What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

nick87

Coach
It's probably the best shot for the little clubs like ours.
Every once in a while clubs like ours can produce a Dugan/Carney/Mullen level talent in the spine positions but i dont think the Raiders have anyone that will be a genuine quality half at the club right now... think they might have themselves a good fullback prospect, hooker could be solved if Treviylan can ever get and stay healthy but in the halves, its a bare cupboard, so yeah it's kind of the best (and really only) option available to us.

nick87

Coach
Joey Manu -5%
He'd never come, he's been offered a truck load of money to go to other clubs and always knock them back... but i'd offer him 4 years 6m to come and play 5/8th... he'll say no, but i'd make the offer and make him say no

Think he'd be one of the best players in the world as a fulltime 5/8th

Special K

Coach
Souths have done the Raiders a solid here. 1.1 or whatever is madness for him. 800k feels right but fishy given the bigger offers and his age. The Raiders should study Souths jnrs and hand pick 3-4 of the best for the same cash. Or go hunt a Koloamatangi/Graham who can talk to teams in 6 months and look elsewhere for a young half. Call Ilias every day to to break his deal. More joy than asking the NRL to prove you right.

Wighton should have spent his career in the centres but Sticky loved him and built a team around him at 6 which allowed him to show "utility value" for rep teams. Bloke is tough sure but he is not a top tier 6. Top tier centre? Absolutely. Wighton at Souths will be interesting. Adding him to the mix with grumps who have never won together/been wrong in their life like Mitchell, Walker and co is just going to be hilarious. Souths depth is going to be tested especially in year 2 of the deal.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Jack Wighton is the best worst player ever,pretty good but pretty disgusting at the same time,sometimes delicous and sometiems vomit inducing,all in all you have to say he's a tremendous disgrace

nick87

Coach
Koloamatangi would be a great get for us
If we can parlay this into a young half to replace Wighton and build the club around and a guy like him as an edge forward, that's going to really improve the team

Ilias is a good shout. Tell his his agent he can have the Wighton deal. 4 years, 4.4m
See if that gets some movement.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Jack Wighton is the best worst player ever,pretty good but pretty disgusting at the same time,sometimes delicous and sometiems vomit inducing,all in all you have to say he's a tremendous disgrace
This is why he’s not Simple Jack, but Complex Jack. Harder to understand than String Theory.

skeepe

Immortal
Imagine going into the room with your coach and team and saying "yeah, I'm going to South Sydney to win a premiership".

*because you lot can't do it*

Big oof
Yeah that’s the thing that gets me. Can’t imagine the rest of the squad are going to be too excited to play with him the rest of the season.

There’s a million different ways Jack could have spun going to Souths, and he literally chose the worst option.

Special K

Coach
Ilias is a good shout. Tell his his agent he can have the Wighton deal. 4 years, 4.4m
See if that gets some movement.
This is where Souths have done themselves imo. Graham, Koloamatangi off then Ilias the year after. Sure you can try sell these guys on Walker, Cook etc retiring in 2026 but contracts are up in year 1/24 and year 2/25? Also now the Raiders have 1 million bucks sunk into next year for Wighton year 1 of Souths plan. Ilias would be on what? 300k? 400k? next year? I have NFI. But imagine the Raiders tell Anasta they would pay him 800-900k next year going up the next 4 years. As if he would turn down a 4.4 deal!? FMD.

Souths are banking on "culture" to keep everyone together but it is a huge leap of faith considering an aging roster with so many youngsters coming through. Graham, Koloamatangi etc will be more important than Wighton, Walker in 2025. Sure the cap goes up but you just made the bed.

nick87

Coach
the raiders offered 900k for Fifita when they anticipated having Wighton on the books for 900k too
and Jarrod Croker and Jordan Rapana are not expected to be at the club next year... Croker himself was on significant money...

All ends up, i'd say the Raiders have at least 2m to spend right now for 2024. That's a lot of scratch. The question i would ask of the NRL is who wants to be rich? We've got money to burn.

King-Gutho94

Coach
the raiders offered 900k for Fifita when they anticipated having Wighton on the books for 900k too
and Jarrod Croker and Jordan Rapana are not expected to be at the club next year... Croker himself was on significant money...

All ends up, i'd say the Raiders have at least 2m to spend right now for 2024. That's a lot of scratch. The question i would ask of the NRL is who wants to be rich? We've got money to burn.
Luke Brooks is looking for a contract