What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Pneuma

First Grade
So according to a quick google, an NFL field is 49m wide, which is about 20m shorter then a standard NRL one.

That's going to make the game a fair bit more congested?
Just pick smaller players with short legs. Problem solved.

Pneuma

First Grade
No it doesn't. Go read the discussion again because I can't be bothered repeating myself.

The Raiders more or less completely run and fund grassroots RL for the entire region (and ever slowly expanding into more parts of Southern NSW were possible) despite the fact that it's not their job. They do it because it just wouldn't happen if they didn't. In other words the NSWRL, NRL, ARLC, so badly neglect RL in the region that it'd shrivel up and die within a generation or two if the Raiders didn't step in.

The NRL does nothing to promote the sport in this region outside of the advertising on Nine and Fox. In other words it's effectively a ghost, except when the Raiders pick up the slack and do their job for them again. There's literally more advertising for the AFL here despite the fact that there's no local team, which is insane on the face of it.

Despite the fact that we're the f**king capital, were the most logical location to host on multiple occasions, and the most competitive sports market in the league, you can count on one hand the number of times that Canberra has hosted premium RL content, and it's always been given begrudgingly and half arsed when we have.

I could on and on, but the point, if it wasn't clear already, is that it isn't about money or whose struggling on the pitch, it's about the NRL's attitude towards and treatment of certain constituents.
Solid. Spot on. Don’t always agree with you but that really is solid.

Iamback

Coach
Panthers used to play more ad lib but they are so good theycrush teams out of the game

the storm aren’t boring at all they’ve adapted to vlanyds ball well

reality is broncos or warriors would get torn apart by the panthers in a grand final right now

Look at the players we lost. We adapted to keep winning

Iamback

Coach
Solid. Spot on. Don’t always agree with you but that really is solid.

To be fair. The clubs are best placed to know the local area. This model is best.

Say the NRL tipped in millions $ but said the money has to go to x, y and z.

I can't imagine it would go down to well being told by Sydney where to spend the money 400km away

Pneuma

First Grade
To be fair. The clubs are best placed to know the local area. This model is best.

Say the NRL tipped in millions $ but said the money has to go to x, y and z.

I can't imagine it would go down to well being told by Sydney where to spend the money 400km away
He’s local. He knows. I’ll back him on this one.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So according to a quick google, an NFL field is 49m wide, which is about 20m shorter then a standard NRL one.

That's going to make the game a fair bit more congested?
The actual pitch at Allegiant is 110x75 yards, which is approximately 100x68m.

so width wise it can accommodate an RL pitch, but it’ll need to be somewhat shortened.

Iamback

Coach
He’s local. He knows. I’ll back him on this one.

I am not doubting what he is saying.

I am doubting that the NRL giving the clubs 30% over the salary cap. To fund juniors isn't the best use of the funds.

That is $50m worth of funding being tipped in. Or should someone in an office in Sydney just pay that directly where they feel it should go?

That is the alternative here.

Iamback

Coach

so width wise it can accommodate an RL pitch, but it’ll need to be somewhat shortened.

How does it compare to the soccer fields we see used in England?

Some of those have dodgy measurements

Munky

Coach
Anyone remember the farce circa 2004 with the Kangaroos playing the Tomahawks on IIRC a smaller than regulation field?

Wb1234

Referee
Anyone remember the farce circa 2004 with the Kangaroos playing the Tomahawks on IIRC a smaller than regulation field?
More so the grass

think it was mason who copped.a serious injury

many games in england are played on short soccer pitches like ot

Canard

Immortal

And narrow it to, (they will need some room on the sidelines).

Unfortunately with this constraint, I don't think the games will be much of a spectacle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And narrow it to, (they will need some room on the sidelines).

Unfortunately with this constraint, I don't think the games will be much of a spectacle.
Surely there are massive sideline areas that can be used for a rl pitch? nfl teams have a cast of thousands stood on the sidelines.

wazdog

Juniors
Hollywood megastar and South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe shares his vision for rugby league in the USA

He is the most famous name attached to rugby league and if the NRL is any chance of cracking the US market then they need Russell Crowe to lend a helping hand.

Michael Carayannis

August 20, 2023 5:00 am

South Sydney co-owner and Hollywood mega star Russell Crowe says the NRL can crack the desired US market but warned “I don’t think it’s impossible but it’s quite a difficult task.”

Crowe has shared his vision for the game as the NRL looks to make its mark in America ahead of the double header in Las Vegas next year which will kickstart the competition.

Crowe’s South Sydney side will be joined alongside Brisbane, Manly and the Roosters to be part of the historic event.

The NRL has plans to take the game to the US for at least five years. Crowe said the NRL must remain committed to the project after a few false starts.

“There have been a few half-hearted attempts in the past that have failed to make any real inroads,” Crowe said. “If the plan is to actually make inroads into the market, that needs to be a five to 10 year commitment.”

HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA

The NRL received word just days ago that the NFL had cleared them to use Allegiant Stadium, home of the Las Vegas Raiders. The stadium holds 65,000.

Crowe said there needs to be broadcast access for the US public to remain engaged.

“Firstly, the game has to be accessible in two ways,” Crowe said. “How do you watch it? “A fan has to be able to see all the games and follow results and be kept up to date with all the variables that a fan likes to track.”

EDUCATION

Rugby league’s similar concept to the NFL in terms of offence and defence will help with the American audience understanding the game according to Crowe.

However it is the assumed knowledge that Australians possess which may be difficult to translate to a new market.

“What I have found personally is that it is very easy to get Americans interested in the game, with our defined period of offence/defence it is similar enough to NFL for them to grasp the basics quickly,” Crowe said.

“An American sports fan is a passionate fan. They love the athleticism, and the speed of the game excites them.

“What is hard to explain sometimes over four to five games is the inconsistency of the way matches are adjudicated.

“Where rugby league has history, mainly UK and Australia long suffering fans are used to the inconsistency and we employ many phrases like “ bounce of the ball” and “rub of the green” to explain the inconsistency away.

“For someone new to the sport, the idea for example, that a forward pass is illegal, yet there are multiple uncalled forward passes in every game, is hard to compute. Especially on scoring plays, when the technology is available to assist a correct decision.

“The same confusion reigns when it comes to defence and what is legal and illegal contact. To really have a chance of expanding the game of rugby league the product has to be consistent.”

KEY AREAS

Crowe said the NRL needed to nail “logistic, effort and timing” to ensure the event would not be a one-off.

“It’s their plan, so, hopefully the NRL have budgeted it properly and can provide well for the teams involved,” Crowe said. “A professional well run environment around the game and player preparation, will send good signals.

“A national broadcaster showing the game in the US, but also across Canada and Mexico has to be the aim.”

HELPING HAND

The NRL would be silly not to use Crowe’s pulling power in the US to promote the game. Crowe and Manly diehard fan Hugh Jackman are major drawcards.

South Sydney are expected to play Manly and the Roosters will play Brisbane. Crowe said he would be willing to help.

“If the NRL can generate interest in the game within America, there may be a small role for me to play in amplifying that interest,” Crowe said.

The matches will be shown on Sunday March 3 in Australia with the rest of the competition to complete round one the following week

RedVee_8

Juniors
I hope that all the teams will wear their traditional “home” uniforms. None of the teams involved have a jersey clash.

Pneuma

First Grade
Hollywood megastar and South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe shares his vision for rugby league in the USA

He is the most famous name attached to rugby league and if the NRL is any chance of cracking the US market then they need Russell Crowe to lend a helping hand.

Michael Carayannis

August 20, 2023 5:00 am

South Sydney co-owner and Hollywood mega star Russell Crowe says the NRL can crack the desired US market but warned “I don’t think it’s impossible but it’s quite a difficult task.”

Crowe has shared his vision for the game as the NRL looks to make its mark in America ahead of the double header in Las Vegas next year which will kickstart the competition.

Crowe’s South Sydney side will be joined alongside Brisbane, Manly and the Roosters to be part of the historic event.

The NRL has plans to take the game to the US for at least five years. Crowe said the NRL must remain committed to the project after a few false starts.

“There have been a few half-hearted attempts in the past that have failed to make any real inroads,” Crowe said. “If the plan is to actually make inroads into the market, that needs to be a five to 10 year commitment.”

HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA

The NRL received word just days ago that the NFL had cleared them to use Allegiant Stadium, home of the Las Vegas Raiders. The stadium holds 65,000.

Crowe said there needs to be broadcast access for the US public to remain engaged.

“Firstly, the game has to be accessible in two ways,” Crowe said. “How do you watch it? “A fan has to be able to see all the games and follow results and be kept up to date with all the variables that a fan likes to track.”

EDUCATION

Rugby league’s similar concept to the NFL in terms of offence and defence will help with the American audience understanding the game according to Crowe.

However it is the assumed knowledge that Australians possess which may be difficult to translate to a new market.

“What I have found personally is that it is very easy to get Americans interested in the game, with our defined period of offence/defence it is similar enough to NFL for them to grasp the basics quickly,” Crowe said.

“An American sports fan is a passionate fan. They love the athleticism, and the speed of the game excites them.

“What is hard to explain sometimes over four to five games is the inconsistency of the way matches are adjudicated.

“Where rugby league has history, mainly UK and Australia long suffering fans are used to the inconsistency and we employ many phrases like “ bounce of the ball” and “rub of the green” to explain the inconsistency away.

“For someone new to the sport, the idea for example, that a forward pass is illegal, yet there are multiple uncalled forward passes in every game, is hard to compute. Especially on scoring plays, when the technology is available to assist a correct decision.

“The same confusion reigns when it comes to defence and what is legal and illegal contact. To really have a chance of expanding the game of rugby league the product has to be consistent.”

KEY AREAS

Crowe said the NRL needed to nail “logistic, effort and timing” to ensure the event would not be a one-off.

“It’s their plan, so, hopefully the NRL have budgeted it properly and can provide well for the teams involved,” Crowe said. “A professional well run environment around the game and player preparation, will send good signals.

“A national broadcaster showing the game in the US, but also across Canada and Mexico has to be the aim.”

HELPING HAND

The NRL would be silly not to use Crowe’s pulling power in the US to promote the game. Crowe and Manly diehard fan Hugh Jackman are major drawcards.

South Sydney are expected to play Manly and the Roosters will play Brisbane. Crowe said he would be willing to help.

“If the NRL can generate interest in the game within America, there may be a small role for me to play in amplifying that interest,” Crowe said.

The matches will be shown on Sunday March 3 in Australia with the rest of the competition to complete round one the following week

Thanks for posting mate