What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

skeepe

Immortal
I’m not too worried. He’s never tested himself on the open market, and since he’s signed his last contract he’s won a Dally M medal and a World Cup with Australia.

Do I hope he stays? Absolutely. He’s the face of the Raiders and probably my favourite current player.

Does the fact we’ve gone back to the Matt Frawley well - again - with Wighton suspended terrify me? Absolutely, because it means we have done no succession planning, so if he leaves we’ll be up shit creek without a paddle.

But let’s be realistic. He’s just turned 30 so this is going to be his last big payday in rugby league you would think. I’m a firm believer that players should extract every cent they can out of their short careers.

He’s given us some great memories. Sure, the club stood by him in some tough times, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking his talent didn’t have anything to do with that. They’ve sacked players for less. He’s done the right thing by the club in getting it out in the open nice and early and not stringing them along, which is more than you can say for some.

So if he does go, I’ll be shattered, but I get it. I hope him and the Raiders can strike a deal to pay him what he’s worth, but if they don’t and someone else does, then good luck to him.

Vibing

Juniors
Without a viable alternative he has the Raiders by the balls , he has ability & is a damaging player to opponents but...
not in the position he plays in. He is not a 5/8 , not a 5/8's clacker TBH

Hes a centre.
Strong runner , Strong defender

But couldn't organise a root on darlinghurst road with the 6 on his back.
So him going might be a good thing in the long run as long as we get a decent 6 to replace him

mongoose

Coach
I’m not too worried. He’s never tested himself on the open market, and since he’s signed his last contract he’s won a Dally M medal and a World Cup with Australia.

Do I hope he stays? Absolutely. He’s the face of the Raiders and probably my favourite current player.

Does the fact we’ve gone back to the Matt Frawley well - again - with Wighton suspended terrify me? Absolutely, because it means we have done no succession planning, so if he leaves we’ll be up shit creek without a paddle.

But let’s be realistic. He’s just turned 30 so this is going to be his last big payday in rugby league you would think. I’m a firm believer that players should extract every cent they can out of their short careers.

He’s given us some great memories. Sure, the club stood by him in some tough times, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking his talent didn’t have anything to do with that. They’ve sacked players for less. He’s done the right thing by the club in getting it out in the open nice and early and not stringing them along, which is more than you can say for some.

So if he does go, I’ll be shattered, but I get it. I hope him and the Raiders can strike a deal to pay him what he’s worth, but if they don’t and someone else does, then good luck to him.
Stuart has a succession plan mate... Blake Austin is only 32

skeepe

Immortal
Who else loves it when news/foxsports write articles about something one of their panellists said on one of their TV shows?
I wasn’t aware that they had any other articles anymore. Their match reports even include what the commentators were saying, and it really doesn’t translate well to print

Reactions: Vee

Munky

Coach
I wasn’t aware that they had any other articles anymore. Their match reports even include what the commentators were saying, and it really doesn’t translate well to print

It's like when doing uni assignments on a very niche topic and all the books and papers are referring to the same person's work over forty years.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade

An extremely agreeable and mature take Skeepey.

Canard

Immortal
Early last year, Jason Taumalolo needed to move clubs to save his career, and Todd Payten was the worst coach in the game. Later in the year, they were farting out articles weekly about how Jason was in career best form, and Todd was a genius.

Early this year, the Dolphins were quite possibly the worst NRL side ever put together. Suddenly, they've been such a success the NRL should expand to 20 teams.

They gaslight so much, it should be charged with abuse of all fans of RL.

Canard

Immortal

It's all just piss and vinegar for mine.

He'll stay.

What I'm more impressed with, is the hold Ricky has over news journalists, and how he gets them to frame the story. You have to admire him for it.

skeepe

Immortal
It's all just piss and vinegar for mine.

He'll stay.

What I'm more impressed with, is the hold Ricky has over news journalists, and how he gets them to frame the story. You have to admire him for it.
If only he was as good at this coaching gig as he’s convinced a bunch of journalists that he is.

You can say what you like about the strength of our squad, but we shouldn’t be 16th right now.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If I was Canberra Id let him test his value, he may get a bit of a shock

Fun Fact: the Raiders have won 8 of the last 10 games he's missed

GongPanther

Referee
Who else loves it when news/foxsports write articles about something one of their panellists said on one of their TV shows?
Rothfield on any Monday's version of NRL360, "...I have some exclusive breaking news on [ insert issue of the day ] as it will be in tomorrow's DT, and soon online...".

Vibing

Juniors
If I was Canberra Id let him test his value, he may get a bit of a shock

Fun Fact: the Raiders have won 8 of the last 10 games he's missed
Wayne has already said they'd pay over a mill for him , whether thats just stirring the pot in his feud with Stick I dunno

But hes an average 5/8 at best & the Raiders won't be winning any comps with him playing there