What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

Woody90

Juniors
This will probably end up being more of a blessing for the Raiders, but might take a few years to see it.

They’re out of a premiership window now and probably wouldn’t have been in one for the remainder of Wighton’s career anyway. They’re better using the money to throw at some young stars to build to the future.

That’s if they can get anyone there which will be the struggle. Highlights a massive issue in the comp where the teams out of big cities are always going to struggle to attract talent which again makes it harder for them to compete, and Canberra are definitely the most disadvantaged there (probably followed by the Knights and NQ). If Canberra were in Sydney and able to easily attract top players I really don’t think the club would be this worked up about losing Wighton. The fact that he’s even mentioned in the million dollar club really highlights how hard it is for them to recruit and retain anyone.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Nrl refused to register turiqi at south’s for 200k

they could assess the 800k pa as way under and make him under the cap at market value

What is market value? We are talking a player in his 30's on the decline in that case $800k seems fair

Canard

Immortal
Souths had to shed an extra player both times when Greg Inglis signed (Beau Champion), and Sam Burgess on return from Rugby (Chris McQueen), due to the NRL and their "notional value" whatever, even though we were under the cap.

Eels couldn't sign Folau due to "notional value" BS and being unable to shed a player.

There's no rhyme or reason as to how it's applied, other than the media having a sook.

That will do me.

Souths had to lose Beau Champion to sign Greg Inglis.

The adversity.

Iamback

Coach
I think it's probably higher than 90%

Kent is actually correct in saying the deal smells, but the way he carries on like a raving lunatic, and the fact he's best mates with sticky makes anything he says impossible to look at objectively, even though in this instance he's correct.

Didn't Wighton say he wanted to "test the market"? First time I've seen a player test the market, and take a significantly lower price than what he was offered.

I get that he wants to play with Mitchell, and Souths do have a large indigenous presence within the community, so maybe that's another thing which attracted him to the club, but I haven't seen too many players in my time take such significant unders

There is off field stuff too, If an indigenous organisation has offered a post footy job.

Throw in wanting to get into Real Estate or something than leaving a couple hundred grand on the table is no big deal.

Raiders problem is Canberra is a shit hole, cold weather, no beaches and very little corporate money. Unless a country guy wants to stay local then they lose out in these situations.

The other regional clubs have the same issues just better weather

Canard

Immortal
Does anyone actually believe that Brandon Smith and Jack Wighton are taking 30% less salary to join the Roosters and Souths?

Does anyone actually believe that Brandon Smith and Jack Wighton are taking 30% less salary to join the Roosters and Souths?
In Smith’s case, he wasn’t top dog like Jack was at Raiders, he was also being outshone by Grant and in the end he took a 100k under what he was getting at Storm. What’s hard to believe? Dolphins offered more but they were a new club and nobody thought they’d go as well as they currently are. If he had a crystal ball, he may have preferred to go there on bigger dollars.

Canard

Immortal
So it seems that Souths and Roosters fans are convinced players take less to play for their clubs.

As with all sports, this sort of things are a risk (salary cap busting or not).

Wighton could very well turn out to be dud, and f**k Souths cap for years to come. So far Cheese has provided pretty limited returns for his fat paycheque also, but its still to early to call him a bust.

So it seems that Souths and Roosters fans are convinced players take less to play for their clubs.

Wighton could very well turn out to be dud, and f**k Souths cap for years to come. So far Cheese has provided pretty limited returns for his fat paycheque also, but its still to early to call him a bust.
If Koroisau could have his time again, do you think he’d still go to the Tigers? I agree with the rest of your post btw.

yobbo84

Coach
Here's an excerpt from the Raiders press release when Wighton last re-signed with them in 2020:

“Jack could have earnt more money by signing with another club but sacrificed that against what we have here in Canberra. He took much less money to stay and that says a lot about Jack and his stability here.”

So now they have a problem with a player signing for less? Or could you say Jack has a history showing it's not all about money for him?

Perhaps Furner and Stuart need to ask why so many big name Raiders have left the club the past 2 years...

Munky

Coach

Cheese has played his entire club career with a QLD incumbent as the primary hooker.

Was never worth star spine player money since he's really an impact player.

johns_reds

First Grade
Not sure why all the backlash over this guy signing for Souths, 800k is big bucks, this will probably ruin Souths Cap for the next 4 years, who pays a center 800k? Unless they are planning to shaft Walker so this guy can play five-eighth?

This will probably end up being more of a blessing for the Raiders, but might take a few years to see it.

They’re out of a premiership window now and probably wouldn’t have been in one for the remainder of Wighton’s career anyway. They’re better using the money to throw at some young stars to build to the future.

That’s if they can get anyone there which will be the struggle. Highlights a massive issue in the comp where the teams out of big cities are always going to struggle to attract talent which again makes it harder for them to compete, and Canberra are definitely the most disadvantaged there (probably followed by the Knights and NQ). If Canberra were in Sydney and able to easily attract top players I really don’t think the club would be this worked up about losing Wighton. The fact that he’s even mentioned in the million dollar club really highlights how hard it is for them to recruit and retain anyone.

As Mark Geyer said on Triple M, the Raiders need to work their junior development better and try and emulate what the Panthers have done. I mean they have a largish catchment area and need to work it. Reason clubs like mine go looking to recruit outside is that we have the smallest junior recruitment catchment out of all NRL clubs. Yes you can't recruit all players from outside, but with better junior development, it means you can be far more targetted in whom you chase.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Not sure why all the backlash over this guy signing for Souths, 800k is big bucks, this will probably ruin Souths Cap for the next 4 years, who pays a center 800k? Unless they are planning to shaft Walker so this guy can play five-eighth?
I reckon Souths are hedging all for a premiership while their window is open and are happy with temporary carnage post that. I think they will be looking at what's happening with Penrith (obvious loss of players post success) and think "well, f**k it".

Hopefully Canberra are petty AF and go after some souths juniors. I want to watch media storms, broken lawn chairs, coaches being fined, and bitchy gronk journalist drama.

Best case, Souths and Raiders both implode. Haha.

Here's an excerpt from the Raiders press release when Wighton last re-signed with them in 2020:

So now they have a problem with a player signing for less? Or could you say Jack has a history showing it's not all about money for him?

Perhaps Furner and Stuart need to ask why so many big name Raiders have left the club the past 2 years...
Lol you sound more like us everyday, Yob. Welcome to the dark side. Cocktails at 7?

yobbo84

Coach
I reckon Souths are hedging all for a premiership while their window is open and are happy with temporary carnage post that. I think they will be looking at what's happening with Penrith (obvious loss of players post success) and think "well, f**k it".

Hopefully Canberra are petty AF and go after some souths juniors. I want to watch media storms, broken lawn chairs, coaches being fined, and bitchy gronk journalist drama.

Best case, Souths and Raiders both implode. Haha.
Again - we've been a final 4 side 5 years in a row and have already gone through two rounds of 'loss of players due to success'.

In the 4 years since we made our first of those prelims we've lost the following side:

1. Greg Inglis
2. Corey Allan
3. Dane Gagai
4. Adam Doueihi
5. Jaxson Paulo
6. Benji Marshall
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Kodi Nikorima
10. Mark Nicholls
11. John Sutton
12. Angus Crichton
13. Sam Burgess

14. Jaydn Su'A
15. Bayley Sironen
16. Ethan Lowe
17. Hymel Hunt

We've replaced them with 2 big name imports (Mitchell and Arrow) and then the rest has been internal development and lower grade purchases.

Souths are run far too well to implode like the lesser clubs.

As for the Panthers? Their junior setup/production line will ensure success for years to come.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Again - we've been a final 4 side 5 years in a row and have already gone through two rounds of 'loss of players due to success'.

In the 4 years since we made our first of those prelims we've lost the following side:

1. Greg Inglis
2. Corey Allan
3. Dane Gagai
4. Adam Doueihi
5. Jaxson Paulo
6. Benji Marshall
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Kodi Nikorima
10. Mark Nicholls
11. John Sutton
12. Angus Crichton
13. Sam Burgess

14. Jaydn Su'A
15. Bayley Sironen
16. Ethan Lowe
17. Hymel Hunt

We've replaced them with 2 big name imports (Mitchell and Arrow) and then the rest has been internal development and lower grade purchases.

Souths are run far too well to implode like the lesser clubs.

As for the Panthers? Their junior setup/production line will ensure success for years to come.
We GeT iT! You've died on this hill like 18 times now. As for imploding, that's just hopes and dreams.