What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Pneuma

First Grade
'You're just negative" is a childish arguement.

What are the positives? Long term benefits
Quoting isn’t your strong point is it? As for the positives or negatives of the tournament , what I thought I would do was wait till I saw some actual details of the approach the NRL is going to take before I praise or criticise it. Novel approach but that’s how I roll.

Canard

Immortal
Quoting isn’t your strong point is it? As for the positives or negatives of the tournament , what I thought I would do was wait till I saw some actual details of the approach the NRL is going to take before I praise or criticise it. Novel approach but that’s how I roll.
So why bother commenting then mate?

It's a forum after all.

taste2taste

Juniors
I worked with a couple of yank surveyors and they loved league. It was the closest sport to the nfl they could watch. Had jerseys, kayo subscriptions etc. Hated afl as it was just a bunch of blokes jumping all over each other lol
League is more similar to Gridiron than most realise.
As Wayne Bennett said, league is basically Gridirion but without the huddles.

There's defiantly potential in North America, the Toronto Wolfpack were selling out home games....and no one in Canada knew what league was.

Before last years World Cup Final the local PI community had a street parade in Las Vegas, so if enough Aussies and locals are interested its possible to get a sold out stadium..hopefully we don't get a repeat of the disastrous Denver Eng V NZ test that was played in front of 15k people.

Last edited:

Someguy

First Grade
Should send North Queensland, Brisbane, Redcliffe, canberra, Penrith, and Gold Coast. Play a round robin tournament with the GC going retro chargers and giants for different games.

Iamback

Coach
League is more similar to Gridiron than most realise.
As Wayne Bennett said, league is basically Gridirion but without the huddles.

There's defiantly potential in North America, the Toronto Wolfpack were selling out home games....and no one in Canada knew what league was.

Before last years World Cup Final the local PI community had a street parade in Las Vegas, so if enough Aussies and locals are interested its possible to get a sold out stadium..hopefully we don't get a repeat of the disastrous Denver Eng V NZ test that was played in front of 15k people.

There was that in LV. Salt Lake City too had similar so there is something there

RedVee_8

Juniors
That's literally how I sold it to most of my clients and staff. 6 'downs' and no forward passes. They were always amazed with Origin etc.
I’ve got a guy in Kentucky watching NRL now with the ‘downs’ etc explanation. Sent him a link to a ‘diff between RL & RU’ YT as well. He likes the RL stuff the best but still calls it Rugby. :)
He actually messaged me the other day after watching Manly v Penrith saying he couldn’t understand when manly kicked it through early. I said ‘no one can’.

Last edited:

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade

NRL will use Las Vegas fixture to scout US athletes for potential code switch​

The NRL has revealed a key reason behind playing next year’s historic Las Vegas double-header will be an attempt to attract American footballers to make a shock switch.

Dean Ritchie
August 15, 2023 - 6:00AM

Rugby league is now targeting Uncle Sam.

The NRL has revealed a key reason behind playing next year’s historic Las Vegas double-header will be an attempt to attract American footballers to make a shock switch to Australian rugby league.

Rugby league is now pinching America’s famous war slogan and directing it back at US athletes: We Want You.
Manly, Souths, Sydney Roosters and Brisbane will play in much-hyped games in Nevada in late February.

“There is an opportunity for us to think about how potential Americans might actually have a pathway to play rugby league in Australia. It’s not just about acquiring fans,” said NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo. “This is an opportunity for us to showcase our sport to potential athletes from a pathway perspective back into the NRL. We are going to have our clubs over there."

“What an opportunity for those athletes that are thinking about a professional career having an alternative pathway. There are lots of avenues and opportunities here. This is a long-term strategy for how we might be able to take what we think is an unbelievably entertaining and engaging sport to a very large and passionate sports-made population in America.”

AMERICAN TRAILBLAZERS
Several Americans have attempted professional rugby league over the years while a number of NRL players have pursued the NFL.

Manfred Moore was the better known NFL star to play first grade rugby league in Australia. A running back with the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay and Oakland Raiders, Moore played four first grade games for Newtown in 1977, scoring a try on debut against Wests at Henson Park. He is the only player to score an NFL touchdown and NRL try. He debuted for the Jets just 98 days after competing for Oakland in the 1977 Super Bowl. Moore once famously threw a gridiron ball over the King George V Memorial Grandstand at Henson Park. Injuries cut short his rugby league career after playing four first grade games and he returned home to join the Minnesota Vikings.

There was an ill-fated attempt by an American to play NRL when Philadelphia roster wide receiver Greg Smith played one game for Newcastle in 1999. He played poorly and essentially vanished from rugby league.

MAKING THE JUMP TO LEAGUE
Paul Sironen secured an American football scholarship at the University of Hawaii as a defensive tackle in the early 1980s before returning home to carve out an imposing NRL career with the Balmain Tigers, NSW and Australia.

Asked about US players transitioning to rugby league, Sironen said, “They are remarkable athletes in America - big, strong, fast and powerful. You’d need 18 months to two years of (rugby league) education. You’d probably be looking at blokes coming out of college, aged around 21, 22."

“In all the physical testing, they would stack up every day of the week, I have no doubt whatsoever. It would more be outside backs that could have a chance of making the conversion a lot quicker than a forward. Given the number of guys who come out of the college system over there, you’d think there might be a couple of blokes who might have a chance."

“But it’s those nuisances in rugby league that you learn by playing the game since you’re a kid, little things you need to grow up with, they could be the difference; catch, pass, the subtle skills you pick up over the years – moving in defence, not getting caught on the ground. I have no doubt they would excel at lower levels.”

US college player Alvin E Kirkland toured Australia and New Zealand with the 1953 American All Stars. He returned to Australia in 1956 and played 18 games for the Parramatta Eels, scoring four tries.

AUSSIES IN THE NFL
NRL players Jarryd Hayne and Valentine Holmes have transferred to the NFL. Hayne played six games for the 49ers in 2015 with Holmes contested four pre-season matches for the New York Jets in 2019.

While he didn’t play first grade rugby league, South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata has become an NFL success with Philadelphia and was part of an Eagles side which played in this year’s Super Bowl.

Former champion Easts centre Mark Harris knocked back a spot on the 1973 Kangaroo tour to trial with the Philadelphia Eagles.After failing to secure a deal, Harris joined Canada’s Montreal Alouettes, playing seven games.

NRL-NFL CROSSOVER HISTORY​

NFL to NRL
* Manfred Moore was a running back with the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay and Oakland Raiders who played four first grade games for Newtown in 1977.
* Greg Smith was a Philadelphia roster wide receiver who played one game for Newcastle in 1999.
* US college player Alvin E Kirkland played 18 games for Parramatta in 1956.
NRL to NFL
* Paul Sironen secured an American football scholarship at the University of Hawaii as a defensive tackle in the early 1980s before becoming a Balmain, NSW and Australian legend.
* Jarryd Hayne played six games for San Francisco 49ers in 2015 before returning home to play for Gold Coast and then rejoining Parramatta.
* Val Holmes contested four preseason matches for the New York Jets in 2019 before signing with North Queensland Cowboys.
* South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata was part of the Philadelphia Eagles’ Super Bowl team this year.
* Former Easts centre Mark Harris trialled with the Philadelphia Eagles before signing with Canada’s Montreal Alouettes.
lol manfred moore