening credits made me want to stab myself in the eyes with a fork,
I thought the "different kind of rabbit" ad was brilliant, and the sterlo farewell was a nice touch as well.
Gaz contributed nothing, perhaps he was a little nervous and may have some more input in future shows. The souths and roosters players that did the quiz almost generated half of a personality between the 4 of them, and like a lot of other people have said, the band were just dismal.
I would say despite a new format, its no better or no worse, i'll keep watching it, atleast its league related and theres nothing better on at the same time.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think they talk about footy much because the guest stars that are on there don't have particularly good conversation skills.
You saw Gasnier and Mason on there last night,Mason looked as if he was embarrassed to be there.

Some of it's funny...a bit but I got bored after a while.

El Diablo

Post Whore
watching the AFL and NRL shows you can tell which one has been the victim of Eddie's cost cutting. The sets on each show give it away.

It's cheap and crap. Axe it already.

hrundi99

First Grade
I thought it was ok but if they are going to have players on there, they need some media training and personality. I felt sorry for Widders, as he was the only one making an effort.

Matty Johns current affairs thing was ok but should have only lasted half the time.

The Mario joke is getting way too old. His work at the launch should have been Rd1 oriented, not Mario oriented.

Apart from that it was ok.

There DID seem to be more footy talk.

Parra Guru

Coach
Gaz and Mason looked bored. You'd think with having players like that on the show they could talk some serious footy. Gasnier was trying to, but Vautin shut it down quickly. It is just so stale and boring, and unfunny. Vautin has been using the same sh*t crude humour for 12 years, it may have been funny when it was 'new' to TV, but now he just looks like a try hard.

Did anyone believe Sterlo when he said it was his call to leave?

cronker

Juniors
It was lame. But seeing that we get 5% of F**k all NRL coverage in Adelaide, it was almost compulsory viewing.

The quiz was a disaster, those four players were as dull as dishwater, surely they could get some who have personality. The Go for Gold is crap. It did look pretty cheap arse throughout, I must say.

It would be nice if they could show the lineups and the ins and outs for each side, injury reports etc etc.

Mal Meninga

Bench
I didn't mind Gaz because he thinks before he opens his mouth. When they were doing the tips, he atleast had abit of logic, not like Willie "Oh I dunno, someone went for the other team so I picked this team" Mason.

But some of the segments... namely the Robson thing was garbage. Crack a fat, 1V1, and brain strain are also redundant. They didn't even do the street beat which is usually one of the funniest segments they posses.

Mal Meninga

Bench
P.S Did Sterlo think it was time to leave roughly the same time it was announced that Fatty, one of the most ignorant sports analysts around would be headed to the world cup, and not Sterlo who actually follows the sport?

Geohood

Bench
You whining babies there are two shows completely about the footy each week!

Far out you all need to lighten up, the average guy loves the show and if everyone wasnt so analytical you would enjoy it too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They expect "the best"

Well, it's footy. Live with it. The idea of the show is to market rugby league, and it's presence alone on the TV does that. I'd rather a sub-standard show about RL filling the slot rather than nothing at all.

Parra Guru

Coach
Geohood said:
You whining babies there are two shows completely about the footy each week!

Far out you all need to lighten up, the average guy loves the show and if everyone wasnt so analytical you would enjoy it too.

I think you're generalising too much. It appeals to people who like Rugby League when SOO is on, and will go to a game if they get given free tickets.

The rest of us who religiously follow our teams would much rather something like this:

cronker said:
It would be nice if they could show the lineups and the ins and outs for each side, injury reports etc etc.

That's not too much to ask for.

thickos

First Grade
Is it that difficult to have a genuine, magazine style NRL show where they review/preview matches and have decent interviews with players and coaches from ALL clubs on free to air TV?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I have watched the show for ages, watched it again last night and it was ok. They need to find the medium and have a bit of humour on there with the footy talk. The segments like crack a fat, the 'news reporter' were pretty ordinary. There's a major difference between the afl and nrl shows.

The afl shows is well run, and all speakers are quite articulate. It seems like the league players on our shows do no preperation. Seriously, the producers should hand them a sheet of paper with interesting things to say... instead of "i dont know i just picked em". I dont like Gaz but didnt mind him on the show, he showed a bit of intelligence. Mason was well spoken although sometime showed little thought. The show is rudderless, really unorganised and needs a host with some direction and a little bit more professionalism. I'll give mason and gaz a break because there new at the game, but those moments of fatty's where the show stalls and you can kind of tell there looking for direction should have been addressed years ago.

I think ricko on there will be good, his well spoken and seems intelligent enough. Girdler would be perfect, craig wing would be good, and webke would have also been excellent on there.

A footy show with Vossy as a host, Gus on there as media representation, players like gaz, mason, girds, ricko would be good. Matty and fatty could stay to do street talks and skits, impersonations etc. Bring in actors and politicians or whatever to mix it up a bit. Bit of a discussion panel, each player brings a few topics. No live bands unless they can get the sound right, because channel 9 always seem to struggle with the mix. I actually thought the vipers last year were alot better than this years effort. Its also been along time since we've seen decent bands perform on the show.

Anyway, thats my rant about the show, it was ok but could be alot better with a bit more organisation.

Latest posts