What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hobbit

PJ

First Grade
Posted in the recent movie section but saw it Wed in NZ.

Pretty average really.

Little to no character development outside Bilbo and Thorin.

Radagast and the giants were cringeworthy and way too long.

Should have been 2 films not 3.

Rewatched LOTR many times, doubt i will watch this again.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Posted in the recent movie section but saw it Wed in NZ.

Pretty average really.

Little to no character development outside Bilbo and Thorin.

Radagast and the giants were cringeworthy and way too long.

Should have been 2 films not 3.

Rewatched LOTR many times, doubt i will watch this again.
That bad mate??? I feared the worst when i heard they were going to make 3 films, there was never enough to make 3 movies. I'll still be going and watching it though.

PJ

First Grade
Not that bad, buf imo nowhere near lotr. Visually great but the additions subtracted rather than added and the attempted comedy was poor ( Radagasf mainly)

Where lotr for me the time flies this felt long and drawn out. Could easily have trimmed a lot and other bits Like the goblin King could have been longer.

Was planning on going to see it with friends and kids boxng day but once was enough for me.

Do see it though I am sure plenty will disagree with me

LESStar58

Referee
Got tickets for opening day as X-mas presents for my Ukranian friends who are visiting. seeing it in 3d on Hoyts Maxi screen.

mackdadday

Juniors
Didnt realise that it wasnt a one off but a trilogy until i arrived at the cinema. Slow start but charmed me by the end. Not something id give a second viewing. The dwarf men have been sexied up a bit for the ladies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Saw it last night. I'm a Tolkien tragic, so I think I would love it no matter what they did to it. I liked the addition of the return of Sauron material (which is covered in the first chapter of the Lord of the Rings book, the story of the Ring and Sauron not having been conceived of when Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for his kids).

I loved the movie, but it's impossible for me to experience the same excitement and delight I did 11 years ago. That kind of childhood dream fulfilled can only happen once. The Hobbit is like a bonus second helping.

adamkungl

Immortal
Good movie but should have been half hour shorter at least. There was absolutely zero need for Frodo, old Bilbo, Galadriel, Saruman to be in this film.

abpanther

Staff member
I assume Saruman will play some part in the other films, although I haven't read the book so I have no idea.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Whoops. Misread that as Sauron. Saruman does exist in the timeline of the novel, but not as a character of import until LOTR. It's just Radagast and Gandalf from the wizarding world, isn't it?

HowHigh

Coach
Good movie but should have been half hour shorter at least. There was absolutely zero need for Frodo, old Bilbo, Galadriel, Saruman to be in this film.
Yeah some parts felt like they should have only been in the extended version when it goes to blu-ray..

I enjoyed the movie though, probably put it on par with The Fellowship Of The Rings...8.5/10

adamkungl

Immortal
Whoops. Misread that as Sauron. Saruman does exist in the timeline of the novel, but not as a character of import until LOTR. It's just Radagast and Gandalf from the wizarding world, isn't it?

Radagast is mentioned, and if I recall plays the role of informing Gandalf of the trouble in Mirkwood (but in a lot least detail, he never actually makes an appearance), I don't think Saruman ever is in The Hobbit.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I just finished the novel again and Radagast is mentioned only in reference, as is Saruman. Neither actually appear as characters.

Jackson is a master of adapting these navels to film by adding or meshing elements from some of Tolkeins other works. I enjoyed the extra elements and didn't feel it was too long, although my bladder certainly did.

Latest posts