What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The fraud thread

If you make it in the NRL surely you're good at something? It's not like these players are automatically selected they go through the grades and build their careers. Many coaches would of had their interactions with these guys and somehow got in. Are we really saying these athletes are frauds? Us of all people? Fans? Couch Potatoes judge a career by one word? Lets see how many posters in here can make it in the NRL?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He was spectacularly awful. If he hadn't played for the Storm, he might've played 10-15 games tops, done something incredibly stupid on the piss and never be heard of again. But he played 3 Origins and 100 NRL matches.

And yeah, the definition of fraud is criminal deception for financial gain...we've had more than a few of those types.

The two most shining examples being in our first year - Denis Betts and Andy Platt. Both on massive money for the era, both rubbish. Betts even got us to stump up to fly his bulldogs over at huge expense, and didn't even give half his arse for us.
You missed the worst part about Platt and Betts- we basically traded the Paul brothers for them.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you make it in the NRL surely you're good at something? It's not like these players are automatically selected they go through the grades and build their careers. Many coaches would of had their interactions with these guys and somehow got in. Are we really saying these athletes are frauds? Us of all people? Fans? Couch Potatoes judge a career by one word? Let’s see how many posters in here can make it in the NRL?
Blair always gave me the impression he was that guy who did everything right outside game day. Good trainer, natural leader etc. just didn’t produce in the field in the same way. Monty Betham was a bit like that too.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The two most shining examples being in our first year - Denis Betts and Andy Platt. Both on massive money for the era, both rubbish. Betts even got us to stump up to fly his bulldogs over at huge expense, and didn't even give half his arse for us.

To be fair it was Platt who had his dogs brought over and I think he was the bigger dud as he was in his 30s and already a bit over the hill. Betts was in his prime and I think he went ok, albeit in a bit of a Sam Tomkins sort of way where he wasn't the superstar you'd want for the money spent.

Blair always gave me the impression he was that guy who did everything right outside game day. Good trainer, natural leader etc. just didn’t produce in the field in the same way. Monty Betham was a bit like that too.
That's a good example. I never had any issues with Blairy. He's not the best commentator or game day presenter however he had some good years as a player in the Storm uniform but didn't quite get that quality once he left Bellamy.

He was a total unprofessional when we lost the RWC game against Fiji chewing gum and not articulating himself very well. However he does deserve some respect for the amount of games/years he has had in RL. Albeit it wasn't the best 2nd half of his career his 1st half shouldn't be forgotten.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
To be fair it was Platt who had his dogs brought over and I think he was the bigger dud as he was in his 30s and already a bit over the hill. Betts was in his prime and I think he went ok, albeit in a bit of a Sam Tomkins sort of way where he wasn't the superstar you'd want for the money spent.
Pardon me, wrote Betts when I meant Platt.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's a good example. I never had any issues with Blairy. He's not the best commentator or game day presenter however he had some good years as a player in the Storm uniform but didn't quite get that quality once he left Bellamy.

He was a total unprofessional when we lost the RWC game against Fiji chewing gum and not articulating himself very well. However he does deserve some respect for the amount of games/years he has had in RL. Albeit it wasn't the best 2nd half of his career his 1st half shouldn't be forgotten.
I have significant issues with Adam Blair. He's the worst commentator in any sport on any medium. He is a deadset cheerleader, who gives no insight into the contest. This guy works for the Warriors, played 331 games, 50 for the Kiwis, yet cannot articulate a single decent bit of analysis about the game, or what is happening at Mt Smart HQ. HOW? He's horrendous. All he does is describe the weather, and the atmosphere, and exactly what I can see with my eyes on the screen. The other day, they were playing highlights of the Raiders guys pre-game, and every 'insight' he gave was the skill the player was doing on the screen at the time.

He thrived at the Storm but never had interest in being a leader or putting in anywhere else. I'll never forget we played the baby Broncos in 2017, Adam Blair was captain of the Broncs and I knew we'd win that game. He was absolutely anonymous, had no desire to step up in the Origin players' absence. And that is the theme of his career. Absolute downhill skiier.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Natural leader? I don't think you'd hear Tigers fans saying that. Nor do I feel that way as a Warriors and Kiwis fan. I feel like he's actually the opposite - he was only a leader when he had others around him to do it, as well.

I'm sure he was a good trainer but he was happy to give himself leave passes on trying hard on game day for years.

All he does is describe the weather, and the atmosphere, and exactly what I can see with my eyes on the screen. The other day, they were playing highlights of the Raiders guys pre-game, and every 'insight' he gave was the skill the player was doing on the screen at the time.
That pretty much describes the efforts from all of Sky NZ's NRL coverage numpties.

Which makes Sky NZ eminently qualified for this thread I reckon.

Meth

Staff member
If you make it in the NRL surely you're good at something? It's not like these players are automatically selected they go through the grades and build their careers. Many coaches would of had their interactions with these guys and somehow got in. Are we really saying these athletes are frauds? Us of all people? Fans? Couch Potatoes judge a career by one word? Lets see how many posters in here can make it in the NRL?

Another spectacularly boring contribution from you

Meth

Staff member
Bloody hell, Jackson Ford is one of the Warriors best forwards. Huge engine.

Many Warriors fans agree with you. I know I'm in the minority on this one. He had a good game on the weekend.

Bazal

Post Whore
Many Warriors fans agree with you. I know I'm in the minority on this one. He had a good game on the weekend.

Ford reminds me of a guy like Todd Lowrie...like there's one or two things he does well and he's probably NRL standard. You could never accuse him of not putting in. But he just doesn't quite have it...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That pretty much describes the efforts from all of Sky NZ's NRL coverage numpties.

Which makes Sky NZ eminently qualified for this thread I reckon.
Yeah well that is very true. But Glen Llama, he's never played the game and so I can forgive to a point how hopeless he is. And Honey is there on tokenism, not merit (and please be aware I do not feel this way at all about females in the media. There are outstanding females in cricket, rugby and league who do a better job than the men).

But honestly, it's like Ian Healy on the cricket commentary. Hundreds of games played but no idea. You could pick out a punter, and they'd offer more. It's ridiculous.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ford reminds me of a guy like Todd Lowrie...like there's one or two things he does well and he's probably NRL standard. You could never accuse him of not putting in. But he just doesn't quite have it...
He has the natural attributes to be a good player. Just needs to keep his error/penaty rate down. But he’s no plodder.

Bazal

Post Whore
He has the natural attributes to be a good player. Just needs to keep his error/penaty rate down. But he’s no plodder.

Yeah I don't reckon you'd call him a plodder at this stage. Maybe in a few years if he doesn't improve? If have him in the toiler class right now. Always puts in and does have his strengths but just missing something vital at this stage.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

I reckon the post you're replying to is a great example of the point you're making, that plodders (counter-intuitively) get overrated because league fans in general tend to love a battler

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Each to their own, for me Ford's natural attributes are exactly why he will always be a plodder. Like he's not horrendously unathletic but his overall combo of physical attributes is substandard.

Anyway, sorry everyone for hijacking this and turning it into a Warriors forum style debate on Jackson Ford's attributes.

Seven pages in and not one mention of Jarrad Anderson.
Shame on the Sharks fans who have contributed so far.
The only good thing he did for the club was not get signed, which in turn made his father leave

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I have significant issues with Adam Blair. He's the worst commentator in any sport on any medium. He is a deadset cheerleader, who gives no insight into the contest. This guy works for the Warriors, played 331 games, 50 for the Kiwis, yet cannot articulate a single decent bit of analysis about the game, or what is happening at Mt Smart HQ. HOW? He's horrendous. All he does is describe the weather, and the atmosphere, and exactly what I can see with my eyes on the screen. The other day, they were playing highlights of the Raiders guys pre-game, and every 'insight' he gave was the skill the player was doing on the screen at the time.

He thrived at the Storm but never had interest in being a leader or putting in anywhere else. I'll never forget we played the baby Broncos in 2017, Adam Blair was captain of the Broncs and I knew we'd win that game. He was absolutely anonymous, had no desire to step up in the Origin players' absence. And that is the theme of his career. Absolute downhill skiier.

That's the mad thing about Blair, that obviously he was doing so much right off the field and in the eyes of all of his coaches, yet he was so ruthlessly consistent in doing the opposite on the field for like, a decade.