What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The kid whose skills stun Joey

Frederick

Staff member
The kid whose skills stun Joey
By BARRY TOOHEY

He is known among teammates as "the King of Woy Woy".

No less a judge than Matthew Johns believes he has the potential to be a better winger than Kangaroos and Wallaby star Lote Tuqiri.

Meet the Newcastle Knights' latest teenage sensation Akuila Uate.

The 18-year old Fijian is in only his first full season in the Knights' Jersey Flegg side but already there are those prepared to say he will play for Australia.

Johns is one of them.

He saw him first hand for the first time against the Bulldogs at EnergyAustralia Stadium last Friday, and has been raving about his performance ever since.

"I couldn't believe it, to be honest," Johns said yesterday. "I'd heard some reports about him before, but he just blew me away with the way he went against the Bulldogs.

"I know its early days, but I think he is going to be a great player. This kid, without even trying to go over the top, has got the potential to be an even better player than Lote.

"He's big, he's strong, he has that aggressive streak in him, but what probably will separate him for Lote as he develops more is that he has this blinding pave. Obviously he has to dedicate himself and from here on it will be up to him, but he could develop into one of the best wingers we have ever seen."

Knights development manager Warren Smiles said 12 months ago he may have signed the next Tuqiri.

At the time there were those who doubted his bold prediction, but not anymore.

"He opened a few eyes the other day," Smiles said yesterday. "A fewgood judges who saw him play were shaking their heads and asking where we got this young bloke from."

Flegg coach Robert "Rip" Taylor first alerted Smiles to have a look at Uate playing at Woy Woy on the Central Coast. With a limited league background, he played Australian Schoolboys last season alongside Jarrod Mullen.

But his game has stepped up since then.

"He is still fairly green, but he is something really special - no doubt about that," Taylor said.

And he is apparently well grounded. Uate often gets the train to Newcastle for training, and was at high school until lunchtime last Friday in the build-up to the 3:50pm kick-off.

"His dad rang us to make sure we told Akuila we would like him to go to school on the morning of the game," Smiles said. "He really is a good kid."

Johns believe Uate, who is signed until the end of next year, should not be rushed.

"I'd be leaving him where he is and maybe introducing him to Premier League every so often, to give him a taste," he said.

"He doesn't need to be rushed because he is still learning the game."
No link, sorry. Article is from todays Daily Telegraph...my fingers hurt :|

Jono078

Referee
Sounds very good :). All weve had since July last year is good news basically :D.

Will have to keep a close eye on him next time I goto a Knights game.

And Roopy has been talking about him for some time now, hopefully we can wrap him up for a few more years before his contract expires.

Yeah he's class.

I've only seen his 3 games this year, but he has impressed the hell out of me in them. He made a fool of a few Doggies last week, and he grabbed a hatty the week before that against Canberra.

roopy

Referee
I agree that his game against the doggies saw him move to a new level.

Last year he played 8 games of SG Ball - many of them off the bench - for only 2 tries - but it was clear he was a tall kid with blinding speed and amazing stepping ability.

The main problem with him was that he was standing on the wing and not getting involved at all.

In the doggies game he was doing as many hitups as the forwards and going right across the field looking for the ball at times.

Last year people were asking how he defended, and i watched him in 5 or 6 games and had to say I had never seen him make a one-on-one tackle, so i couldn't say how he would go - but in the doggies game he was giving to them in defence.

In the off season he played and trained with the Fiji A side, and that would have done him the world of good to be playing against adults.

In the trial game in Wyong it was obvious that getting him involved was one of the tasks the team had been set - and both Walsh and Dureau were yelling to him in backplay that they were setting a play for him.

He is very raw, and only 17 years old or so, but he is progressing faster than Tahu IMO. He will play some PL this year, and a great off season could see him take Carney's spot next year.

knights9

Juniors
if he has got the potential to be an even better player than Lote than he must be really good.

roopy

Referee
knights9 said:
if he has got the potential to be an even better player than Lote than he must be really good.
He has only played about 12 games in Knights colours - and is still finding his feet in Jersey Flegg - so i think it is a bit early to be calling him the new Lote.

On the plus side - he is used to training as an athlete at a high level (his sprinting career) and he was named in the NSW rep side after about two starting games for the Knights - so a lot of people see a lot of potential in the kid.

antonius

Coach
Just a bit of a heads up, it isn't actually Joey giving him the wraps in that article, it's Matty Johns, either Barry Toohey or the paper has got them mixed up LOL. Nit picking I know, and it doesn't change the fact that he is a real talent.

roopy

Referee
aqua_duck said:
I know he's quick as darren albert possibly but how big is he? He looks round the 85kg mark
I got to see him close up in the Wyong trial game - and he is pretty tall - about 190 cm i'd say.

RABK

Referee
He is faster then Darren Albert.

Uate is about 90-92kg i believe, and only been 17 he will obviously grow a fair bit bigger. Hopefully he doesn't lose to much speed as he grows.

Gooba

Juniors
Hes up against an old team mate of mine Nick Taylor from wests on the weekend! we be interesting to see how they both go.. Watch out for nick on the weekend.. played for picton last year in the under 18s with me.. he go player of the year for picton and group 6, also playing the grand final for first grade scoring 2 trys! Btw ill be making the drive up to newcastle for the first time ever this weekend! been supporting them for 17 years but never been to a home game argh! Go The Knights in first grade! and in jersey flegg umm Go the knights and go nick taylor lol!

aqua_duck

Coach
190cm, 92kg, by next year he could be easily 96 or 97kg and still quick, maybe even quicker. He'd be the prototype fijian winger.

antonius

Coach
Everyone should try and get to the Flegg game this weekend, apart from Uate there are plenty of other talented future Knights stars in that team.

roopy

Referee
Can I also say that many will get their one and only chance to see the Ball team this weekend, and a few of the Ball guys are great prospects as well.

Callan Richardson is probably as good a prospect as Uate, Jenkinson is as good as Hinton or better, Dobbins and Miller are both gun forwards etc etc etc

astrogirl

First Grade
SG Ball is on at 11:35

Following is from the latest Knights newsletter

--------------------

Gates open at 10.20am for season ticket holders and members and 10.25am for the general public. Hunter Sports High v All Saints College kicks off at 10.25am, SG Ball Knights v Tigers at 11.35am, Jersey Flegg Knights v Magpies at 1.10pm and First Grade Knights v Warriors at 3.00pm.

Patrons are reminded the bar will not open until at 1.00pm due to the Newcastle Knights policy of alcohol free junior fixtures.

Roy

Juniors
has anyone got Uate's height/weight. I thought he was a small pocket rocket type player...