What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

gerg

Juniors
The were gonna send Penrith but even the most obnoxious Yanks would find them arrogant and unlikable.

How can you say such a thing? American athletes carry on like absolute wankers after scoring ... hooting and hollering ... gang signs ... getting in the faces of opponents. Rugby league players would nev.... oh PANFERS.

TheRam

Coach
They went to China.

At least with Vegas it's basically another planet but in a good way.

Compared to Beijing.

We should have put the work in China at grass roots. It wouldn't have relatively cost much at all. Now the man is dead and who knows where we are at it if at all. Every sport on the planet is getting into China including Rugby who are there in a major way. We are so short term planning it isn't funny. As for gamblers, is there any bigger culture of gamblers on the planet then the Chinese? China, China, China...

skeepe

Immortal
Typical missed opportunity by the NRL. The home team at Allegiant is called the Raiders FFS. So send the f**king Raiders.

Not to mention we were the ones trying to pioneer an overseas game to start the season way back when. But the NRL doesn’t give a f**k about us.

Pneuma

First Grade
Typical missed opportunity by the NRL. The home team at Allegiant is called the Raiders FFS. So send the f**king Raiders.

Not to mention we were the ones trying to pioneer an overseas game to start the season way back when. But the NRL doesn’t give a f**k about us.
I’ve never understood this. A team in our national capital should be a jewel in the crown. And first choice for an ANZAC day game.

Black Panther

Juniors
How can you say such a thing? American athletes carry on like absolute wankers after scoring ... hooting and hollering ... gang signs ... getting in the faces of opponents. Rugby league players would nev.... oh PANFERS.
Everyone loves to hate the winners though right. Souths and Manly are only going due to Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ve never understood this. A team in our national capital should be a jewel in the crown. And first choice for an ANZAC day game.
Yeah but they have to actually be GOOD for that and not coached by an overgrown infant

the Warriors should also be a jewel in the NRLs crown for similar reasons but because we’ve been a basket case more often than not, we generally haven’t earned that right. You don’t get that status purely by being from somewhere, you have to earn it on the field

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you were picking the four sides to best showcase the NRL’s status and reach as a competition as well as the best on field spectacle you’d pick Penrith, Brisbane, NZ and Melbourne, who also happen to be the top 4 sides at the start of this round.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah but they have to actually be GOOD for that and not coached by an overgrown infant

the Warriors should also be a jewel in the NRLs crown for similar reasons but because we’ve been a basket case more often than not, we generally haven’t earned that right. You don’t get that status purely by being from somewhere, you have to earn it on the field
Ricky is just an honest man in a world full of liars.

He's not always right, but he doesn't mince words and you know where you stand with him, and people will forever hate him for it. People don't want honesty, they want you tell them what they want and expect to hear.

You can't be a jewel in the crown if the governing body treats you like a redheaded stepchild either. The NRL totally ignores Canberra as much as possible, and seem to consider the whole region as a burden that they have to suffer more than anything else. Just look at how they approach the stadium negotiations in Canberra and the amount of premium RL content the ACT has received over the years compared to other markets. . .

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ricky is just an honest man in a world full of liars.

He's not always right, but he doesn't mince words and you know where you stand with him, and people will forever hate him for it. People don't want honesty, they want you tell them what they want and expect to hear.

You can't be a jewel in the crown if the governing body treats you like a redheaded stepchild either. The NRL totally ignores Canberra as much as possible, and seem to consider the whole region as a burden that they have to suffer more than anything else. Just look at how they approach the stadium negotiations in Canberra and the amount of premium RL content the ACT has received over the years compared to other markets. . .
Hey, we can relate to the red headed stepchild treatment too.

fact is unless you’re Brisbane, Melbourne or a glamour Sydney club the NRL doesn’t really care. Shit, they didn’t really care about Penrith till they got scarily good.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hey, we can relate to the red headed stepchild treatment too.

fact is unless you’re Brisbane, Melbourne or a glamour Sydney club the NRL doesn’t really care. Shit, they didn’t really care about Penrith till they got scarily good.
The historical incompetence of RL in NZ is nothing compared to the complete apathy that has been shown by head office towards Canberra and the Capital Region for multiple generations, and all of Newcastle, NQ, and the GC have seen significantly more support from head office than Canberra ever has.

I mean multiple anonymous administrators have been caught over the years saying that the NSWRL/ARL/NRL needs the Raiders, but they'd be better off without them. The last one (definitely not Shane Richardson lol) unknowingly said exactly that in the presence of a reporter from the Canberra Times in about 2014/15, and the NRL had to pressure them not to publish the quotes with his name attached.

Last edited:

dannlarusso

Juniors
My completely 100% marketing brain went directly to locations Americans may have heard, or at least, sound as though they aren't within a 15 minute drive from each other - as well as utilising the "cool" mascots as if you were selling the game to a kid.

In this train of thought, it's why I personally wouldn't send across South Sydney and Sydney in the same year. It's a small thing sure, but if this is likely a make or break scenario I'd avoid any potential hazard in terms of optics or confusion.

I would've selected the teams listed below if the above was all that went into picking the teams and money/promotion from celebs wasn't a factor:

2024:
Penrith Panthers: Cool mascot, location a non-issue since Penrith is entirely unknown over there.
Canberra Raiders - Cool mascot, tie in with the LV Raiders/NFL, location mostly unknown.
Brisbane Broncos - Recognisable mascot, location might ring a bell as a city other than Sydney/Melbourne.
Sydney Roosters - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.

2025:
Melbourne Storm - Very American-esque team name, recognisable city.
Manly Sea-Eagles - Similar to the above in terms of mascot, location unknown to the US much like Penrith.
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.
Newcastle Knights - American-esque mascot, location unknown but obviously different.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My completely 100% marketing brain went directly to locations Americans may have heard, or at least, sound as though they aren't within a 15 minute drive from each other - as well as utilising the "cool" mascots as if you were selling the game to a kid.

In this train of thought, it's why I personally wouldn't send across South Sydney and Sydney in the same year. It's a small thing sure, but if this is likely a make or break scenario I'd avoid any potential hazard in terms of optics or confusion.

I would've selected the teams listed below if the above was all that went into picking the teams and money/promotion from celebs wasn't a factor:

2024:
Penrith Panthers: Cool mascot, location a non-issue since Penrith is entirely unknown over there.
Canberra Raiders - Cool mascot, tie in with the LV Raiders/NFL, location mostly unknown.
Brisbane Broncos - Recognisable mascot, location might ring a bell as a city other than Sydney/Melbourne.
Sydney Roosters - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.

2025:
Manly Sea-Eagles - Similar to the above in terms of mascot, location unknown to the US much like Penrith.
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Odd, likely humerous mascot to US fans, instantly recognisable city.
Newcastle Knights - American-esque mascot, location unknown but obviously different.
This isnt about growing the game or making rugby league popular in America, you’d need a much more comprehensive strategy and long term investment to even make a dent in that.

Gamblers at 2am looking for something to pss their money away on dont care who the clubs are or what their mascots are. That’s who this whole Vlandys circus is for.

Wb1234

Immortal
The historical incompetence of RL in NZ is nothing compared to the complete apathy that has been shown by head office towards Canberra and the Capital region for multiple generations.
Lmao sky nz tv deal 32 million minus warriors grant 15 million minis nzrl funding 2 million

profit 15 million pa

hrundi99

First Grade

2024:

2025:
Manly is pretty well known in conjunction with Bondi.

Not household name but def a tourist destination.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Too complicated for you

nrl make massive profits from nz which they don’t reinvest back in nz rl

indeed Canberra benefit from this
You think skynz are only buying nrl because of warriors despite them showing the other 7 nrl games every weekend?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly is pretty well known in conjunction with Bondi.

Not household name but def a tourist destination.
Haha most Americans struggle to differentiate Austria and Australia, I’m pretty confident 99.9% of them have never heard of manly.

Latest posts