What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

yobbo84

Coach
Apparently after Wighton told the club, he didn't even get the chance to inform his team mates before the Raiders went to the media

Peak pettiness lol

yobbo84

Coach

The 2020 premiership winner says he took a $200,000 pay cut to join Robinson and his roster, saying the Dolphins were willing to confirm a massive salary beyond his negotiations with the Chooks and Storm.

'No word of a lie, the Roosters’ offer was the lowest of all the clubs I spoke to. I promise you I’ve taken $200,000 less than the Dolphins and $100,000 less than the Storm offered,' said Smith.

I don't remember a 'probe' after this....

Knight76

Juniors
The NRL used to have a blurb on their website specifically relating to the salary cap stating players can sign with a club for less due to a better coach or premiership chance.

So good luck Raiders. I wouldnt expect much of the NRL tbh.

An exercise in looking like they did all they can more than anything else.

Newcastle has lost players to clubs apparently paying less.

Cant expect the NRL to actually enforce their own policies surely.

You can just tell that this started when Jack wasn't happy with with Raiders indigenous jersey. I can just imagine him on the phone with Latrell having a whinge:
"They didn't put enough aboriginal patterns on the sleeves Trell!"
Latrell: "What!? That's just straight disrespect. Come to Souffs brah. We are the indigenous club."

Simple Jack then informs his management to get the deal done.

skeepe

Immortal

They would have done the same check with the Smith contract that they'll do with Wighton's deal. This is just a face-saving exercise by the club to mitigate against the impression that someone who has been here for over 10 years would basically pay $1 million to get away because he doesn't believe in what we're doing here.

soc123_au

Staff member

Not for a minute am I suggesting he wont get a round of golf with Uncle Nick, but he was behind Harry Grant for his prefered position. The complex one is taking a much bigger haircut and losing his preferred position. Not really the same thing.

yobbo84

Coach
Question - are Souths really that stacked to warrant such fuss?

Look at the backs in Souths' current Top 30.

Fullbacks:
Latrell Mitchell - Genuine import on top dollar
Blake Taaffe - signed as Flegg player, last re-signed before first grade debut
Terrell Kalo Kalo - current Flegg player

Outside backs:
Alex Johnston - initially wasn't wanted by the club and had to take a lower deal to re-sign with us
Isaiah Tass - signed from reserve grade for minimal dollars
Campbell Graham - local junior who last re-signed 3 years ago and wouldn't have cost much at the time. Will need a significant upgrade in his next contract
Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson - signed from nowhere having not played league in 5 years for probably minimum wage
Taane Milne - journeyman signed from the Warriors lower grades
Josiah Karapani - current Flegg player
Leon Te Hau - current Flegg player

Halves:
Cody Walker - signed as a reserve grader, latest contract would be on top dollar
Lachlan Ilias - signed from the Tigers as a Flegg player, re-signed last year, wouldn't be on big dollars
Dean Hawkins - local junior, current reserve grader

Currently Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker would be the only ones on big money. Alex Johnston and Campbell Graham on mid-sized deals, with Campbell Graham to be on big money on his next contract.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Question - are Souths really that stacked to warrant such fuss?

Look at the backs in Souths' current Top 30.

Fullbacks:
Latrell Mitchell - Genuine import on top dollar
Blake Taaffe - signed as Flegg player, last re-signed before first grade debut
Terrell Kalo Kalo - current Flegg player

Outside backs:
Alex Johnston - initially wasn't wanted by the club and had to take a lower deal to re-sign with us
Isaiah Tass - signed from reserve grade for minimal dollars
Campbell Graham - local junior who last re-signed 3 years ago and wouldn't have cost much at the time. Will need a significant upgrade in his next contract
Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson - signed from nowhere having not played league in 5 years for probably minimum wage
Taane Milne - journeyman signed from the Warriors lower grades
Josiah Karapani - current Flegg player
Leon Te Hau - current Flegg player

Halves:
Cody Walker - signed as a reserve grader, latest contract would be on top dollar
Lachlan Ilias - signed from the Tigers as a Flegg player, re-signed last year, wouldn't be on big dollars
Dean Hawkins - local junior, current reserve grader

Currently Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker would be the only ones on big money. Alex Johnston and Campbell Graham on mid-sized deals, with Campbell Graham to be on big money on his next contract.
So you haven't been to market for the past few years, but suddenly have this war chest that has been hiding under the bed. If it was there previously, it would have been spent before now.

GF, prelims last few years but can understand you have all these players on Flegg money.

yobbo84

Coach
So you haven't been to market for the past few years, but suddenly have this war chest that has been hiding under the bed. If it was there previously, it would have been spent before now.

GF, prelims last few years but can understand you have all these players on Flegg money.
Do you want to counter anything I wrote or just whinge further?

yobbo84

Coach
I remember when Glenn Stewart had to leave Manly as Souths offered more $$

"Market value" and all that....only ever seems to work for some clubs.
Souths had to shed an extra player both times when Greg Inglis signed (Beau Champion), and Sam Burgess on return from Rugby (Chris McQueen), due to the NRL and their "notional value" whatever, even though we were under the cap.

Eels couldn't sign Folau due to "notional value" BS and being unable to shed a player.

There's no rhyme or reason as to how it's applied, other than the media having a sook.

yobbo84

Coach
So what you’re saying is Souths are actually not even that good and Simple Jack moving to such a middling team to win a comp was not a great decision?
I'm saying that, as a good club, we're maximising the potential of all our players who are (mostly) playing above their pay grade.

Develop your local juniors, make astute lower grade "moneyball" style purchases, and then pick the top players to throw money at every 3 or 4 seasons.

mave

Coach
Souths had to shed an extra player both times when Greg Inglis signed (Beau Champion), and Sam Burgess on return from Rugby (Chris McQueen), due to the NRL and their "notional value" whatever, even though we were under the cap.

Eels couldn't sign Folau due to "notional value" BS and being unable to shed a player.

There's no rhyme or reason as to how it's applied, other than the media having a sook.

Imagine using losing Beau Champion for Inglis, Chris McQueen for Burgess as some sort of example of doing it tough.

They were both massive upgrades.

Latest posts