What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

The Great Dane

First Grade
My completely 100% marketing brain went directly to locations Americans may have heard, or at least, sound as though they aren't within a 15 minute drive from each other - as well as utilising the "cool" mascots as if you were selling the game to a kid.

In this train of thought, it's why I personally wouldn't send across South Sydney and Sydney in the same year. It's a small thing sure, but if this is likely a make or break scenario I'd avoid any potential hazard in terms of optics or confusion.

I would've selected the teams listed below if the above was all that went into picking the teams and money/promotion from celebs wasn't a factor:

2024:
Penrith Panthers: Cool mascot, location a non-issue since Penrith is entirely unknown over there.
Canberra Raiders - Cool mascot, tie in with the LV Raiders/NFL, location mostly unknown.
Brisbane Broncos - Recognisable mascot, location might ring a bell as a city other than Sydney/Melbourne.
Sydney Roosters - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.

2025:
Melbourne Storm - Very American-esque team name, recognisable city.
Manly Sea-Eagles - Similar to the above in terms of mascot, location unknown to the US much like Penrith.
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.
Newcastle Knights - American-esque mascot, location unknown but obviously different.
Celebrity/influencer endorsement is currently the most powerful marketing technique, and word of mouth the second. You'd also know that using the influence of famous supporters and owners to attract interest is the only hope the NRL has of making any sort of impact on the US market (even then it'd undoubtably be the equivalent of a pebble thrown in the ocean), and that strong word of mouth is their only hope of having a lasting impact.

The truth is that cracking the US market would take decades, cost tens of billions of dollars, and would inevitably result in a local competition that the NRL wouldn't really benefit from financially. In other words it's almost certainly a pipe dream that the NRL doesn't have the means to pull off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You think they’d pay even half of what they pay if there wasn’t an NZ team there?
Who knows? His assertion is that skynz are paying $32mill just for warriors games. Which is highly unlikely given the other 7 games rate higher combined by three fold than the warriors games.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Too complicated for you

nrl make massive profits from nz which they don’t reinvest back in nz rl

indeed Canberra benefit from this
Not complicated at all, it's just got absolutely nothing to do with what we were actually discussing. . .

Taking a profit isn't a crime either. They wouldn't do it at all if there was no profit to be made.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My completely 100% marketing brain went directly to locations Americans may have heard, or at least, sound as though they aren't within a 15 minute drive from each other - as well as utilising the "cool" mascots as if you were selling the game to a kid.

In this train of thought, it's why I personally wouldn't send across South Sydney and Sydney in the same year. It's a small thing sure, but if this is likely a make or break scenario I'd avoid any potential hazard in terms of optics or confusion.

I would've selected the teams listed below if the above was all that went into picking the teams and money/promotion from celebs wasn't a factor:

2024:
Penrith Panthers: Cool mascot, location a non-issue since Penrith is entirely unknown over there.
Canberra Raiders - Cool mascot, tie in with the LV Raiders/NFL, location mostly unknown.
Brisbane Broncos - Recognisable mascot, location might ring a bell as a city other than Sydney/Melbourne.
Sydney Roosters - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.

2025:
Melbourne Storm - Very American-esque team name, recognisable city.
Manly Sea-Eagles - Similar to the above in terms of mascot, location unknown to the US much like Penrith.
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.
Newcastle Knights - American-esque mascot, location unknown but obviously different.
Warriors - cool name with exotic mascot, location whole other country which instantly makes the NRL look like a bigger deal compared to just another city

Wb1234

Immortal
Not complicated at all, it's just got absolutely nothing to do with what we were actually discussing. . .

Taking a profit isn't a crime either. They wouldn't do it at all if there was no profit to be made.
Yes it does

if anyone has been neglected by the nrl is the warriors

a lot of Canberras problems are of their own making

the club has a property protfolio worth over 100 million and multiple leagues club supporting them

they should have no problems being a strong club

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So what your saying is that without an nrl team in America theres buckleys of getting any interest from usa tv companies?
Completely different scale, the US is a huge market, they’d never pay serious $ for the NRL but even as a niche foreign sport in a market of 300M the revenue would be substantial.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Completely different scale, the US is a huge market, they’d never pay serious $ for the NRL but even as a niche foreign sport in a market of 300M the revenue would be substantial.
Hang you said nz would pay nothing without a nz club in the comp. 300 x nothing is still nothing! How many American people do you honestly think will get interested in rl due to a double header once a year? NRL is already shown on tv in usa but I’m not aware it has got any traction or that the deal is worth anything worthwhile?
union has spent a lot more time and money then we ever will and has made little headway over there.

ironically we probably had a much better chance when we still allowed the biff, that would have got them interested at least.

ironically I applaud Vlandys, at least he’s been honest and said it’s really just about trying to tap into the gamblers, sad as that may be.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
God you’re a knob-end, I didn’t mean literally nothing, Sky would still screen the NRL and pay something for it, but that something would be a pittance.
60x a pittance though, that’s actually something.

Perth Red

Post Whore
God you’re a knob-end, I didn’t mean literally nothing, Sky would still screen the NRL and pay something for it, but that something would be a pittance.
60x a pittance though, that’s actually something.
My bad. When you said “2/10ths of f**k all“ I thought you actually meant it. I’ll be mindful to ignore you’re over exaggerations in future.