What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN THE NRL.

IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN NRL

• Total voters

CQLeaguey

Juniors
Funnily enough, it's only been Melbourne V Penrith twice, ever.. not sure how you get sick of those two, separately different story
Yep melbs and/or Penrith in every grand final since 2016 bar one. Grand final let alone finals. For me 2024 not that interesting. I mean good on them that is incredibly successful. But the worry is it’s not incredible, it’s becoming normal.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yep melbs and/or Penrith in every grand final since 2016 bar one. Grand final let alone finals. For me 2024 not that interesting. I mean good on them that is incredibly successful. But the worry is it’s not incredible, it’s becoming normal.
Not incredible hahahaha pull ya head in

Colk

First Grade
Those three teams only wn coz they are running their club better than most, Penrith were never one if the better run clubs, there was other clubs that were either winning (manly, bulldogs) that were more prominent in that period, success is cyclical, and the better run clubs just now how to stay relevant, culling the competition doesn't mean it will change that, it'll make it more evident that the Roosters and storm have a higher percentage of staying up there

By saying that success is definitely cyclical you are implying a passivity that isn’t there. It’s a physics term in essence - the idea that time isn’t an arrow for example. It’s like me saying that wealth is cyclical - unless you get lucky or you are completely negligent it’s not generally.

Also that’s why I said explicitly to get rid of the salary cap. If it’s all down well managed clubs then you shouldn’t prevent the wealthiest clubs from winning by virtue of a salary cap (if you actually believe it works that is)

Colk

First Grade
For a neutral to watch its boring, for a rugby league lover, it should be pinnacle that the best sides in the comp make it, colk wants a pass the flag comp, like afl

It should be but it isn’t. As I said reduce the competition and you’ll get a better competition. You are not wasting spots or teams.

Colk

First Grade

Exactly.

Colk

First Grade
So the dolphins have made the competition peak expansion.... colk ffs please

They have been in there for 2 years. Has the game got better in that time or worse? I couldn’t say that it has got better. Now take that one club and bring in three more without a seemingly good idea or plan to bring them in and then tell me how you think it is going to go.

MugaB

Coach
They have been in there for 2 years. Has the game got better in that time or worse? I couldn’t say that it has got better. Now take that one club and bring in three more without a seemingly good idea or plan to bring them in and then tell me how you think it is going to go.
Again it's your bias opinion that says you are thinking the drop in quality, you obviously want a game with less or no 6agains, back to the wrestling tactics, and as for expansion, there's no evidence more teams will create more blowouts, as you said before the 90s had teams that were getting blown away regardless of the amount of teams in the comp..
You want a even comp, well you need all clubs to be run well, that will never happen, there will always be a loser, always have a coach sacked for not reaching the tasks set out by their board, there will always be a wooden spooner, there will always be a club like the Roosters picking the eyes out of clubs like the Raiders, regardless of salary caps or not

Colk

First Grade
Again it's your bias opinion that says you are thinking the drop in quality, you obviously want a game with less or no 6agains, back to the wrestling tactics, and as for expansion, there's no evidence more teams will create more blowouts, as you said before the 90s had teams that were getting blown away regardless of the amount of teams in the comp..
You want a even comp, well you need all clubs to be run well, that will never happen, there will always be a loser, always have a coach sacked for not reaching the tasks set out by their board, there will always be a wooden spooner, there will always be a club like the Roosters picking the eyes out of clubs like the Raiders, regardless of salary caps or not

You keep going around in circles mate because you keep missing the point. The point made wasn’t on an individual year etc, the point is you are seeing the same sides up the top every year and it has been the same way for the last twenty odd years. Again, though, if that’s what people want then that’s fine but if that is what people want then the competition needs to reduce and you need to get rid of the salary cap. There is no need for the size of the competition and you need to get rid of the deadwood. If they can’t compete, then they don’t compete.

Btw I think my side punches well above its weight. I don’t think we can ever win a competition under its current arrangement nor do I think any regional side can. That’s due to a couple of factors like demographics, decline in country football and third party dealings.

reanimate

Bench
Super Rugby was at its peak when it had less sides. They went downhill as soon as they started expanding. I would say the same with Rugby League in the 90’s and A-League about 10-15 years ago. AFL has also had trouble with the last two.

You will hit a point where expansion becomes a negative and actually damages the competition.
I wouldn’t say expansion on its own sent Super Rugby on a downhill spiral, how they went about it definitely contributed. The provincial/state-based model didn’t work very well for Australia, they would have been better off having a 2nd NSW team and potentially a 2nd QLD team before going to WA and Victoria. Then adding teams that no one really wanted or cared about, like the Japanese and Argentinian teams, greatly added to costs without generating much excitement or desire to see them among Australian Union fans.

There are always going to be bad teams, or teams like that feel like they’re never in with a chance, going to a 12 or 14 team comp isn’t going to change that.

People are eager for more NRL content, despite some teams turning in poor performances year-after-year, we just had a record season for viewership and attendance.

Latest posts