What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hobbit

Parra

Referee
Those goblins are easier to kill than Urak-hai

WTF will Jabber the Hut being in The Hobbit?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Trailer for Desolation of Smaug just released. Looks pretty bloody exciting to me. Girls will be pleased at the Legolas sighting, geeks will be pleased at the Smaug reveal, and guys should be happy to see Evangeline Lily looking all Elfish and hot.

[youtube]TeGb5XGk2U0[/youtube]

Springs

First Grade
I was just about to put it up.

It does look exciting. Visuals looks great. As does Mirkwood and Laketown.

Apey

Staff member
Looks pretty good. Interesting to see how they pad this one out.

Springs

First Grade
Looks pretty good. Interesting to see how they pad this one out.

Pretty much shows in the trailers. Legolas and Tauriel will have their own story and Gandalf and Radagast will investigate Dol Guldor.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I was just looking into the release date of Hobbit : unexpected journey extended edition on bluray and the only version of that I can find with 3D comes with a statue and an extra $30-40 price tag.
Anyone know if the 3D version will be available with just the discs?

Springs

First Grade
Hearing some really annoying changes for this one. Was looking forward to it no end but sounds like it's about 50% made-up filler crap. A dwarf-elf romance, really? Did we really need that?

Springs

First Grade
WTF???
Honestly there could have been a good movie in there but they've added so much filler. It's clear now 2 movies should have been the maximum. About 90 minutes could have been cut from this one.
And I love Lord of the Rings, they're my favourite movies ever. I really enjoyed the first one despite it's flaws, but this one had me with my mouth open not believing the crap I was seeing. Jackson has gone full-Lucas.

- Beorn: Ruined completely. A funny scene from the book turned into just another orc chase. Beorn himself looks ridiculous and has far too little screen time for the role he plays in the next movie.
- Mirkwood: Excellent, although they cut a few scenes. Bilbo's scenes were great as were the spiders. Then it was ruined by elf ninja CGI crap.
- Barrels: Enjoyable although silly. Worst part was orcs and elves - again. Don't know why the good guys even bother to fight, invincible elf god Legolas can beat all the orcs by himself.
- Laketown: I liked the look of Laketown. Most of the scenes were good. Enjoyed the expansion of Bard's character but hated the Master's Wormtongue clone.
- Dol Guldor: I like the addition of this storyline, although I hate Azog and don't know why Sauron didn't just kill Gandalf.
- Erebor: Fantastic. Until the dwarves enter the mountain, then comes the crappiest sequence seen in a Middle Earth film. The molten gold can't melt a tin wheelbarrow yet they expect to kill a fire dragon with it? Bilbo and Smaug were great together though.
Also, hated Tauriel, absolute useless character. Falls in love with a dwarf because of a dick joke, betrays her king, friends, people and country for a dwarf she met once and then heals him by glowing and humping his leg while he says the cheesiest lines ever, despite the fact orcs were attacking the rest of the town. The looks on her face are ridiculous, she acts like a whiny rebellious teenage girl and to top it off, has eyes in the back of her head and can kill a hundred orcs without trying.
Legolas is a useless addition. All he does is fight. In there purely for silly action scenes. Thranduil however was done pretty well.
There's so many more flaws, but that's the worst of it. Dwarves being chased by an idiot dragon intercut with a lovestruck elf healing a dwarf was so, so bad.There was a good movie in there, but it's lost among all the CGI filler & love story crap. Focus on Bilbo FFS.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I thought they were only making 2 movies. I watched this thinking it was going to end lol

How they can make 3 movies out of a 300 page book is astounding.

That aside, I didn't mind the movie at all. It just looks like the 3rd is going to have to be really stretched out. I'm guessing there will just be more links to LOTR.

bileduct

Coach
This sounds like one of those movies you only go and see because it's really f**king hot and the air conditioning is broken, just like the first one.

moik

Bench
Can a mod please edit the second paragraph to a spoiler. Don't know how.
I'll preface this by saying I'm a LOTR tragic. Read the books 3 times and think the LOTR trilogy is a cinematic masterpiece. But what I just saw is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It looked like a badly acted and scripted stage play set on a billion dollar backdrop. By badly acted I mean terrible. Some of the scenes were so poorly done it's as if they were done in one take.

Spoiler.
I agree the dragon scenes were plain dumb.
My main beef with the style of screenplay is typified in the scene where the dwarfs are trying to open the door to Erebor. This is their life quest. It means everything to them. The sun sets on the stone and doesn't reveal a keyhole. They bash the wall with their axes, have a quick look for a keyhole, stomp their feet in anger and then shrug their shoulders and walk away. WTF. Have a look! Bilbo digs around and finds a keyhole. Piece of piss.

The whole thing was so poorly done I'm not even keen to see the final movie.

shiznit

Coach
I liked it... I enjoyed the lift in intensity from the first film... A lot more fighting which I enjoyed.

my parents read the book to me as a 7-8yr old as a bedtime story... So my memory of the story is pretty vague...

As such I really can't identify what was from the book and what was added in... So that helped me enjoy the story more.. I love the tie in to LOR

vvvrulz

Coach
I enjoyed it but the first Hobbit was much better.

Reasons have been talked about by others and most of them are spot on. The main problem I had also was that the first one was mostly the audience following Bilbo and experiencing his character growth. Just like following Frodo in FOTR which is why I preferred that one to any other LOTR movies.

It keeps the story engaging, flowing and easy to follow. In DoS they make the same mistake as Two Towers and throw in too many characters, too many sub plots and chop and change between them all. You aren't really following Bilbo any more and it no longer feels like *his* movie.

It was entertaining but its definitely a step down.