What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

Wb1234

Referee
Do the raiders stick with Stuart after this ? Dunno maybe they need a change

attracting players is a major issue for them

if wighton was going this year it would probably mean a premiership for south’s

his performances at origin have been exemplary

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Souths have become an attractive club to go to, credit to them for that.

Canberra aren't attractive atm because of a certain coach that everyone bar the Canberra board and News Limited league journalists recognise as a hopeless, angry man who will never win another premiership.

I'm sad to see Jack go but the reason he is going should send shivers up the raiders management spine: he knows he won't win a comp under ridiculous Ricky.

Abd f**k you autocorrect who makes me edit my posts more often than gabba.

yobbo84

Coach
Imagine using losing Beau Champion for Inglis, Chris McQueen for Burgess as some sort of example of doing it tough.

They were both massive upgrades.
No shit. That's not the point, though. The point is we didn't have to shed anyone at all, save for the NRL coming in for unknown reasons.

It's fun to complain about the cap but the truth is some clubs are just run better than others.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Do you want to counter anything I wrote or just whinge further?
I think every fan of other clubs can smell a rat. We have been successful and losing players as a consequence, so be it. You are looking at only 1/2 the picture. Geez, in that case the Dolphins should be able to sign the entire SOO backline given who they have in their backs.

Keep telling yourself that there won't be bloodshed as a consequence and that fitting Jack in won't affect your roster.

Exsilium

Coach
Dragons and tigers, is there any chance of a last ditch play for wighton? 🙏

I don't think money is the motivation. Rather it is to play in a new system and have a chance of being competitive weekly.

If anything, his departure should wave red flags about the Canberra system. If you can't keep a bloke with a good monetary offer, who's made his name with your club, there's an issue.

I think he's a great centre and if he plays there, he will return to his best and not have to the pressure of being the sole playmaker with vision.

Similarly with Burton. He's a great centre and while he's a top half at the dogs, he's a centre without doubt.

some11

Referee
You can just tell that this started when Jack wasn't happy with with Raiders indigenous jersey. I can just imagine him on the phone with Latrell having a whinge:
"They didn't put enough aboriginal patterns on the sleeves Trell!"
Latrell: "What!? That's just straight disrespect. Come to Souffs brah. We are the indigenous club."

Simple Jack then informs his management to get the deal done.
Cope

Souths have a good team and coach. That's why he's leaving for less.

yobbo84

Coach
I think every fan of other clubs can smell a rat. We have been successful and losing players as a consequence, so be it. You are looking at only 1/2 the picture. Geez, in that case the Dolphins should be able to sign the entire SOO backline given who they have in their backs.

Keep telling yourself that there won't be bloodshed as a consequence and that fitting Jack in won't affect your roster.
You think Souths success (despite lack of a premiership) has meant we haven't had to lose players?

Since our first prelim of our last 5 in a row we've lost: Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis, Adam Reynolds, John Sutton, Dane Gagai, Angus Crichton, Jaydn Su'A, Benji Marshall, George Burgess, Adam Doueihi, Mark Nicholls, Jaxson Paulo, Corey Allan, Bayley Sironen, Hymel Hunt, Ethan Lowe, Kodi Nikorima... and more.

Every single one of those players have played in one or more of our prelims in the past 5 seasons.

When we lost generational talent (Inglis, Burgess) we went out and bought a gun replacement (Mitchell, Arrow). Pretty much every other player we've lost we've replaced internally or a lower grade purchase.

We'll handle whatever happens just fine, as we have these past 5 years.

mongoose

Coach
I don't think money is the motivation. Rather it is to play in a new system and have a chance of being competitive weekly.

If anything, his departure should wave red flags about the Canberra system. If you can't keep a bloke with a good monetary offer, who's made his name with your club, there's an issue.

I think he's a great centre and if he plays there, he will return to his best and not have to the pressure of being the sole playmaker with vision.

Similarly with Burton. He's a great centre and while he's a top half at the dogs, he's a centre without doubt.
Jack is struggling at 5/8, has been for the past 2 seasons and I think he knows it. Most people know it except our stupid coach. Souths can probably win a premiership in the next 2-3 years. Jack probably thinks he has a chance to jag a premiership and not play with the pressure of being a playmaker.

Exsilium

Coach
Jack is struggling at 5/8, has been for the past 2 seasons and I think he knows it. Most people know it except our stupid coach. Souths can probably win a premiership in the next 2-3 years. Jack probably thinks he has a chance to jag a premiership and not play with the pressure of being a playmaker.

Agree with a lot of this.

He is absolute gun at centre and the modern NRL 5/8 only needs to be a good distributor and runner.

I think the modern day centre is criminally underrated. In the right structure, they can open sides up.

We all loathed Will Chambers but his style of play was and is what the NRL centre needs to do. Create space, run good lines and be able to kick behind the line.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Prayers for the lawn chairs of Canberra. Ricky is cross, and has the keys to club statements.
“As a club, we believe the current contracting system where players can sign well out from the end of their current contract is flawed. It is not fair to you who I see as our major stakeholders, the club, and as importantly the players. I know it would have been hard for you, our Raiders fans, because I know what the feeling was like for me, to see an image of Jack in a Souths jersey (digitally altered) on the back page of a Sydney paper today.”

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
Souths have become an attractive club to go to, credit to them for that.

Canberra aren't attractive atm because of a certain coach that everyone bar the Canberra board and News Limited league journalists recognise as a hopeless, angry man who will never win another premiership.

I'm sad to see Jack go but the reason he is going should send shivers up the raiders management spine: he knows he won't win a comp under ridiculous Ricky.

Abd f**k you autocorrect who makes me edit my posts more often than gabba.
Location probably doesn't help either.

Like if you had the choice to live in either Sydney or Canberra most would pick Sydney.

I think what Canberra is missing atm is the stockpile of local juniors from the country similar to Penrith.

Where have they all gone they won the under20s in 2008 with mostly home grown talent who grew up down in Canberra or in the catchment southern Riverina/highlands.

But they don’t seem to have the same line of production atm.

This Year?

Immortal
It's going to be hard watching Jack in a high pressure moment in a Preliminary or Grand Final in 2024 or 2025.

Wb1234

Referee
Location probably doesn't help either.

Like if you had the choice to live in either Sydney or Canberra most would pick Sydney.

I think what Canberra is missing atm is the stockpile of local juniors from the country similar to Penrith.

Where have they all gone they won the under20s in 2008 with mostly home grown talent who grew up down in Canberra or in the catchment southern Riverina/highlands.

But they don’t seem to have the same line of production atm.
Better salary cap exemptions for juniors would solve Canberra’s problems

they have a huge junior base

an extra 1 million In salary cap exemptions over the bludger clubs will help them keep their juniors

Frailty

First Grade
Better salary cap exemptions for juniors would solve Canberra’s problems

they have a huge junior base

an extra 1 million In salary cap exemptions over the bludger clubs will help them keep their juniors
I mean, when we are literally talking about a player leaving for less money, the idea of salary cap exemption isn't exactly going to help Canberra's case here.

No doubt there are challenges for Canberra's recruitment and retention, but I don't think a salary cap exemption is necessarily the best solution. I think a bigger factor is the culture at the club, which - from an outsider's perspective - is happy with mediocrity and keeping "old boys" around.

Latest posts