What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd be happy with a 6-3-3 split in campelltowns favor and this is from an old balmain fan

Again, from an outsiders perspective, I don't see why Balmain fans would be against this - piece of piss to get from Balmain territory to the SFS, as opposed to coming from Macarthur.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It's been pretty obvious from day 1 that Crowe was the dominant partner.

Well done on proving what I said was true with yet another example.

Here's the best one I know: LOL@50uFF$.

That is all. Thanks for your input. I look forward to your next pearl of wisdom re: joint ventures.

How the bears ended up playing second fiddle to your lot is sadness personified.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Seems only fair that campbelltown should get half the home games. Cant beleive that everything in RL comes down to a shit fight to the detriment of the game, Wests Tigers need to get their house in order for the benefit of all levels of RL in the inner west and south west of Sydney

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Said it before. I happily accepted the merge as in the best iunterets of both Wests and Balmain and happy enough for the new entity to be WestsTigers in the NRL comp with the mainly Tiger brand. I can accept the rationale for 1 x State CUp side although if the joint venture agreement says 2 x sides Wests and Balmain thats OK too. If only 1 x State Cup side is to be, it should be in the Wests colours.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
There's a commercial reality here. Same as there is at my mob.

Its the golden rule : The bloke with the gold makes the rules.

Sad to see the Maggies gone, but in reality, they have been gone for years.

Question - who got the better merger arrangements (assuming they are considered the junior partner and in pure terms of a 50/50 split) Illawarra or Western Suburbs? Both clubs have won a championship.

I say the Steelers. Same colours. Club uses Gong facilities. If they could sort the roof out on that stadium they'd be f**king sweet. Team in the NSW cup.

Anyway. Sad about Wests. Real sad. But its commercial reality.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Said it before. I happily accepted the merge as in the best iunterets of both Wests and Balmain and happy enough for the new entity to be WestsTigers in the NRL comp with the mainly Tiger brand. I can accept the rationale for 1 x State CUp side although if the joint venture agreement says 2 x sides Wests and Balmain thats OK too. If only 1 x State Cup side is to be, it should be in the Wests colours.

As an outsider, I agree with your sentiments.

Bluebag

Juniors
So if they have 1 SL team will it mean only 1 HM and SG ball team as well, if so removing an extra junior rep team only helps AFL as they are building a presence in the area, many of the players who have come through they system and told to play with Balmain did so even though they wanted to play with Wests. I hear there are a number of sponsors talking with Wests to help them out.

meltiger

First Grade
^ Any JV from SG Ball down would be madness. Let's hope that never happens.

If they start making 16yo's travel to Concord for training, then yes, these really DO have an argument.

But I guess you don't care, kind of a slap in the face for anyone trying to do good work in SW Sydney though.

Whether they specifically play for the Tigers? Not really, no.

Two of our best players are a Kiwi, and a Pom.

Maybe we should give them up for a Sth Western junior?

End of the day, there are two issues for me.

The first is the clubs funding the junior comps. This is the exact reason we end up in these scenarios. Take the damn responsibility away from the club and put it in the hands of the IC. People who will actually look at juniors as a priority, as opposed to the NRL clubs who will always see the top level franchise as number one (As they should)

Second is that in reality, it's 2012, and it's an international game. The sooner we move on from these clubs being seen as truly regionalised the better.

I'd be happy with a 6-3-3 split in campelltowns favor and this is from an old balmain fan

Why should Leichhardt give up all their share of the games for the SFS games? Particularly when the club is trying to do the right thing by the Sth West by giving them games that realy should be a part of the SFS package. (Canterbury last year, Parrascums this year)

What were the respective crowd figures this year between the two venues?

Split it 6/6

I do feel for the Sth Western fans with 8 games in the inner city, as the current split IS unfair to them but if the cry is "It's a JV" ... Then split the game evenly.

If only 1 x State Cup side is to be, it should be in the Wests colours.

Called the Balmain Magpies, with a Balmain Tiger on each sleeve of course?............

Call it the Wests Tigers and base them out of Campbelltown.

blackandwhite

Juniors
The HM and SG Ball will always have Balmain and Wests.

It doesn't make sense to have players training at different venues. Sheens has his squad of 40 odd players all training the same. Some will be NRL some NSW cup and a few NYC. There is an advantage to all training together.
Occasionally it would be nice if that training was at Campbelltown stadium.

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ext-step-for-wests-tigers-20120112-1pxjl.html

Divisions derailing next step for Wests Tigers

Roy Masters

January 13, 2012

ipad-art-wide-roy-masters-420x0.jpg
Happier times for the Magpies ... Wests coach Roy Masters and his players celebrate a semi-final win in 1980. Photo: Fairfax Archives.

The Wests Tigers joint venture between foundation clubs Western Suburbs and Balmain concludes at the end of the 2012 season, with bitter divisions in the Magpies camp threatening a peaceful renewal of the NRL club's licence.
The Wests half of the joint venture is divided into three shares - Wests licensed club at Ashfield, the Magpies football club and the Campbelltown leagues club - with ancient enmities undermining unity.
Balmain, despite not having a functional leagues club, operates as a single entity, with apparent harmony among officials and past players, although internal discord is kept under the radar.
Advertisement: Story continues below
art-353-benji-marshall-200x0.jpg
Benji Marshall wears the Magpies' heritage strip. Photo: Getty Images

Not surprisingly, Balmain's solidarity has resulted in the NRL club being perceived and promoted as the Tigers, with the gold of Balmain enjoying more prominence than the black and white of the Magpies.
Wests Tigers' choice of headquarters at Concord, and the NRL's insistence clubs be known by emblems, reinforces this. But the rise of a common enemy - the AFL's Greater Western Sydney franchise - has alarmed directors of both Balmain and Wests, particularly due to the Giants' decision to play in Tigers colours.
This has been interpreted as a signal the AFL has targeted the NRL club for extinction, with one Wests director saying: ''It is now unthinkable the NRL joint venture won't be renewed at the end of this season.''
Wests Ashfield, as the chief funder of the Magpies club, has taken radical steps to restore unity - requesting the resignation of the Magpies chairman Paul Dillon - and installing four new directors, including former Wests and Balmain player Mick Liubinskas.
Liubinskas, together with three former Wests first-grade coaches, convened a meeting of 60 past Magpies players in December, alerting them to the divisions and asking them to renew their memberships.
Wests Ashfield board members have also initiated fence-mending talks with Wests Campbelltown, whose representative on the Wests Tigers board has traditionally supported the Balmain representatives, meaning the Magpies are regularly outvoted at meetings.
The central cause of the Wests division is funding priorities. Wests football club spends most of the $400,000 allocated from Ashfield on a Magpies NSW Cup team to ensure the 104-year-old emblem of the club continues to exist in a senior competition.
Wests Ashfield, together with Balmain representatives on the Wests Tigers board, believes resources should be directed to the rich vein of junior talent in the Campbelltown region, with the Magpie emblem better displayed on the jumpers of junior representative players.
The Magpies football club has a dysfunctional relationship with its junior league and Campbelltown City Council, allowing other NRL clubs to plunder talent.
Nine members of Parramatta's winning Harold Matthews Cup (under-16) team were Wests juniors. Wests Tigers staff members, who have a close relationship with the Campbelltown junior league, have moved into the territory, fulfilling some functions they believe have been neglected by Magpies officials, handing them a $44,000 invoice for their services.
Some of the actions lack diplomacy and have incurred the wrath of Campbelltown-based Wests supporters who, angry that the region is allocated only four Wests Tigers games a year, perceive it to be a takeover by an inner-city club.
However, Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys, a former Balmain player, says he wants to embrace Wests' history and spoke passionately about it at a recent Magpies junior presentation. He argues a system where Wests juniors wearing jumpers badged with the Magpie have a pathway to the joint-venture team, and to potentially represent Australia, is the best lifeline for the club.
Humphreys says a single NSW Cup team would save the joint venture $500,000 and allow Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens to establish better combinations of relegated players, rather than have them split between two teams. He says the single NSW Cup team would wear Wests and Balmain heritage strips on alternative weeks.
But the feuding between the Wests factions means it is too late for a single Wests Tigers team, and separate teams will enter the NSW Cup in 2012.
Wests Ashfield has reluctantly agreed to this but, in accordance with standard policy, has not guaranteed funding to the Magpies beyond the coming season.
Midway through last year, Wests Magpies, under Dillon, initiated talks with St George Illawarra to become a feeder club for the Dragons. The move incensed both the Wests Tigers board and Wests Ashfield and was aborted when the Dragons withdrew.
A public rally by Wests supporters in the Campbelltown district is planned for February 5, but the new Magpies board hopes to convince its critics the enemy is not Balmain, but themselves.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ests-tigers-20120112-1pxjl.html#ixzz1jI5FXxj6

This certainly puts a different spin on things.

blackandwhite

Juniors
This certainly puts a different spin on things.

Same spin : Wests Tigers are an inner city team - Train at Concord.
Wests Tigers don't look after the juniors of Macarthur - Chris Lawrence only junior.
Wests Tigers don't look after the supporters of Macarthur - 4 games a year.
Nothing new there.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Typical Roy Masters rambling article...

with the gold of Balmain enjoying more prominence than the black and white of the Magpies.

What rubbish

This has been interpreted as a signal the AFL has targeted the NRL club for extinction

Yeah right - interpreted by who??

cleary89

Coach
Everyone says how bad illawarra have it in our JV, but do they really?
6 nrl games in the gong (5 at kogarah and 1 at sfs)
1 trial game in the gong (0 at kogarah)
Players train full time in the gong
Play in old colours and old jersey as our alternate jersey
Illawarra steelers nsw cup team (no st george)
An abundance of illawarra juniors in the nrl side

As a st george fan im more than happy for these (except an extra game at kogarah would be nice, but meh).

Pretty sure wests would take those in a heart beat.

cleary89

Coach
More so was the use of the red rag (all red, not even the steelers old jersey) that was used more times then the red v throught the season. Use it as a genuine alternate, or the games just in the gong and 95% would be happy with that.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Everyone says how bad illawarra have it in our JV, but do they really?
6 nrl games in the gong (5 at kogarah and 1 at sfs)
1 trial game in the gong (0 at kogarah)
Players train full time in the gong
Play in old colours and old jersey as our alternate jersey
Illawarra steelers nsw cup team (no st george)
An abundance of illawarra juniors in the nrl side

As a st george fan im more than happy for these (except an extra game at kogarah would be nice, but meh).

Pretty sure wests would take those in a heart beat.

Unfortunately there is only one Wayne Bennett and he knows the value of juniors. Tinkler also knows the value of Juniors. Steve Price is continuing with the system the great man set up.
In the meantime the inner city club that is Wests Tigers imports most of their players and the kids of Macarthur just don't have the same opportunities.

incomparable

Juniors
Sounds like the ramblings of an ex-magpie coach still living in the dark ages. All we need is Tommy Raudonikis to bag the current set up to make it complete.

adamkungl

Immortal
Tbh I was more interested in the insinuation that Wests football club is concentrating on the NSW Cup side at the expense of junior development. It paints a different picture to the Wests fans claiming the nasty men at Concord don't give Macarthur juniors a chance.

meltiger

First Grade
Tbh I was more interested in the insinuation that Wests football club is concentrating on the NSW Cup side at the expense of junior development. It paints a different picture to the Wests fans claiming the nasty men at Concord don't give Macarthur juniors a chance.

Yep.

Where is the explanation from the Magpie Warriors on here as to how it is the JOINT VENTURES fault that 9 U16's from the Western Suburbs district played at Parramatta?

You'll find that part of the reason there are little Sth Western juniors playing for the JV is Western Suburbs incompetence, nothing to do with the JV

But then, they have never been one to tell the truth. I saw one liar on WTF claiming Western Suburbs were the first team to take top line RL to the Sth West. LOL

Given that's penned by an old Western SUburbs man, I thought Roy's article was actually quite reasonable to both sides. It's certainly no attack on the Balmain side of the JV

Last edited: