What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

steeden.

Juniors
I wasnt expecting that much last night, so the first hour I thought was ok... but after that it went downhill imo. 1 vs 1 was a major waste of time. NRL deluxe is miles ahead of the footy show.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I still don't understand why they'd give Peter Sterling the push if they were intent on creating a show that talked footy. Its obvious the show is metamorphisising, why take the panel member with the most credibility?

The one bit that really bothered me was at the start when they tried to make chief take his shirt off too show the pec that gaz had done. It was just stupid... plain stupid. And dont get me wrong, i dont hate the show. But sometimes it just goes massively off track.

I havent watched NRL deluxe, what channel and what time is that on?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
it starts here in melb in about 25mins....the AFL show was good, predictably they bagged the crap out of ch7

choc mundine interview was good, great how they showed him sammy newman in fine form 'punching' a richmond player back in the 60s while he was on his knees

also good how they had the set-up in the mail bag segment of the news report from the late 80s about a young west indian fast bowler training in australia, bowling to a young WA batsmen with loads of potential (James Brayshaw)....hearing Brayshaw speak was hilarious, his balls hadnt dropped and they kept replaying him talking about the bowling when they showed highlights of Garry Lyon from the SW 20/20 match

i'll check out the NRL show...disappointing sterlo isnt on, the chief annoys the sh1t out of me
That was great — almost as good as the Lyon stretcher footage.
"Yeah good line and length, hits the pitch hard..." and then the coy look straight into the lens of the camera was hilarious.

Now that JB is a member of the Roos board led to an interesting debate last night, I thought that was great. Hutcho was a bit of a wanker.

Amazing how with one game on this weekend, the talked more football than the NRL show, which has eight.

wittyfan

Referee
The Footy Show rated 314,000 in Sydney last night, and 121,000 in Brisbane.

I think most tuned in to see if Sterlo had actually left, and also hoping that somehow the show may be better this year.

mongoose

Coach
It wasn't that bad, they just need a decent panel, one that doesn't have harrogan for starters. Fatty has run his course too, time for a new host. Gasnier and Mason are not TV personalities either. Matty is good at what he does.

Their first show back for the season, and I thought it was pretty good. Laughed plenty of times, and there were a few dull bits (the Mario - "when am I on", and interviewing players with "shouldn't I be on the panel" is so overdone its cremated), but in all a decent view.

For all the negative sods out there - you watched it. And damn sure you'll watch it again, complaining all the way..........

Duffman

Juniors
They really need to cut down on the trivia quizes. That would probably be one of the worst moments moments for the Footy Show. Widders was the only one really contributing. Harrison could put me to sleep.

Here is a list of how I think the show should work.

Yay.

Match analysis; (Depending on the teams involved and importance, Injuries etc.)
Breaking news; (Weidler's segment is on the right track, but they need a credible jouno)
Special guest host; (A different special guest each week)
Sketches (Anti-Ad, Reg Reagan, Street Talk remain)
Local Live Acts (I hope to good that band doesn't return)

Nay.

Trivia (Very dull, especially with people with no personality)
Crack A Fat (Not entertaining in the least)
Special Guest alter-ego. (It would look alot better without 007 Ricko, or Surfer Gaz)

Obviously I can't think of everything maybe you guys can add things.

Snoz

Juniors
would rather watch the footy show than law and order and bones.

actually footy content has increased - still some lame stuff like matt johns alter ego newsreader guy - it was boring as bats*&t.

rest was ok - Gaz said some good stuff when previewing this weeks game. Mason was just exposed as a dumbass. Don't know what the tv execs see in him & ricketson.

Parra Guru

Coach
Bring back John Fifita said:
Their first show back for the season, and I thought it was pretty good. Laughed plenty of times, and there were a few dull bits (the Mario - "when am I on", and interviewing players with "shouldn't I be on the panel" is so overdone its cremated), but in all a decent view.

For all the negative sods out there - you watched it. And damn sure you'll watch it again, complaining all the way..........

no i won't be watching it again unless i'm interested in a player who's going to be on

Azkatro

First Grade
First of all I didn't watch it so I don't know what last night's effort was like, but I think the biggest issue is that the panel members don't have the expertise to properly discuss games. Vautin, Harragon and Johns are far too opinionated to be able to analyse a match and dissect what's going on, so of course there's going to be a complete lack of technical discussion on the show.

With Sterling gone, they are ALL "personalities" before they are rugby league "experts". Hence the show is always going to focus on (apparently very shoddy) attempts to entertain the mainstream, as opposed to discussing rugby league.

I've learnt to not expect that to change anymore. That's just the way the show is. My personal opinion is that it's bordering on embarassing as a prime time representative of rugby league, but what can you do.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I don't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. It's never going to be talking about rugby league 100% of the time. Have a look at the timeslot its in FFS. It's meant to be a light-hearted "entertainment" show I spose you could call it. The Sunday Footy Show is the fair dinkum one, so if you all think the Thursday one is so bad - its been said before - DON'T WATCH IT. Watch the Sunday morning one instead when the emphasis is ON the footy.

MattJ

Juniors
Jobdog said:
I don't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. It's never going to be talking about rugby league 100% of the time. Have a look at the timeslot its in FFS. It's meant to be a light-hearted "entertainment" show I spose you could call it. The Sunday Footy Show is the fair dinkum one, so if you all think the Thursday one is so bad - its been said before - DON'T WATCH IT. Watch the Sunday morning one instead when the emphasis is ON the footy.

Thats a fair enough point, but why is it that the melbourne viewers get a free to air afl footy show which does a lot more in depth football talk, line ups etc... and we get a variety show full of segments and "comedy". Both states show there versions at the same time.
I assume the afl does a sunday show as well... can anyone from vic here tell me if thats the case?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
My exact thoughts Matt. With 2 shows on the same channel at the same time how could one show be so wrong. One has intelligent conversation with articulate hosts, great guests and good live acts.... one has crack a fat and a today tonight spoof. I honestly find myself enjoying the afl show more than the league one, and i am definately not a league fan. Its funny and clever. I was bored as bat sh*t with the league one last night.