What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hype about Burgess is just too much and way over the top

coach

For the past month at least once a week there has been a story in the press about Sam Burgess and just how great a player he is. A lot of the hype has come from people within the club.

Well in todays telegraph we have Mark Hughes comparing Burgess to Sonny Bill Williams.

I wish everyone including those at Souths would shut up about Burgess. He is heading for a major downfall. Not because he may fail as player, but because he will not live up to all the hype that is being thrown out about him.

He is only a young bloke coming to a new country and is untested in a competition of the standard of the NRL. Give him a chance to settle in. All this stupid hype is doing is putting untold pressure on the young man. Should he fail then a lot of the blame can fall on the head of Souths.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ny-bill-williams/story-e6frexnr-1225788442979

Sam Burgess is like Sonny Bill Williams

SOUTHS recruitment boss Mark Hughes has compared his latest signing to Sonny Bill Williams.

The man who recruited Williams to the NRL, Hughes said NRL-bound Super League sensation Sam Burgess was a Sonny with the athleticism of Adrian Morley and the skill of Darren Britt.

"It was like watching Sonny play for the first time when I first laid eyes on him,'' Hughes said.

"He was only 18 and of course he is different to Sonny but he has the same type of potential.

"Sam is your traditional front-rower but he has the athleticism of a Morley but bigger and the subtlety of a Darren Britt.

"He has a beautiful off-load, good skills and an ability to pass the football.
"That is the package we are bringing to Souths.''

Already touted by some as "the best prop in the world'', Burgess will join Roy Asotasi, Dave Taylor and Ben Ross in what is shaping as the game's best front-row roster. And Souths can thank Leeds for helping them snare the Bradford bookend.

"I was very lucky to have been told about him when he was young by the Leeds recruitment boss,'' Hughes said.

"He knew who the best kids were and he just said 'wait until you see this lad play'.

"I couldn't believe the ability I was seeing when I did watch him play.

"We just can't wait until we get him to Redfern.''

Ike E Bear

Juniors
It is a little over the top, but he is probably the most exciting import into the competition next year and there's not much else to talk about right now.

It'd be good if the comments coming out of Souths were more confidence-building ("this kid is talented and will be a great success once he settles into the team and NRL") and less pressure-building. Most players need time to settle into a new team, let alone a new country and a new competition.

I tend to agree a bit Coach,I surprised Mark Hughes has made public his comments this morning,but then again Mark Hughes knows more about players ability than myself.If Burgess has a big four nations,the expectations for next season will multiply ten fold.

JetRider

Juniors
I tend to agree with the view that the added pressure is not a good thing, though we have to admit that it is producing some good media attention for Souths.

The expectation building will provide good base for our recruitment campaiign and early home crowds. lets all hope that the kid settles in quickly and our team takes advantage to all of this.

Its a little about us talking him up and probably more about the DT and ARL trying to create some interest in the upcoming tests.

Don't think that the ARL care why people tune into the tests, as long as people tune in. It will die down once this upcoming series is over.

It is a bit much at the moment though isn't it?

Dave Q

Coach
Im riding with the Burgess-is-a-superstar-blokes to escape the glib world of nuffie signings.

And this is some ride fellas, I dont want it to end!

Adrain Morley was so far out in front of every other forward in the game, it was just stupid making comparisons.

And they say that Sam is infinitely better than Moz at the same stage of his career.

Dave Taylor and Sam Burgess will change the mentality and performance of entire pack.

Imagine Luke Stuart not being able to get a start. Imagine a player like Geddes, who has gone from zero being in the top 45% of all players not being able to get a start.

The brilliant Roy Asotasi, Kiwi superstar, looks like a piece of drying boiled cabbage beside these guys.

I may be going to hell coach, but Im doing so with a smile on my face.

This 2010 Souths pack has the potential to one of the greatest ever to play together in the entire history of the game. Tallis must be salivating like a St Bernard in a BBQ pork shop.

On paper, they cannot be dominanted, they will never be bettered, its impossible. World Peace and a fair go for the Australian working person is more likely.

No more fear kids, imagine that. We dont have to cringe or hide when we are hitting the ball up.

This pack must have the entire NRL trembling. Whom in their right mind would take them on as matter of life or death?

Opposing teams will be crabbing and slinking around like frightened guinea pigs before them.

A decent blow by Sam or Dave is a near-death experience. Against them, a week-long concussion will be considered as "injury free" game.

So jump in lads, strap yourselves in real tight, cos we aint got no brakes.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
The special ones can handle it.

:lol: Classic.

lads:-

Forum secret but the absolute truth:-

In real life, SSTID is as cool a guy as they come.

A meteorite would be heading for earth with 15 seconds until impact and the oblivion of all life on this planet....and in his mind, he'd probably be wondering whether we took the right attacking option in the final 3 minutes of round 14, 1996 and whether our fullback should have moved 4.5 metres to the south east of the hooker.

And hes far too young (and my missus says, good-looking) to be a legend.

Last edited:

Isaaxe

Juniors
I am totally excited about Taylor and Burgess joining our forward pack for 2010.

I believe that Roy Asotasi will benefit in a major way. Whilst the focus is off him - watch Roy to wreak absolute havoc in 2010. Roy may play the way he did in 2004 with The Bulldogs.

Also Tyrell and Pettybourne may even go to the next level. If anyone saw the 2009 Charity Shield you shall recall the copybook tackles Tyrell made.

Pettybourne would be the 1st player in the year 2010 that I would want to sign again. And then the salary cap presssures will begin as we will not be able to keep all the players we want.

Sugar

Bench
The hype will die off after the test series and all will be fine fir the season start
at least the topic of Sam is keeping league in the headlines for the right reasons.

After the dramas of sad Sunday and all the negative press Souths are highlighting the positives, just before Xmas we will get a puff piece about how well Taylor is adapting to Sydney life.

At least no one has cursed him the next Peter sterling >J.Williams,T.Smith

Sugar

Bench
And ffs Sugar, roll on the burgeo hysteria.

Souths 2010 all systems go.

Some of us will not be able to cope with all the hype and a strong line up for 2010 all systems go.

I may have to go into hiding until we get some bad headlines and lose a few games then remind you all it's managements fault, how will I get by?

Dave Q

Coach
Some of us will not be able to cope with all the hype and a strong line up for 2010 all systems go.

I may have to go into hiding until we get some bad headlines and lose a few games then remind you all it's managements fault, how will I get by?

:lol:

Indeed my good man.

The shock of having a genuinely competitive side will prove itself to be a somewhat of a novelty to us all!

You couldnt blame anyone for feeling a touch uncomfortable with it. :p

Sugar

Bench
:lol:

Indeed my good man.

The shock of having a genuinely competitive side will prove itself to be a somewhat of a novelty to us all!

You couldnt blame anyone for feeling a touch uncomfortable with it. :p
Wow Dave i just noticed your approaching 10k posts.

You will go down as a Souths legend and leader of the pack in such a short career.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
:lol: Classic.

lads:-

Forum secret but the absolute truth:-

In real life, SSTID is as cool a guy as they come.

A meteorite would be heading for earth with 15 seconds until impact and the oblivion of all life on this planet....and in his mind, he'd probably be wondering whether we took the right attacking option in the final 3 minutes of round 14, 1996 and whether our fullback should have moved 4.5 metres to the south east of the hooker.

And hes far too young (and my missus says, good-looking) to be a legend.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are something else Dave.

Dave Q

Coach
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are something else Dave.

:cool: Enjoy it while you have it son.

In my days of glory as a young man, I scored a few jobs here and there modelling and acting.

Of course nothing on film that would allow me to actually speak. Those gigs were reserved for people who could actually remember a sentance.

That took me out of the big league.

I remember it was the mid 1990's and I'd scored a lead role as an extra in a television ad.

I played the role of a construction builder at a work site.

They dressed me up (made me grubby), even gave me a helmet to wear to help me look the part. I stood there with my arms crossed looking fierce and critical for several takes. It was hard and thirsty work.

I was at the height of my creative powers lads.

I was on my way to fame and fortune. I could have later bought a part of the non-core assetts of the SSDRLFC. The sky was the limit.

And I remember getting paid a small fortune for it.

Regrettably, when I saw the ad, they'd cut me out. I was spewing. I was going to ring my agent when I remembered..... that I didnt actually have one.

Then I got a real job and became old and ugly.

So make the most of it SSTID!

Latest posts